Where is the EGR?

BlueSky
I had a customer bring in a 1995 Toyota T100 3.4l today.  Customer tells me the vehicle came from Missouri.  That he is only the second owner and has had it for 4 years.  Look at the pictures.  It's a California vehicle.  The vacuum diagram does not show an EGR and this year has a vacuum type.  There does not appear to be an EGR underhood.  The scanner shows and no check engine light.  I kicked it and told the customer to take it to the referee for equipment verification.

Re: Where is the EGR?

STAR is Racist
The 1/2 ton has egr but 6000lb no egr according to motor ecs manual.

Re: Where is the EGR?

bizarsmog
engine's replaced alreadywhich is new model, sent to refree

Re: Where is the EGR?

Do you see those 2 nipples that are plugged with a black rubber plug near the intake?

Those are the EGR vacuum lines from the EGR modulator. Obviously EGR system is not there.

But what I don't understand is how the CEL is not on?

Re: Where is the EGR?

BlueSky
That's what I did, sent it to referee.  I hope customer has ref look it over then I will know for sure.

Re: Where is the EGR?

hello

Re: Where is the EGR?

BlueSky
I saw that too.  It sure doesn't look like it came from Missouri.  Looks like it's been in Cali for it's entire life.

Re: Where is the EGR?

justa
Banned User

Re: Where is the EGR?

  has an egr monitor without an egr ? i think it was modified and you did good to send it away .  Unless of course it is possible to have an egr monitor without an egr .can anyone tell us if this is possible ?

Re: Where is the EGR?

scanner
karuptrougeouttacontrol wrote
  has an egr monitor without an egr ? i think it was modified and you did good to send it away .  Unless of course it is possible to have an egr monitor without an egr .can anyone tell us if this is possible ?
You see it when a vehicle has VVT.   Generic scan tools will see the VVT readiness monitor and translate it as EGR when it actually means VVT.   I've seen late model Toyota vehicles that are not equipped with EGR, but my generic scan tools says it's there.

I'm sure the T100 doesn't have VVT and it doesn't apply to the OP's situation.

Re: Where is the EGR?

scanner
Techstream lists the Monitor as EGR / VVT  When you click on the monitor, it pops up the Mode6 results for VVT.

Re: Where is the EGR?

BlueSky
Justa, as you can see 8 times this vehicle has received a certificate in California in the past.  This customer told me that the last place that tested the vehicle tweaked some settings to get it to pass.  I told him not me.

Re: Where is the EGR?

This might be an undercover, hope he goes to ref and comes back so you can inform us.

Re: Where is the EGR?

Those vacuum nipples that are capped off have factory caps and the vacuum diagram shows them capped off as well, anyone check tsb's for wrong label?

Re: Where is the EGR?

justa
Banned User

Re: Where is the EGR?

BlueSky
Got it Justa

Re: Where is the EGR?

ASE87
ECU must be from a 95 tacoma, its been modified. Good that you sent it to the ref. But it would be better just fail it and send it to ref. Thats where the ois comes in with motor swap and vin and all just a headache

Re: Where is the EGR?

Arsmog
Just curious. Did you already log in and started the test? In this scenario if you already is dialed in would you abort this test or fail it and send it to a referee?

Re: Where is the EGR?

BlueSky
Arsmog wrote
Just curious. Did you already log in and started the test? In this scenario if you already is dialed in would you abort this test or fail it and send it to a referee?
I could have finished the test and failed it, but because the customer had already alerted me about the EGR problem I didn't feel right with continuing the smog test and taking his money.  That's why I suggested he take it to a referee center to verify equipment.  The test I started doesn't show up on the vehicle history page because I had only scanned the DMV notice and made contact with the VID and then canceled the test.

I saw this customer took the vehicle to another shop to be inspected and they aborted the test.  I wonder if that was the referee center?

Re: Where is the EGR?