What about our protection?

smoginstructor
Business and Profession Code 9880.3.  Protection of the public shall be the highest priority for
the Bureau of Automotive Repair in exercising its licensing,
regulatory, and disciplinary functions. Whenever the protection of
the public is inconsistent with other interests sought to be
promoted, the protection of the public shall be paramount.

Re: What about our protection?

Karupt
  There SHALL be no protection for your licencees. ITs right there between the lines .

Re: What about our protection?

FRUSTRATED
Our protection, ha! the BAR doesn't give a rats ass about us.  As for the public, they don't give a rats ass about us either, pass my F'n car and you can insult their mom, but hold now, vehicle fails, shit, who do I complain to, not fair, give me my $$ back, isn't free if I don't pass.  So back to the BAR, they say the do audits on the stations (under cover runs) to assure they are doing the public right.  And those that fail the audit, the public shouldn't worry as they will chi ching collect heavy fines to correct their evil cheating ways.  There, that sums up the shitty BAR and public attitude to us as shops and our protection.  BAR bends us over and they don't lube it!

Re: What about our protection?

Citation Addict
One of these days one of us will be bringing up charges of preditorally defrauding a business, false and misleading statments, fraud by deciet, violations of the H&S code (not only is it against state law to tamper with emission controls, its also against federal law on the federal level. BAR broke the law setting up the UC cars), Violations of the B&P codes, Dishonesty....ect

The problem here is the state leaves thier regulations open to interpretation, there interpretation.

Re: What about our protection?

FRUSTRATED
Bplacke, the catch is none of the audits.....eeeeerrrr under cover runs have vehicles that pollute, if you notice they all do good on emissions, it is a hard to find tamper that they nail you on, but emissions will be fine on the car.

Re: What about our protection?

Citation Addict
One of the things Id like to challenge the BAR on is the tamper they recently cited me for. If the tamper is supposed to cause high emissions, why dont I see that in the results putting aside the catalyst is doing its job in ruduction and oxydation? Should it not be more pronounced? I should see failing test results.

This is like saying the MIL causes high tailpipe emissions just becuse its on. Not always.

Re: What about our protection?

FRUSTRATED
Bplacke, this is exactly my point!

Re: What about our protection?

Citation Addict
The angle i see it from is. Isnt this why we have emissions testing? To assure the cars are not producing noxious fumes that pose a danger to the general public health. In spite of a tampered emissions control, the emissions are still clean by state and federal standards; therefore, it poses not eminent danger of producing noxious fumes from the tailpipe.

Re: What about our protection?

FRUSTRATED
Our tech said that at one of his ASE classes the instructor mentioned to the class that BAR cannot break the law and make a car pollute by failing emissions.  Therefore the under cover cars will always pass emissions.  This is 2nd hand info so it might be wrong, if anyone has been dinged WITH A CITATION on a car that failed for emissions please let us know.

So the lunacy in this is we get bent over for fines of up to $5000 now on a car that is not failing emissions.

Re: What about our protection?

smogtech19
no they never use a car that will fail emissions thats the whole point of it all.

Re: What about our protection?

I would love to know how BAR can remove an EGR and have emissions clean. Those genius engineers should be working for automakers .
   I can understand how the check engine light will not trigger on with a missing air injection but to pass emissions with advanced timing, or now even missing cat?!!!

Re: What about our protection?

007
Two things on this point. Are the emissions passing or are the telling the computer to put in false readings when that vehicle is smogged, not that hard to write a program to do that. It's one thing if we were running a im240 test we might see some of these tampered vehicles fail tail pipe emissions. But with a asm test it is easy to make them pass emissions with tampers.

Re: What about our protection?

Karupt
Good point 007 I'm leaning more toward them adjusting the af mixture ,because they are known to drive these vehicles in ( except for the obd2 ones) and cannot pollute the air.