What are the rules for federal cat converters and EO family numbers?

What are the rules for federal cat converters and EO family numbers?

StarTech
My friend messaged me and asked what to do. He has a federal emission label and the engine family doesn’t match the catalytic converter listed on the database. Muffler shop says it’s correct. Is there a different rule for federal cars?

Re: What are the rules for federal cat converters and EO family numbers?

Hard Nox
Match it up by vehicle application. EO# and Part# . Location of the cat for a vehicle that has multiple cats.

Engine Family is Not a criteria.

If there is No cat that will match up, such as California has 2 cats, and the Fed only has 1. No cat is available.  OEM parts or Ref.

This information is on the ARB website. Q & A Catalytic Converter Replacement.
Don't have the page on hand right now. I do have it posted in the shop for reference from time to time.

The ARB does not mention the Ref option.

Re: What are the rules for federal cat converters and EO family numbers?

Hard Nox
"California Air Resources Board"
"Frequently Asked Questions"
"New Aftermarket Catalytic Converters Installation Requirements"

This is the title of the document

Re: What are the rules for federal cat converters and EO family numbers?

manboobs

The ARB does not mention the Ref option.
Glad to see this thread pop up again, been getting mixed messages from both the BAR representative and other techs. I could not for the life of me find under Apendix C of the Smog Check manual state whereas a technician would not reference the engine family number on a federal vehicle when verifying the correct catalytic converter application for the inspected vehicle. I called the local BAR field representative asking about the same exact scenario as in the OP and the BAR representative told me to reference the underhood label including the engine family number regardless of federal or california certification. I know the answer is in the FAQ page but this should be in writing on the Smog Check manual somewhere right? Knowing how messed up BAR is they can just say "Well it's not in the smog check manual, here's your citation" and you are SOL.

Re: What are the rules for federal cat converters and EO family numbers?

FiendFX
Does anyone knows the phone number to the ARB that checks the catalytic converter for us?

Re: What are the rules for federal cat converters and EO family numbers?

Juicebox
Federal vehicles do not require an engine family test group match. They say just pick one off of the list for the same vehicle year make model engine size for a California certification.