Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

xcinlb
You charge based on what it takes to keep the doors open and make a living. We have some shops that in hood that look like abandoned building, sign faded, small stall aside repair shop/gas station. I'm sure their rent is cheap and can offer lower prices. Customer pics where to go, some will go to the hood to save $10 others won't. Everyone should be upping their prices by at least $10 to $15. Rents and bills in Ca are not cheap and everything keeps going up. Don't believe CPI Consumer Price Index, they track crap like TV's and Refrigerators, how ofter do you buy that? Food/utilities/labor/supplies/rents/fuel and taxes keep going up.
Yea, many repair shops throw everything off with their loss leaders, and rip off the consumers with high repairs.

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

none
xcinlb wrote
... We have some shops that in hood that look like abandoned building, sign faded, small stall ...
Sounds like my shop.

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

I test only going away

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019, 10:58 AM user7112 [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have been slow. A shop nearby is advertising $19.99 plus certificate for their smogs. I called in and got quoted $30 out the door for 2 different type of vehicles.

Leaving my feelings and ego out of this post. I feel like I have to price match to stay in business
yes it sucks but i have to play ball.

I honestly look up to and value the opinions of some technicians on here. Want your guys thoughts on this.

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

user7112
Amen

Its picking up for me now
being grateful right now

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

How do people charge that much with the way this fucking state loves to have their hands in our pockets? Rent went up, light bill went up, and taxes on everything including the fucking air we breath.

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

D Rochells 150861 wrote
Well my asshole neighbor put up a 29.99 sign, so I put up our old 19.99 sign until he takes it down. This shit is so retarded.
Really Dude?

You're participating in the race to the bottom?

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

No One
D Rochells 150861 wrote
make up the money by setting monitors. Then the price is going up to $100.
You work at a test and repair? And how much do you charge for setting monitors? I've charged $100-120 depending on my mood.

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

scanner
No One wrote
I charge $105.  Almost all are referrals.  Usually it's only the cat that needs to run.  I evaluate the vehicle before I accept the job and put it on the dyno  If I think I can't do it within 10 minutes, I'll tell the consumer that we need to diagnose the vehicle.   I don't do the dyno run if I think there's a problem.  It would be a waste of everyone's time.   Better to put the money towards diagnosis.

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)

scanner
D Rochells 150861 wrote
We are doing it way too cheap at $60
If you're running the one monitor that hasn't run for the last 500 miles, they will be glad to pay you $100 for 10 minutes of work.   If they balk, tell them to drive another 500 miles, and you'll recheck the monitors for them.

BTW, Don't tell them it's only going to take 10 minutes.

Re: Want an honest discussion about a $19.99 smog test ($30 out the door)