WE ARE INADVERTENTLY SCREWING EACHOTHER AND OURSELVES

WE ARE INADVERTENTLY SCREWING EACHOTHER AND OURSELVES

autojoe505
WE ARE ALL SO PARANOID ABOUT FPR SCORES WE FAIL MORE CARS THAN EVER RIGHT? WELL THAT IS GOOD BUT BAD... EVERY TIME I FAIL A CAR I AM LOWERING SOMEBODY'S (MAYBE MY OWN) FPR SCORE. BECAUSE IT IS FAILING IN THIS CYCLE, WHOEVER PASSED IT LAST CYCLE WILL BE TAKING A HIT. SO THINK ABOUT THIS, IF IT TAKES TWO YEARS FROM THE DAY YOU PASS A CAR TO SEE IF IT LOWERS YOUR SCORE (BECAUSE WE SMOG BY-YEARLY). THAT MEANS THE EFFORTS WE MADE TO ENSURE A GOOD SCORE IS WHAT WILL LIKELY HURT US.. DAYUM.... ISN'T THAT IRONIC, DONT CHA THINK?

Re: WE ARE INADVERTENTLY SCREWING EACHOTHER AND OURSELVES

Kriss Vector

Re: WE ARE INADVERTENTLY SCREWING EACHOTHER AND OURSELVES

smog king101
people are losing thier jobs left and right . the last thing they care about is fixing their cars unless it has performance isssues. Bar your full of shit. face the facts.

Re: WE ARE INADVERTENTLY SCREWING EACHOTHER AND OURSELVES

Karupt
 I try to not nitpick at cars , if their light is on we tell them to go fix it , we do not fail for gas caps cause we give new ones right here, the only way that car will fail is emmissions or evap , possible timing.
   But yep ,as auto joe says we are inadvertently screwing ourselves, and others when we fail a car for gas cap ,or let's say a minuscule crack in the hose. The Bar would not know because they drive vehicles that are sixyrs old and newer.

Re: WE ARE INADVERTENTLY SCREWING EACHOTHER AND OURSELVES

Monkey
Yep we stick it to ourselves in our own way. I too give a gas cap if it needs one and I also let customers know about the Mil. But what really hurts us are the tire/auto repair shops that do the minimum repair to help their good customer that we (smog shops) have failed and send them to the shop that charges $20.00 to test and pass it for them. BAR needs to get on board..

Re: WE ARE INADVERTENTLY SCREWING EACHOTHER AND OURSELVES

autojoe505
good point monky they need to regulate non smog shops that fix smog... they dont know what they are doing.

Re: WE ARE INADVERTENTLY SCREWING EACHOTHER AND OURSELVES

smogman
Here's a perfect example of your point autojoe.

A car passed 2 years ago at our shop.  Last week it came for biennial smog but has 2 monitors unset, so I suggested customer to keep driving.  He went to another shop and they go ahead smoged it anyway but failed the vehicle for Other Emission Related, which some techs out there  would love to do to avoid initial test with MAX monitors unset. Now I got dinged for something that not totally my fault.

Re: WE ARE INADVERTENTLY SCREWING EACHOTHER AND OURSELVES

Karupt
Smogman, Ditto! Or  they fail it for gas cap and it still generates money for the shop. But messes up somebody else,s FPR.

Re: WE ARE INADVERTENTLY SCREWING EACHOTHER AND OURSELVES

Customer can file compliant for that. Who the F fails monitors under other emissions

Re: WE ARE INADVERTENTLY SCREWING EACHOTHER AND OURSELVES

Karupt
Fiend x I have heard that some shops are so hard up they will test the vehicle already knowing it has max monitors ,do not want to take a " ding " want to make the money , so fail it for gas cap or "other " . Which of course is not legal . But that is the objective of the STAR program, let the dogs fight for the scraps as we phase all of em out!  I myself keep a record of how many max readiness monitors I have tested for the week ,some I will test some I will not. If customer comes back then fine ,if not ,somebody else will take a max readiness ding ,or fail the vehicle then I will take the FPR hit. It is not a win win . I think star stands for see they're all removed!

Re: WE ARE INADVERTENTLY SCREWING EACHOTHER AND OURSELVES

deviationmaster
I read that max readiness ding applies to the initial inspection of the cycle.
Will u get dinged if I am the second shop doing the test after it has failed for max readineff

Re: WE ARE INADVERTENTLY SCREWING EACHOTHER AND OURSELVES

Karupt
You do not get dinged ,nor does anyone if the vehicle Fails for obd system not ready. You get dinged if you do not precheck a car and it has max monitors. Which makes absolutely no sense , car and customer leave with Asa's but tech and station now have a point against them for the car passing LEGALLY but not having enough monitors set? WHY not just incorporate the monitors into the parameters of a passed test?