Why kick vehicles?

dcf1ver
Im a newbie smog tech. All of 30 days in now. Ive been reading thread after thread here playing catch up, and one thing I notice is a lot of you guys will not test a certain vehicle because of unknown/aftermarket parts or something else. Why is this?

(BTW Im a 43 year old  CMAT/L1. So not a noob,just new to the smog game)
Al

Re: Why kick vehicles?

Al
because BAR can give you a citation for improperly passing or failing a car. So when you run across something you are not sure about you ship that POS down the road. I don't prescreen any initial test that comes into my shop. I test them as presented. But I have ran across a few that I had to ship because of I couldn't figure out if they were legal or not. I will prescreen retests for monitors but that's it. I want to finish the test for that $$$$$$$

Re: Why kick vehicles?

Welcome, dcf1ver.

For me it all boils down to risk vs. reward.  I'm on a salary, so as long as I don't piss off the shop owner badly enough to fire me I'm okay with punting stuff that I can't easily verify one way or the other.  Likewise for vehicles I don't think have a good chance of even surviving the inspection, which happens more often around here than many might imagine.  I don't want to pass anything unless I'm sure it should pass, and the same goes with fails.

Re: Why kick vehicles?

dcf1ver
Al wrote
because BAR can give you a citation for improperly passing or failing a car. So when you run across something you are not sure about you ship that POS down the road. I don't prescreen any initial test that comes into my shop. I test them as presented. But I have ran across a few that I had to ship because of I couldn't figure out if they were legal or not. I will prescreen retests for monitors but that's it. I want to finish the test for that $$$$$$$
Couldnt you test the vehicle and make comments regarding why you passed or failed a questionable vehicle, citing whatever type of regulation or documentation you think is relevant?

Re: Why kick vehicles?

dcf1ver
barrym95838 wrote
Welcome, dcf1ver.

For me it all boils down to risk vs. reward.  I'm on a salary, so as long as I don't piss off the shop owner badly enough to fire me I'm okay with punting stuff that I can't easily verify one way or the other.  Likewise for vehicles I don't think have a good chance of even surviving the inspection, which happens more often around here than many might imagine.  I don't want to pass anything unless I'm sure it should pass, and the same goes with fails.

When you say you punt,does that mean send to the ref or just outright refuse to test?

Re: Why kick vehicles?

Troll
I used to punt on the "gold teeth" dudes with the raised wheels and etc.  I would lead them into the these cars usually fail here. The guy down the block is more leniant.
And i'd kick out with no subltey the ice cream shitboxes, and the derka derka  used car shithole heads.

Re: Why kick vehicles?

dcf1ver wrote
When you say you punt,does that mean send to the ref or just outright refuse to test?
I simply refuse to test, and give my service writer a brief explanation.  Where they go from there is their concern.

Re: Why kick vehicles?

Best Answer I Can Give
 My feelings and thinking is, THE F ING STAR PROGRAM.

 You punt\Kick out\Don't do\send down the road, because in 2 years it will bite you in the ass. You don't want to do it because who say's the GREEDY guy down the street will do it. FAIL IT and then ding your score. You Question it now you can bet your last Peso the next ass will FAIL it just to ding your ass and make him look good.

 The F ing IDIOTS out there, now just fail it because they are afraid of their own shadow, is just STUPID now.

 One IDIOT around the corner from me failed 04 Dodge because one of his friends wrote"Bigger Turbo" on a recall label. Failed it for a EGT sensor and a Boost gauge.

 Gentlemen we are working with F ing IDIOT'S. Thanks Sheri. May you rot in HELL.

Re: Why kick vehicles?

Johnnybeme
Kicking vehicles refines your demographic and improves your STAR score. Just kidding.......

Just think if you could improve your customer quality and continue your current volume, wouldn't you?

Re: Why kick vehicles?

Because sometimes the old just impacts your score and is not worth the damage to your score or republic as an inspector

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Why-kick-vehicles-tp5076061.html