Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

Able
I usually close shop at 5pm but was approached by a representive of a dealership asking if I wanna do smogs for them at $32 per smog cert included. They pay me once a month. They claim to have 5 smogs per week.

At first I said 32 is too low. I can do 40. But they didn't seem too happy. Maybe 35 will work. They will bring the cars to me. This is a BMW dealership.

I have his business card info and plan to contact him sometimes this week.

Anybody experience with dealership accounts? Any headaches there? I'm also looking for someone to run my shop absentee style. Will this make it even harder for absentee owners?

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

ThePharmacist
My experiences working with full fledged dealerships are either they aren't star certified and they will only send you whole sale cars which is usually buckets that would have to go on the dyno or they don't have a smog tech and will probably will bring you newer vehicle that they wanna sell on their used car lot which is mostly OIS vehicles. I'm sure you can also negotiate how much more for vehicles 95 and older

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

I doubt the BMW dealer sells anything older than 2000.

I have a couple new car dealers that I do Star smogs for and I smog for several used car dealers. I find the GOOD used car dealers easier because I type the invoice when I have time. The new car dealers need an invoice every time and they need a PO#. They also require insurance information and I had to have a special "rider" for Roseville Toyota when I did some for them. I do $40 OTD for regular dealers that I see at least several times a month. The two new car dealers I do smogs for now are very easy to get paid from and usually pay before they even get a statement.

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

No dealers no way no how! Charge more and NO DEALERS!

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

Best Answer I Can Give
 I have accounts with just about every dealer in this town. Even those that have a person. STAR cars. I also charge $49.
The dealer is allowed to charge $50.
I get them in and out.

 NOW, why was he looking? TO FUCKING CHEAP. The last guy got tired of there CRAP.
5 a Week, BULL! 5 a month if you are lucky. My Big dealer. I may see 20 a month from them, and that's a GOOD month.
Some pay early some pay late.

 One location, 3 different dealer have SCREWED me out of money. The last one @$800. He went BK.

 My question to you, and should be your question to the BMW guy is WHY? What happened to your last guy?

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

Johnnybeme
So Besta

Why would the price of the smog matter when it is illegal to sublet?

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

none
Johnnybeme wrote
So Besta

Why would the price of the smog matter when it is illegal to sublet?

JM
 The dealers aren't subletting the smog. They own the cars. It is their car.

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

Best Answer I Can Give
 I do the used cars.
The Ford Dealer in this town, his smog guy went out for a new knee. They would send there stuff to me. "Right now we don't have a guy but you can take it to ****, they can do it. REFERRAL.
I did there stuff for 2 months.

 Subletting Smog Check? That is the biggest joke in the world. It's like not talking on the cell phone. It's against the LAW. But it happens DAILY.
Who's going to stop them. The people only care about one thing. LET ME DRIVE MY CAR. Do you honestly think the people give a rat's Fuck about us and that Check Engine light?

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

Kriss Vector

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

So you trust that the dealer does not include in his price for the car the vehicle smog check? If a consumer ever questioned a dealer and saw charges for the smog check he could complain and he would be right. This is a good question to ponder cause you know the dealer passes what ever he needs to on to the customer to make more money. Just a thought.

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

Icemawg
I personally have bought my last truck from the same dealer I do smogs for. They bring maybe 6-10 a week and always pay cash 40$. No estimate or work order required as they are not a consumer. Now when I bought my truck his contract said $70 for smog check. I did not care at the time as I did not want this truck to leave my sight again. So these dealers mark our work up on the sale contract and are just tryin to make a few extra bucks on our back.  Hell no $40 bux is a decent deal , 2 dubs every smog check and tell him you will get him before the line if your need a sales pitch. Dealerships do add profit it's just more hassle than the average joe. Sometimes,, if you don't you are feeding your competitors.
Just for today

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

Johnnybeme
So the extra money they made on the smog is not sublet?

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

none
It isn't a sublet because they own the car. I'm not sure what you are trying to get at JM but I know it is legal and I make money at it so I'm happy.

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

The last seven used cars I bought were from local used car dealers, including three from my boss.  I personally certified all but one of them to complete the transactions, and my boss collected the money for those six, because I was using his shop and his machines.

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Last I knew was a dealer could only charge no more than $50. Maybe the law has changed.

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

locopoco
I charge them per car and cash on hand,$40 for all monitors complete and $60 if evap isn't ready yet.
I lost money couple years ago when one of those used car dealers bellied up and filed for bankruptcy,so no more credit.

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

Able
They are keeping their promise. Many cars to smog BUT all of them need drive cycles! They park 5-6 cars at my place and my wife and i drive them with scanners afterwork.

About 30-60mintues  per car. Still that's time on my part. It's alright so far. It gets done and it adds to my total smog count.

Now if i can force monitor readiness, I'll be a happy camper. I don't get it. These beemers are new, like 2015 MY but monitors aren't ready? Do they just set around the dealership and batteries get drained?

Anybody have a detail guide to force these monitors?

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Able, NOW YOU KNOW WHY.

 Bring me a vehicle and expect me to set monitors for $40. COLD DAY.
They probably have a guy doing the good ones for less.

40 Bucks?

Re: Was approach by a dealership yesterday.

The only way I will run monitors on a dealers car is by driving it home which I do at times. The new car dealers and used car dealer I work with run their own monitors. The two new car dealers have a lot porter run them and I will send them out with my cheap code reader with the flashing lights for incomplete monitors (kind of hard to screw that up). The used car dealers have their own scanners usually.

If it is slow I may shuttle cars back and forth but I even avoid spending time on that. I will let them take my old 96 4Runner back if I don't have time to smog one right away or if they have several cars to switch out.