What do you do if OIS down?

toyotech
What do you technicians do if your BAR-OIS is down? Send them away? Ask consumers to come back if they can? Test on BAR-97?

Let say, What if the whole OIS server is down and NO stations can not run BAR OIS inspections, what options do we have?

Re: What do you do if OIS down?

nissantech
get a hooker.

Re: What do you do if OIS down?

Sweep the floor.
Clean the restroom.
Wash and vacuum your car.
Visit an internet forum or two.
Check the tire pressures on all the cars within reach of your air hose.
Make a snot rocket outside and check in the mirror to make sure that nothing stuck to your face or shirt.
Fiddle with your nuts.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: What do you do if OIS down?

Clear their monitors, run a pre-test on BAR 97, tell them it failed and collect some money.

Re: What do you do if OIS down?

kfworry
It could be that you loose your internet connection and it "appears" the BAR OIS is down.
My wire less internet at times plays games with me during an OIS.
I wait a minute or two and proceed to the finish.

Re: What do you do if OIS down?

RussellJames

Re: What do you do if OIS down?

toyotech wrote
What do you technicians do if your BAR-OIS is down?
Sit around and think of hypothetical questions to post on the internet?

Re: What do you do if OIS down?

justa
Banned User

Re: What do you do if OIS down?

none
Do you want to tell be the scenario you just wrote isn't hypothetical?

If An earthquake drops Southern California into the ocean the last thing I'm going to be worried about is if I can do a BAR-OIS smog check, hypothetically.

When Obama first got elected and the stock market plummeted it was dead and stinking for businesses all around here but I just caught up on maintenance of the building and my vehicles until it picked back up and then the same a few years later when California suspended sending out renewals. It was slow for a while but we all survived.

Re: What do you do if OIS down?

OldTimer
Test it on the Bar97 then watch this video @ 47:40

https://youtu.be/zxdehTKH64Q?t=47m40s

Re: What do you do if OIS down?

smgmn
I have been using the ois since october never went down once, but i work at two shops, and one of them uses wireless and the modem has to be reset now and then, no big. Very grateful for this, knock on wood lol. In your case i would offer them a discount maybe, if there established clients hopefully they will come back when your up and running. Make sure its not your connection or isp. Good luck to you :)

Mark

Re: What do you do if OIS down?

D, I would also throw in an evap test and charge them twenty eXtra Dollars!##

Re: What do you do if OIS down?

timmy
OldTimer wrote
Test it on the Bar97 then watch this video @ 47:40

Well last week BAR paid me a visit and said that we did a 2000 on the BAR97. One of my dealership guys brought a car for smog and said it was a 99. I do 90% of the smogs at my shop and my father, who's 70 but still has a current license and is retired, helps me out. I had 3 OIS smogs lined up and my father decided to smog the "99." A BAR rep came by the following day and pointed it out, we didn't even realize it til he told us. He printed out the BAR blast reminding us to do ALL 2000 and up on OIS and made me print out the 2013 inspection manual and reference guide. It was an honest mistake, not sure what's gonna happen now.

Re: What do you do if OIS down?

I failed a '99 on OIS last month, because the underhood label said 2002, and I didn't notice until it was too late.  If I had passed it, there would have been trouble.  I think that it spits you out for that now, but it didn't at the time.  The BAR-97 software will probably never be updated again, and even if it is, we'll probably still be answering stupid questions about fill pipe restrictors.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: What do you do if OIS down?

Karupt
the BAR -97 is like a harlot she will take anything you give her .

Re: What do you do if OIS down?

The BAR97 will update on Monday but, as the video state, some 2000 a newer will still be tested on it.

Re: What do you do if OIS down?

kfworry
At around the 2-hour and 10-minute mark during April 22, 2015 BAG meeting,
they are giving citations where they see a vehicle that failed OIS, being passed
on the BAR 97 at the same shop. They have identified A LOT of STAR stations doing just that.
NOT a smart move on those shops/techs. Those shops are "hanging themselves".
They deserve to loose STAR or worse.

They deserve to loose STAR or worse.
I watched the video and understand the stations that passed the car on the BAR97 after failing OIS are going to get citations but what about the stations that mistakenly do them, like mine. Will I get a citation too? We have done a thousand OIS tests and this is the only mistake we have made.

Re: What do you do if OIS down?

Maybe I'm just having a brain hiccup, but could one of you guys explain to me how a vehicle could fail OIS and pass BAR-97?  Unless they were bypassing OBD on the BAR-97 (which is a huge red flag)? ... maybe I'm naive to the shady tricks of the trade, or I'm just not getting how some "techs" could be that f**king retarded ...

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: What do you do if OIS down?

Just the Facts