What do you guys do with these diesels?

StarTech
Curious what other techs (you guys) do when a diesel truck comes in with a programmer and you fail it. They go home or in the parking lot and disconnect it all r and remove the programmer but the wires and connectors are right there. They aren't connected to anything, which isn't actively altering programming and we can't just fail for intent. Would you pass it? Some people may send it to a different shop, but 1. You lose money and a future customer. 2. They already paid you and are pissed to begin with.

Re: What do you guys do with these diesels?

none
As long as it is DISCONNECTED I would pass it.

Re: What do you guys do with these diesels?

Voltron
I've learned that most of those programmers especially the edge have a main and secondary ecu or module.  You have the main in the cab part and then usualy under the hood or if theyre smart hidden is a secondary module.  Disconnecting the one in cab just erases it from view most often than not.  only removing that secondary one eliminates the "programmer" .  Long story short, if i see any programmer shit you fail.  call bar and complain, they dont like programmers in vehicles at all i can tell u

Re: What do you guys do with these diesels?

 Ditto, pass. It was not connected when it was here.
 Truck has a lawn mower in the back. Are you going to test that engine because it is "In the truck?"

Re: What do you guys do with these diesels?

Kevin
If I see evidence of a programmer it fails, if I see them remove it or perform modifications it fails, every diesel truck that comes in I am very upfront with them and tell him if there's modifications to it I will fail it unless there are executive order numbers for each component

Re: What do you guys do with these diesels?

Re: What do you guys do with these diesels?

jvolman wrote
I've learned that most of those programmers especially the edge have a main and secondary ecu or module.  You have the main in the cab part and then usualy under the hood or if theyre smart hidden is a secondary module.  Disconnecting the one in cab just erases it from view most often than not.  only removing that secondary one eliminates the "programmer" .  Long story short, if i see any programmer shit you fail.  call bar and complain, they dont like programmers in vehicles at all i can tell u
If it still has the EDGE unit connected or the wiring harness connected I will fail it.

Kevin wrote
...every diesel truck that comes in I am very upfront with them and tell him if there's modifications to it I will fail it unless there are executive order numbers for each component
Same here, I ask first. If they say it always past before but don't answer the first question about if it's modified I repeat myself and sometimes they get pissy but then I know they are trying to get something through. I ask the same question on Corvettes and most Mustangs and lowered Hondas.

I am usually very busy and don't want to waste time on someones modified vehicle. They know they messed with it and I think it should be their responsibility to put the EO# labels on. If they tell me they don't have the label but have the number, I tell them to contact the manufacturer to get a label. At that point they often go elsewhere.

Well heres another scenario, chevy shows up with a supercharger installed but belt disconnected.  No other noticeable mods or anything else.  I fail tell him to get the procharger out.  He flips me the bird and goes to ref.  Guess who came back with the prochrager gone and a failed ref paperwork for it

Re: What do you guys do with these diesels?

Re: What do you guys do with these diesels?

Best Answer I Can Give
 D, any body else? You want a MONEY making idea?
Move to Fort Bragg CA. Start a PO Box store. Do DMV registration.

 For $200\$300 a year, rent a PO box to the cheaters. The ones that want to modify and never do a check.
You your family, any one you want can register a car to that PO Box.
WHY? NO SMOG CHECK IN FORT BRAGG. Not required. Only on buy and sell.

 Run a PO Box store and blow the hell out of Bi Annual checks.

 You want any more, phone me. Shoot me a E Mail and I will give you my number. Hell PO store and something else. The 2\300 a month people will pay the rent.

 Wife will not move. Guess where I would be?

Re: What do you guys do with these diesels?

Re: What do you guys do with these diesels?

100% fail and refer to referee. They will fail also.
Once you have failed for programmer ALL evidence of it must be removed as per BAR and the referee.

Re: What do you guys do with these diesels?

PO box does not work by itself. They want an actual address to go along with it. They are aware of that scam so they make you have a physical address also.

Re: What do you guys do with these diesels?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Sorry Al, but there is a way around all things.
Private PO Box store.

P.o doesnt work anymore from what i heard unless you can prove that po is for your address.  Just use ups store, they list a physical address instead of po

Re: What do you guys do with these diesels?

Re: What do you guys do with these diesels?

Best Answer I Can Give
 The deal is a guy in AZ had a couple hundred boats at his PO.

 Private PO Boxes. You rent one box per "Family" So it has 10 vehicles at that box. BFD. Next guy,next box.
You see reg come in. Shoot out a Email. Vehicle with plate so and so is due, CALL.
They call give you a CC number over the phone. You slip the New Reg in the mail to the house. Oh and the rent is up on the box, can I charge that to the CC?

Private PO Box. It has a address. Someone wants to pay the price and rent a PO Box from me, what do I care? Someone wants me to forward mail from a PO Box to a different address? What do I care? I'm being paid.

 YES YOU ARE BENDING THE RULES. You didn't make them. Next time State of California, make rules that cannot be BENT.

Re: What do you guys do with these diesels?

D Rochells 150861 wrote
Are there any BAR field offices in the rural areas? I would open up the UPS store right next door.
I was surprised that the field office for Eureka CA smog stations is HERCULES. That is at least a five hour drive one way. Do you think they get many under cover runs up there? They do get busted though. https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/accusations/rc-247391_2017_07_21_acc.PDF

Re: What do you guys do with these diesels?