Weekly

Re: Weekly

D wrote
Well, here we have a lot of cars passing with pending codes and then being ignored for 2 years. Maybe not everyone needs to be scanned more frequently, just cars with pending codes and incomplete monitors.
That sounds like a good idea, but didn't you say

D wrote
The amount of problem vehicles and their rate of failure and retirement are not worth the time, effort and funding to do anything special.
Wouldn't the vehicles you describe sorta fit into that category?  You said a lot, but statistically would it really be a lot?   Everyone here laments that they've seen tailpipe failures while passing OBDII, but it's not a significant amount.

Unfortunately it seems like the poor people who can't afford to pay for diagnosis and repair end up going this route.
Unfortunately, that's the way it is.  Those are the ones that say to me "You going to charge me to tell me what's wrong with my car?"

They're the same ones who want a bottom line price, and if it's $350 to get a certificate, they're fine with that.   There's a light at the end of the tunnel, and all they want is that certificate.

Cheaters are always going to cheat, unfortunately BAR only concentrates on the techs that cheat, not the customers. And if the market wasn't so saturated with shops, perhaps techs could make enough money that the financial gain of cheating wasn't so tempting.
If the news reports that a few consumers went to jail or fined a significant amount, it will probably cut down on the amount of requests for cheating.

If a shop owner gets closed down,  he will probably open another shop in his wife's name and go on with his "business".

Re: Weekly

 Being an OLD FART, seeing what I saw. THE AIR DID NOT GET CLEAN UNTIL BAR 97 WAS PUT IN PLACE. Simple, no room for argument. The plain fucking TRUTH. NOx.
Hell when bar 97 started some cars had a NOx limit of 5000. Some of them would GP.

 THE AIR DID NOT GET REALLY CLEAN UNTIL WE TESTED FOR AND CLEANED UP NOx. NOx is the problem not HC. The earth puts out HC daily. OIL SEEPS.
OIS does not check for NOx. It looks at the math. The Math that can be lied to (Ask VW).

 But the truth is, WHY DO I CARE? I'll be dead, and all the work that guys like JM, None, Scanner, and all us old farts will just be wasted for the all mighty BUCK.

Re: Weekly

Re: Weekly

Re: Weekly

D wrote
Well from the BAR and ARBs viewpoint it doesn't make sense, I on the other hand feel they could stop wasting money in some areas and work towards having the cleanest air in the country despite having the greatest number of vehicles in the country.
Yeah, and if I were King.............

BAR takes the cat off of Honda Accords to use as UCs, that just does not make sense to me. Make some dirty air to catch a lazy tech...
If they worked the demand side, and went after the "Johns", that would make more sense to me.

And the poor, stupid people, I don't have an answer there. There are a lot of them and they drive these old cars for a long time. I think the very nature of it being a "test", is the wrong approach. We don't really need certificates and all this drama, the cars just need to be fixed.
or retired.  Some of those old beaters are in a constant state of disrepair.   They would do a lot for the air if they took the retirement money and put towards a Corolla. :-)

I personally would change the CAP program to a 2000+ Corolla swap program. In their spare time BAR would purchase and refurbish said Corollas.
Right, they take a licking, and keep on tic............   uh, yeah........

Re: Weekly

Let me be clear that I was only saying that I think OIS works well on 2000 and newer. As an example, if you look at a 96-98 Toyota 3.4L V6 (5vz-fe) truck you will see plenty fail for NOx with all self tests complete. If you look at the same 3.4L trucks 2000-2004, I can't remember one ever failing for NOx with all the self tests complete. The earlier ones will have slow oxygen sensors that will NOT flag a code but that is not a problem on the later ones with better self diagnostic systems.

I think this is one of the reasons BAR chose 2000 and newer for OIS and it was the reason I did free retests only on 1999 and newer before OIS started.

Re: Weekly

Best Answer I Can Give
 All good stuff, but a couple things have been overlooked here.

 How many years ago did we STOP testing 2000 and newer? How many MILES ago? How much more wear and tear ago? How many Reflash ago?
Why do we test? If the vehicle always stayed new and clean we would be out of a job.

 The better pass guy. I just put a new engine in it. I always want to look at them and ask, Did you put new 02's in. How about a new EGR and computer and all the stuff it controls?

 My whole problem is, We had a system. We knew it cleaned the air. We KNEW what was coming out the tail pipe.
We Police. Face it, WE Are Air Cop's.

 The 2000 may have passed every time when we tested them with less time and mileage. Who say's years and mileage later that same pass then car has not gone to HELL?
What's to STOP a reflash from really making the vehicle POLLUTE? I'SURE every reflash has gone to EPA foe approval, Yah Right.

Re: Weekly

Re: Weekly

A 2000 Toyota 3.4L Tacoma won't pass OIS with a slow response on the "oxygen sensors" because they are "air/fuel ratio sensors" and will throw a code long before the older ones would.