Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

user7112
I have been slow. A shop nearby is advertising $19.99 plus certificate for their smogs. I called in and got quoted $30 out the door for 2 different type of vehicles.

Leaving my feelings and ego out of this post. I feel like I have to price match to stay in business
yes it sucks but i have to play ball.

I honestly look up to and value the opinions of some technicians on here. Want your guys thoughts on this.

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

Newbiesmogtech
Are they star certified? 30 dollars is inconceivable to me especially with the rising cost of rent. Maybe they tack on fees after?

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

user7112
Yup star certified
I cant imagine it either
they do repair work too
Maybe that helps?

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

none
user7112 wrote
...they do repair work too Maybe that helps?
I'm sure it is a LOSS LEADER. They probably have a high fail rate or try to get people in the door to upsell other work.

One shop tried that in my area several years ago. It didn't last and nobody joined the race to the bottom.

BTW, are you sure he didn't know it was you calling? I have had people call that I was sure they were another  shop by the way they asked.

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

user7112
None you are saying from your experience to not price match?

Nah I called from my cellphone and asked a bunch of dumb questions like
"do you do smogs"
"how much? oh i don't need the certificate i'm going to the DMV and giving it to them myself"
" $30?!?!?! your sign says $19.99!"
" No pass no pay right?"
"how long does it take?"

I feel like they didn't realize im a tech myself

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

SoCalSmogGuy
It's common for repair shops to have a dirt cheap smog. Stand your ground and do not lower your price brother. As the cost of every single thing in this state goes up, it is inconceivable to believe the price of smog going down. I will be raising prices beginning of 2020 to compensate for the vehicles lost due to AB1274.
Work Smarter AND Harder

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

Hang in there bud. I have 5-7 shops around me within a 1 mile radius and I've never engaged in price wars with the one shop up the street that was doing DAD smogs for $30(he's now charging $50). Besides, cheap prices brings in cheap bottom of the barrel ppl. The ppl that bite the $30 hook usually don't have money for the repairs.

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

SoCalSmogGuy wrote
I will be raising prices beginning of 2020 to compensate for the vehicles lost due to AB1274.

What are you currently charging for a DAD smog if you don't mind me asking?

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

SoCalSmogGuy
No One wrote
What are you currently charging for a DAD smog if you don't mind me asking?
Don't mind at all brother.

My 'full' price is $49.99 for inspection plus $8.25 for cert and $1.75 for electronic transfer, so out-the-door is $59.99.

I put 'full' in quotations because I run a 'daily promo' of $10 off which makes the total $49.99 and I also run mail/online coupons for $15 off which makes the total $44.95.
Work Smarter AND Harder

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

timmy
user7112 wrote

There's alot of factors when it comes to setting your prices. How much are monthly expenses? What are shops around you charging for a smog? How long have you been in business at your location? Can you survive from what your charging? If not, you might want to drop your prices a little, making something is better than nothing. I would love to charge $60 for OIS and $80 for BAR97 but thats not realistic for me cause shops around me charge $40 to $60. We've been here for over 20 years so 90% of customers are repeat or referrals from non-STAR shops around me. We make a decent living but nothing spectacular. I'm able to my bills, mortgage and save a little so thats all that matters to me. What matters is how much money do you need to make to keep your business running. When we first started out, we charged $29. As time went by we raised our prices little by little when our customer base grew.

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

user7112
Thanks guys.
That's exactly what im thinking!
with minimum going up a dollar a year for the next couple years i dont see how things could get cheaper.

Going to be 100% honest with you no one
I charge $35 out the door....
so the guy down the street is $5 cheaper

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

BasicTech678
user7112 wrote
Thanks guys.
That's exactly what im thinking!
with minimum going up a dollar a year for the next couple years i dont see how things could get cheaper.

Going to be 100% honest with you no one
I charge $35 out the door....
so the guy down the street is $5 cheaper
dont go cheaper just offer pass or no pay or restest whatever for 2000+ only its just a gimmick. dont advertise just for those who call you. make them feel special, say no we dont but i can for you. then when they come pre scan the vehicle takes 2 min of your time. if its ready run that shit, if it missing monitors explain it to them to drive it. if the light is on punt it.

i prescan most my vehicle 80% are returning customers i have gained over the past 8+ years. i rather spend the 2 min prescaning over running the whole test only to have it be (not ready) and if your charging for monitors not being ready i highly doubt they will be returning.

this works for me, do what works for you. dont bend on older vehicles most are charing alot more since the number of shops doing bar-97 inspections has gone way down.

you will be surprised how many of those people asking for pass or no pay just dont know about the smog program so they are scared and worried the car will fail for shit like, abs light, oil light ect. this dont include people with shit boxes that already failed and are just looking for another test but dont want to pay.

do your self a favor prescan and check history the history tells alot about the car and customer.

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

Reading this thread I see a few guys still charge a "TRANSFER FEE". That is not allowed by BAR.

"...fees for electronic communication with the Smog Check database, and the like, is prohibited. CCR ยง 3356(g)"

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/WriteItRight.pdf PAGE 14

Im guilty of charging a transfer fee
like 90% of shops ive worked at charge a transfer fee

I put 'full' in quotations because I run a 'daily promo' of $10 off which makes the total $49.99 and I also run mail/online coupons for $15 off which makes the total $44.95.
So what would be your new price coming 2020?

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

DR. Smog
It's simple math. How long will it take you to make $100.

30 out the door is 20 profit. So you need 5 cars to make $100. But in those 5 cars you will only get cheap broken cars that always fail.

If you charge 60 out the door. It comes to 50 profit. You only need 2 cars to make $100.

Yes you will be doing less cars but you have more time to inspect correctly. You still make more money then the $30 smog guys.

Am at 60 and 80 for 1999 and older. My coupons are 45 and 60 for 1999 and older.

Am at 60 and 80 for 1999 and older. My coupons are 45 and 60 for 1999 and older.
you charge $60 (ois) and $80 (bar 97). the guy a few miles away charges $45 (ois) and $60 (bar 97). you are going to lose customers. pretty easy math there too

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

D Rochells 150861
Plenty of shops successfully charge higher by not being douchebags, and it all balances out to about the same average. The low price retards and the super high gougers are another story.

how do you advertise your coupons? social media?

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

805smogtech
well established shops, with long time customers, i can see charging more. but the new shop on the block, nah
12