Volkswagen = Subaru engine swap D-428-1

Ser Dan
Customer comes in with a 1984 Volkswagen Vanagon, vehicle has a 1994 Subaru 2.2 liter motor.
no emissions label
no BAR referee label
CARB label on the doorjamb with D-428-1 on it
Google D-428-1 and it checks out. Its a legit CARB number for swapping out the motor
but there is no BAR referee label

I tell the customer to go to the Referee

What is up with this CARB number..should the vehicle need a BAR referee label?

Also the smog book lists that motor having 2 cat-converters, vehicle only had one...

Re: Volkswagen = Subaru engine swap D-428-1

none
That EO# label says one cat and gives a part number doesn't it?

Re: Volkswagen = Subaru engine swap D-428-1

defective
This goes either way.  It was even discussed on the CalArc forum with no real answer.  The Ref will say it can be smogged as is, without a BAR label for the swap since it has an EO#.  They may or may not do the inspection and labeling for the customer.  There is still nothing in writing in the manual that says this, but it does say "all engine changes require a bar label".  Ive passed a handful with no repercussions, and dont even worry about it anymore.

Re: Volkswagen = Subaru engine swap D-428-1

Ser Dan
Cat converter D-182-65 was on there
D-182-65 is OK for a 1984 Vanagon but NOT OK for a 1994 Subaru

in over my head with this one I punted it
told the customer the previous guy who passed it may know something I don't and to take it back to them

Re: Volkswagen = Subaru engine swap D-428-1

805smogtech
Seen quite a few of those. All the ones I did had Referee labels. Sometimes they like to put them in some weird places where you'd never look. Need to look for the BAR Referee label. If you don't see one, send them to the ref to get one and then once they do, smog it off the label. That's a pretty popular swap it seems

Re: Volkswagen = Subaru engine swap D-428-1

none
I always just smogged them with the EO label but I got one about a year ago that a local shop just did the swap so I sent them to the REF even though it had the EO label and the REF told them it doesn't need a BAR label and I was wrong to send them to the REF.

The KENNEDY kit shows the required cat part number on the EO label.

Re: Volkswagen = Subaru engine swap D-428-1

Best Answer I Can Give
 Because of the confusion of the subject, you can get a DING.Have to love it.
 Sometimes you have to be Smarter than the Equipment you are working with.

Re: Volkswagen = Subaru engine swap D-428-1

dcf1ver
Im confused. Is this a straight engine swap or some kind of kit?

Re: Volkswagen = Subaru engine swap D-428-1

none
It is a kit from KENNEDY. You supply the engine and they sell all the adapter parts.

Re: Volkswagen = Subaru engine swap D-428-1

RICHARDCRANIUM
I would want a referee label,it is the grey areas that BAR will use against you.
Shop owner 21 Years, 36+ year Smog Technician.
Inspector and repair Tech. I began in the BAR 84 platform.
Been current ever since. Momma said I hit my head a lot as a kid!

Re: Volkswagen = Subaru engine swap D-428-1

dcf1ver
It is a kit from KENNEDY. You supply the engine and they sell all the adapter parts.
Ah ok.

Never heard of a CARB approved engine swap. But their site says it is.

I think I would inspect for all the relevant components and pass it if everything is there. Its not like a regular swap because this one has an EO number already.

Re: Volkswagen = Subaru engine swap D-428-1

805smogtech
that's a pretty common engine swap. (engine swap should have referee label). i find it hard to believe so many of those damned vanagans are still on the road. guy around the corner used to bring me a bunch of old vw vanagans and beetles all the time (3 or 4 a week). they didn't do smogs, just maintenance and repairs. even had to run one on the dyno one time because one of the junk heaps he brought me was registered down somewhere in LA county. first one i ever saw with the subi swap had a bar referee label, as did the other few i've smogged. if it didn't i'd send them, and they always came back with labels.

also remember someone can swap a subi engine into a vanagan without the kit mentioned above. thats not the only way

 Check out the GM I Rod. Full 100% engine swap on a EO#
 Sometimes you have to be Smarter than the Equipment you are working with.

Re: Volkswagen = Subaru engine swap D-428-1

Ram Rod
Even though it has a EO number the vehicle still needs to get a referee inspection and referee label.

Re: Volkswagen = Subaru engine swap D-428-1

I think you mean the E-Rod, and it's priced far beyond my budget (and the budgets of many).

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

 Yes sorry E Rod.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Subaru-Vanagons-td5054946.html

Where did D go?  He had some good info in that thread.

 Got tired of people. I talked to him.
 Sometimes you have to be Smarter than the Equipment you are working with.

Re: Volkswagen = Subaru engine swap D-428-1

dcf1ver
defective wrote
http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Subaru-Vanagons-td5054946.html

Where did D go?  He had some good info in that thread.
Hmmm After reading this link I change my stance. I would send it to the Ref.

As someone in that link pointed out,we are governed by the BAR not CARB. We have to follow BAR rules when doing our jobs and they have it in writing that engine swaps need to be reffed

There are no exceptions given.

Re: Volkswagen = Subaru engine swap D-428-1

dano
B.A.R. governs by rules and laws set forth from C.A.R.B. and A.R.B
12