Who else thinks this is ridiculous?

Roger456
So a shop next door brings in a chevy suburban: 2004 5.3L. everything is fine except it has an aftermarket cat. go to look it up and find no aftermarkets cats. no biggie right? its happened before to some cars.

Get this so i look up a GMC yukon xl : 2004 5.3L. Mind you these are both made by GM, both have the same exact 5.3L vortec motor, same trans, same ecu controlling them. Low and behold guess what has aftermarket cat options? So I call up ARB to see if they could use one of the legal cats approved for the GMC on the Chevy since they are the same drive train. After the girl's rude and bitchy remarks she says they are different and can not be interchangeable.

Does anyone have any suggestions so they don't have to spend $500-1500 on an oem cat? I mean California had to do the research and testing for the GMC so why not include the Chevy since they are the same motor? I know california, bar, and arb are run poorly but this is just pure ignorance.

Re: Who else thinks this is ridiculous?

FiendFX
The lady at ARB, which is the front desk lady, can only go by the website. She is just an employee.

I looked up magnaflow and the ARB, seems like your customer is out of luck..

Re: Who else thinks this is ridiculous?

Decker

Re: Who else thinks this is ridiculous?

Roger456
Thanks for the effort Friend. I also did some research and I told them to just find an oem cat. It just makes me so mad that because of a differ badges and names they have to spend 2x- 3xs the amount of $$$ for really no good reason.

and no worries decker I didn't smog it.

Re: Who else thinks this is ridiculous?

cosmokramertheassman
It's silly, yes, but why would it make you mad? The problem is the customer's, not yours. You did your best to find them something from the aftermarket and that's really all you can do.

Re: Who else thinks this is ridiculous?

Roger456
Yes true its not really my problem but it's more the principal. It's a fact that the system is ran poorly. A system which our careers are judged and graded on. At the end of the day your making a person pay a large sum of money for no good reason and on top of that u don't give two shits. I cant respect that and it makes me mad that we have to work under such ignorance. I guess i'm actually mad at the fact I and/or we can't do anything about it. As long as California gets its $$$ they don't care who they screw over.

Re: Who else thinks this is ridiculous?

Roger456 wrote
So a shop next door brings in a chevy suburban: 2004 5.3L. everything is fine except it has an aftermarket cat. go to look it up and find no aftermarkets cats. no biggie right? its happened before to some cars.
What is the test group number?  It's not this,  is it?

4GMXT05.3170

Re: Who else thinks this is ridiculous?

smwalker
Yea if the test groups are the same might be cheaper to go and get some new name GMC name plates for the rear and make it a GMC.  Plausible deniability.

Re: Who else thinks this is ridiculous?

Those poor , rude ladies at that website must get paid minimum wage and hate their jobs .
    they have been known to give wrong info over the phone also .

Re: Who else thinks this is ridiculous?

Centralized Smog
The engine family numbers are the same right? Send him to the ref. They can make exceptions us normal techs can't.

Re: Who else thinks this is ridiculous?

My Name is Nobody
Agreed!  The worst part is 03 and 05 Suburban 5.3L aftermarket Cats are available.

Re: Who else thinks this is ridiculous?

Re: Who else thinks this is ridiculous?

My Name is Nobody
smwalker wrote
Yea if the test groups are the same might be cheaper to go and get some new name GMC name plates for the rear and make it a GMC.  Plausible deniability.
Yea...It is or yea...It's not?

I guess I'm the only one that don't understand your answer to Scanner.

Re: Who else thinks this is ridiculous?

Best Answer I Can Give
 What I feel is he is making fun of me, (Like I care), or putting down a way around the problem.

 BAR comes in and tells you the wrong CAT is on that Chevy. Wait, you looked at the badges and it said GMC. I have proof of where I got my info from.