Who came up with the "free re-test"

alldsd1motor
Who ever came up with the "free re-test"? Dumbest idea ever IMO. I never understood why offer a free retest.

Re: Who came up with the "free re-test"

Johnnybeme
The customer is your friend you have to make him happy, after all the test should be free. Just a dumb machine and a low-life technician trying to take my money! The expectation has been so lowered as to make us all very unimportant.

Charge more and be happy!

Oh... and ... Make the smog program great again!

Re: Who came up with the "free re-test"

cosmokramertheassman
I used to offer free retests. Then one day I crunched the numbers and realized how much money was being lost by offering them. And, interestingly enough, my customers didn't seem to mind that they were now being charged for a retest. I still get one here and there that complains that they have to pay for the retest, but those are rare.

Re: Who came up with the "free re-test"

Thick6
I work at a pass or dont pay. sick of all the free shit. sometimes we get people that'll drive in 5 times in one day to check monitors. boss wants to kiss everyones ass. not enough competition in this town

Re: Who came up with the "free re-test"

alldsd1motor
I charge my customers half price for a retest. I dont  believe in free labor

Re: Who came up with the "free re-test"

cosmokramertheassman
Same here. If people ask me nicely to check their monitors ahead of time or if they have a concern that a recent repair or problem might cause their car to fail, I give them advice without charging. It's all about their approach. Those who bitch and complain as soon as they're walking in the door don't get any sympathy from me.

Re: Who came up with the "free re-test"

alldsd1motor wrote
I charge my customers half price for a retest. I dont  believe in free labor
By that logic though you are still leaving money on the table. Shouldn't you charge them full price?

I do a free retest on OIS with ALL self tests complete. My retest on 1999 and older is discounted but not to half price. it works for me and I test cars with the MIL on knowing I'm only making about half as much on the test since I will likely retest it for free. I find that I personally am more comfortable being really picky if I don't charge for the retest for something another shop might not fail.

I have a lot of return customers, a good reputation, and a lot or referrals so I think it's working for me.

Re: Who came up with the "free re-test"

deathbysmog
I only do free retest on OIS, on most BAR97 one retest half price. If its a pain in the ass car no retest.

Re: Who came up with the "free re-test"

Best Answer I Can Give
 First off, Free Retest" I HATE. I do them.

 Who started them The F*cking Test Only Clowns. I am one.

 What I am seeing is, low price, fail for some BS reason. "I saw smoke" $20 retest.
Shop's are finding reasons to fail and then making up the cheap price on a "Retest Fee"
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.