We all park manuals in gear right?

Cause I get one or two customers a year who start the car after I park it and get freaked out its in gear and act like I'm the crazy one.

Also, old people that park an AT in N with the engine running, knock that shit off!

Re: We all park manuals in gear right?

A couple a year here as well.  I got cussed out big time on a few.

Re: We all park manuals in gear right?

Thick6
yes, if customer doesn't know how to park a manual then maybe we help them learn

Re: We all park manuals in gear right?

Able
Yeah, that's what I do naturally.

But have had instances where customers and family members freak out when the car jumps.

Can see why it's problematic.

Re: We all park manuals in gear right?

I checked the DMV drivers license handbook to see if I had evidence to support my side. It does say you must put it in gear to park on a hill. Based on the conditions of parking brakes (emergency breaks to the customers) in general around here I will continue leaving in gear.

Re: We all park manuals in gear right?

Best Answer I Can Give
 An OLD man who was driving before Automatic transmissions were ever thought of taught me to leave it in gear. It is another safety, Cable could break\Rust out\Not be on tight enough.

 He also said to leave it in second. He also taught that if it won't go in 1st go to 2nd first and then go back to first. It also works if it won't go in reverse.

 Always leave it in gear. The teacher? My old man. RIP.

If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: We all park manuals in gear right?

If you have a low-compression engine, you should probably leave it in first or reverse for maximum effect. I heard a story about a guy who was doing some head work on a slight slope, and the car got away from him while he was in the middle of removing the head bolts.

Re: We all park manuals in gear right?

Best Answer I Can Give
 The truth be KNOWN, It is not a parking brake. It is a "Emergency Brake"

 The first cars had mechanical brakes. When they went to a Fluid type brake system, the law makers where smart enough to realize if a brake line broke NO BRAKES, thus a "Emergency Brake" Vehicles had to have a "Mechanical Brake."
The first fluid brakes had ONE master Cylinder hooked to all wheels. One line gave up. One wheel cylinder went away. NO STOP THE HORSELESS CARRIAGE.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: We all park manuals in gear right?

In school they told us the customers were too dumb to be told that, as they would use that brake instead of the foot brake in situations in emergencies that did not involve brake failure.

When I park the car for the customer, I only use the parking brake on AT if the customer had used it when they parked. Otherwise I have to try not to laugh as the non users try to figure out why the car isn't moving. But then the people who do use the parking brake have usually driven with it on enough that it's not working too well anyway.

Re: We all park manuals in gear right?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Yes it is amazing how many don't use it.

 Slowest morning we have had in weeks. One car One phone call.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: We all park manuals in gear right?

I put them in gear and never had an issue but this is hilly country. I also set the parking brake on every car. That has thrown a few for a loop.

I'm surprised and a little shocked since you are so close to San Francisco that people don't put their car in gear. Parking on those hills scares me.

Re: We all park manuals in gear right?

The truth be KNOWN, It is not a parking brake. It is a "Emergency Brake"

i heard cant find the source though its the other way around they started off as EMERGENCY Brake, but do to the liability involved if it FAILED in an emergency situation you could possibly sue them.  when the prius had that problem of accelerating did the EMERGENCY BRAKE help HELL NO.

it can definitely prevent your car from rolling away on a steep hill, but not stopping/slowing down a moving vehicle moving at 60 MPH +

https://jalopnik.com/5488716/runaway-toyota-prius-stopped-by-california-patrol-car

You better let the manufacturers know that then because I have been looking for the last couple of days and all I see is " ((P)) BRAKE " or some version of that. I don't think the P stands for EMERGENCY.

Re: We all park manuals in gear right?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Thank you None, You just pointed out what I find FUNNY.

 20 Years ago I had a Brake and Lamp. That's where plus my old man told me the reason we had, NOTICE HAD a Emergency Brake.

 Today they call it a Parking brake. The reason it was to be on the vehicle has been changed.

 Yes the people of today are much smarter than the guys who wrote the laws to begin with. They are rewriting rules that they never knew why we had that rule.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: We all park manuals in gear right?

none
You were mentioning single stage master cylinders above but I think that by 1970 a two stage master cylinder is required. That could be when they changed the terminology too.

Re: We all park manuals in gear right?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Hey could be.

 Take a look at a Air Brake system on a Class A truck. The back half of the air can is a "Mechanical" way to stop the truck.

 All I know is, back when, It was to be a Mechanical" way of stopping a vehicle if the fluid system could not.
With dual masters and the brake systems we have today, not being able to stop a vehicle is like nothing.

 It's just to me another way the laws have been perverted. Just because we have a better system does not mean it could not fail.
 Laws are written, Safety laws are written with some ones blood.

 Just the whole lack of, Why was this law written? It was written for safety. The fact that D brings this up. WTF the amount of people who don't use it is scary. I park on a slight hill. Truck is a manual. You bet your sweet ass the parking\ emergency brakes gets put on. and it get's put on tight.

 The fucking lack of education we have, yet we drive a weapon that will kill a person and not even care.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: We all park manuals in gear right?

With dual masters and the brake systems we have today, not being able to stop a vehicle is like nothing.

 It's just to me another way the laws have been perverted. Just because we have a better system does not mean it could not fail.
I have lost count of the vehicles I have smogged with NO reverse and/or NO F**King brakes.

Re: We all park manuals in gear right?

deathbysmog
Always in gear, like i'm going to trust your POS parking break. Happens all the time i always get a chuckle out of it.

 Mr Barry, The amount of times you step on the brake to slow it down on the Dyno. and NOTHING happens.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: We all park manuals in gear right?

Smogtech
if not with remote start
12