WW or ESP

Peter
Which is better "Worldwide" or ESP Gen 3 for BAR 97. I am planning to go for one of those. Please vote or feed back.Thanks

Note. I do have ESP Gen 3 at my one location but I am not fully satisfied. Cons: Zero Air. No 12 Volt power. Poor/no communication with OBD.

Re: WW or ESP

Best Answer I Can Give
 Can't answer. Never used a WW. The Opus I'm using could learn some things from the Old SPX Machine. How can a new computer be SO FUCKING SLOW?
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.
iha

Re: WW or ESP

iha
WW has no issue with zero air, 12 volt power, and communication with OBD. With WW on reboot you most likely have to go thru warm up cycle!

Re: WW or ESP

hello
I have been very fortunate with my WW as of late. There is maybe a 5% chance that I have to go through warmup on a reboot.

Re: WW or ESP

Peter

iha wrote
WW has no issue with zero air, 12 volt power, and communication with OBD. With WW on reboot you most likely have to go thru warm up cycle!
Thanks for feed back. Please confirm that new WW has a builtin Zero Gas Generator like older WW machine.
iha

Re: WW or ESP

iha
Yup, No zero air to buy with WW bar 97. Only high and low gas!

Re: WW or ESP

Best Answer I Can Give
 One of the smarter guys on this site is None.
I phoned and talked to him one night, about, if I should sell my 2nd dyno.
He made a very good point. Why sell it. If the State ever wakes up and you need one you will then pay a lot more than what you sold it for. It is costing you nothing to keep it in the ground. SMART.

 Now I do not agree at all with None and buying a new unit. My reasons.
Buy. $14000 with a 1 year service contract. What is a new yearly contract going to cost? My SPX was $300 a month. The Rent on the Opus is @$450 a month. So I look at it as it cost me @$150 a month. Get rid of the 2 phone lines at @$75 a month, Hell I'm even. That's when they go Inter Net.
None, bought the machine after a year what will it cost him? How much will be the service contract. @$300. I heard the ESP contract was closer to $400 a month.

 Now as to WW. The reason I didn't go with them? Read some of the post on this site. Service and the so called repairs, SUCKED. Down time is money out of your pocket. They go somewhere else. Is it worth the chance of you never seeing them again.

 Yes my Opus has some problems. But service is pretty quick and done right.

 The FACT that we only have TWO to choose from? Now as I understand it, that has brockeen some rule under the State Charter. You must have 3. 3 because the 1 always keeps the other 2 HONEST.
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.

Re: WW or ESP

defective
ESP gen3 here, gas cap calibration failed again for the 3rd time now since we got the machine in July.  Now the waiting game for the tech to come down and fix it.  Had some random OBD tester initialization issues early on where it would cause a false fail on an inspection.  Cable itself is cumbersome to use(long cord to obd module, short cord to DLC).  Its marginally better than the gen2.

Re: WW or ESP

Lose weight
Gen 3 has many issues. Wonder if the WW is any better.

Re: WW or ESP

defective wrote
...  Cable itself is cumbersome to use(long cord to obd module, short cord to DLC) ...
Yeah, I wonder why they did that.  It almost seems like they want you to have easy access to the buttons on the interface while you're inside the vehicle, but I have not yet had the slightest need for any of those buttons, inside or outside the vehicle.

Re: WW or ESP

NO I'm not smart and NO I didn't buy my machine.

I rent my ESP GEN3. The WW made sense to buy it out right if you don't finance it but I too heard too many horror stories about their service. “better the devil you know than the devil you don't”

Re: WW or ESP

defective wrote
...Its marginally better than the gen2.
I still like my GEN2 better but most of that is because it is just what I'm used to. I like the RPM pick up better on the GEN2 whether OBDII cable or the antenna thing.

Try getting the RPM off a 94 BMW 525 with a bad cig lighter on a GEN3. The battery is in the trunk and it has coil-on-plug.

Re: WW or ESP

Best Answer I Can Give
 Sorry None you talked about buying it. I was wrong.

 The long cord is a SPX thing. Hell it looks like the SPX one. The only good thing about it is you can see if it is powered.

 OPUS RPM SUCK.
Had many more ways of getting a RPM off the SPX.

 Go buy or make up a cig lighter to battery clamp lead. You can now use the Cig plug anywhere you can get 12 Volts. Long jumper wires.
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.

Re: WW or ESP

I clip the coil wire on those beasts. Had to do that with the gen2 for a long time cause the wand was broke.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: WW or ESP

none
Coils are under a plastic cover. There is a 12V Jump lug in the engine bay though. I just am used to my ESP GEN2 and everything on mine works.

Re: WW or ESP

I used to work with the ESP gen 1 and gen 2 and they are or were very good machines. Cannot say anything about the gen 3 cause we have a WW . The WW is abort-happy . If you have a gas cap on the tester and it fails , the WW needs to check its own gascaptester before you can put the gas cap back on there . My boss kept entering ok and it aborted the test because it just had to check itself out first ! Also if you try to go back for anything , you cannot =abort . The cable to the obd is long but not long enough to reach a motorhome .The esp would offer an extension to the obd cable , the WW did not come with an extension to anything =abort . You cannot soft reboot  just hard reboot  . That reboot requires a mandatory 30 minute warm up ! Also have to be careful on the way they worded their timing questions . For instance , it asks - Is the rpm out of manafacturer specifications? But only after it asks you -Is the timing adjustable ? so i enter a y and then the second question is an N not a Y . Other than these problems , I guess its pretty solid and very fast !

Re: WW or ESP

tampered
I recommend the ESP (gen 3) over the WW for the sole reason that it is abort proof and requires a very short warmup when abort proofing.  Funny how the difference between the two (12 v external capability) creates two different pass/fail criteria for OBD comm.
If everyone fixed their own cars, my car would be fixed.