What now

Evaponly818

Re: What now

laziiee
You worry about it too much man, just do the visual as the car come in and don't worry about 2 years down the road. If it's legal when you smog it its fine. I never change the way i smog cars 18 years even when star came out and my score is mostly always in the .9

Re: What now

smog frogposter
If he removes it right before he comes in for the inspection just test it as is, even if he removes it right in front of your parking lot. Unfortunately there's noting we can do before or after an inspection what it comes down to is what you see during an official smog inspection. However, you are more than welcome to refuse service and elect not to smog the vehicle at any time.

Re: What now

laziiee
Yes exactly, Just like the after market air intake, i had some guy that literally put the illegal one back on in my parking lot after i pass it, nothing i can do about it, if i worry about every car like that i won't be able to sleep at night lol.

Re: What now

Evaponly818

Re: What now

Evaponly818 wrote
Thanks ya. I don’t stress things too much just wanted to hear what ya thought. I don’t know if I’d allow him to remove it right in front of me but if done right before coming to the shop I would not know so I would test as is
What a customer does outside of my shop is none of my business.

And as for the sensor, I would not recommend shit about driving it 100 miles. Just fail it, charge him, and send him on his way. Don't explain nothing.The customer knows why it is there, but 100% sure doesn't understand how the I/M readiness works. He will just leave and prob wont come back. And if the next tech he takes it to is anything like me, he will investigate why the car previously failed after it pops up on the screen.

BAR should really allow us to see techs comments on fails.

Re: What now

dcf1ver
Evaponly818 wrote
What’s your guys protocol after finding an oxygen sensor spacer? Do you now want to see a new catalyst on the car for you to re-inspect? Or what makes you feel better when/if the car returns?
I asked the guy to remove it and at least drive it 100 miles before he returns. His response was”ahhh 100 miles AFTER I take it off??” I said yes. Doesn’t mean that he can’t go get the miles in and remove right before coming back to me, I would have no clue. So what’s your guys opinions? It was an 07 Pontiac Solstice

LoL dont be a Cpt. Sav-a-ho

Just fail it and move on.

Re: What now

Samy
That just tells me we as Smog Technicians with all the educations and Medals are nobody. We should be able
to report and send tampers to Referee only. That would stop all these BS.

Re: What now

BasicTech678
Samy wrote
That just tells me we as Smog Technicians with all the educations and Medals are nobody. We should be able
to report and send tampers to Referee only. That would stop all these BS.
or you decline the smog untill the show you the VIR which if the tech is smart leaves a detailed reason why it was tampered.

i refuse tamper retest without a VIR to confirm what was tampered and repaired. ive had customer say its one thing when its actually an other and original tamper still there. usually cat converters

Re: What now

none
BasicTech678 wrote
i refuse tamper retest without a VIR to confirm what was tampered and repaired. ive had customer say its one thing when its actually an other and original tamper still there. usually cat converters
When the screen comes up that shows it previously tamper failed you can expand it and it will show what it failed for.

Re: What now

BasicTech678 wrote
i refuse tamper retest without a VIR to confirm what was tampered and repaired. ive had customer say its one thing when its actually an other and original tamper still there. usually cat converters
When the screen comes up that shows it previously tamper failed you can expand it and it will show what it failed for.
right i do that, but alot of time techs tamper one system then give you a better details on the comments or on the work order. or just in writing on the VIR after it printed

for example you tamper wrong cat, i leave a detailed explanation in the comments wrong eo not matching EFN. now the customer gets advice from a shop to remove the label and try again. around here they will decline you without a label. and i know i will too after a tamper fail.

a great fix would be showing us previous techs comments!!!!

Re: What now

none
BasicTech678 wrote

right i do that, but alot of time techs tamper one system then give you a better details on the comments or on the work order. or just in writing on the VIR after it printed

for example you tamper wrong cat, i leave a detailed explanation in the comments wrong eo not matching EFN. now the customer gets advice from a shop to remove the label and try again. around here they will decline you without a label. and i know i will too after a tamper fail.

a great fix would be showing us previous techs comments!!!!
I agree. I type out a long description with cat numbers and EFN also.

I've also had shops down the hill fail for a legal K&N intake system where the original label wasn't there but they had a replacement label with the EO# and part# on the new label. (everything they need to look it up) and that I think is a BS fail.

[...]

exactly if i can prove the fail was wrong with ALL the info vs the a half ass story from the customer