Why the Star program is nonsense

planters
This post was updated on .
My short term measures are excellent for several quarters or several years in a row. My FPR never dropped below 0.4 since 2011 when I first got my technician license. Then all the sudden it drops to .33 for no apparent reason. Nothing in the short term measures shows I'm doing anything to cause my score to drop so much.

My SVFR has always exceeded the state average. Currently my SVFR is 13.9% with state average of 9.19%.

But the BAR refuses to tell you why your score has fallen below 0.4. If you don't know the reason then how are you supposed to improve your score? It makes no sense. If your doing something wrong then you should have the right to know what that is. It's like if a police officer pulls you over and writes you a ticket but refuses to tell you why you were pulled over and refuses to tell you why you are getting a ticket. Are we living in America or communist China?

Re: Why the Star program is nonsense

planters
My theory is since  I pass a lot of cars with EVAP not ready that can potentially screw your FPR when cars fail for EVAP in the next cycle. But the problem with this theory is that I have always passed cars with EVAP not ready for many years and my score has always been 0.4 or above until now.

But its just a theory. I will never know if that is actually really the reason because the BAR doesn't tell you crap.

But if they let you pass the car with EVAP not ready then logically it should not count against your FPR if the car fails for EVAP in the nexgt cycle. But knowing the BAR they will probably count it against you anyway.

Re: Why the Star program is nonsense

smog frogposter
Another instance where the FPR may be affected is if you do not verify the CARB EO number on a catalyst for the engine family, year, make and model. Always cross reference the CARB number with the vehicle, I can't tell you the many number of times we found pre-obdII catalysts on OBDII vehicles or the Catalyst  not corresponding with the engine family.

We're not there to remind the customer to follow up with their service intervals as parts do wear out over time and motorists do not maintain their cars unless when they absolutely have to but by that time they may have already failed their initial biannual smog which downgrades your FPR. Even if you are extra careful by checking the readiness monitors before performing the initial smog as a courtesy have fun explaining to your money grubbing Shekel goblin noseberg of a boss that you let the customer go as to protect your FPR by not failing them for incomplete monitors. The customer just wants their smog over and done with, they'll most likely not listen to you and go next door, fail for monitors and find out the hard way. As a Tech you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Re: Why the Star program is nonsense

I'm convinced it's a random roll of the dice and whoever you get entering the data that day it is total crap.

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020, 9:57 AM planters [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
My short term measures are excellent for several quarters or several years in a row. My FPR never dropped below 0.4 since 2011 when I first got my technician license. Then all the sudden it drops to .33 for no apparent reason. Nothing in the short term measures shows I'm doing anything to cause my score to drop so much.

My SVFR has always exceeded the state average. Currently my SVFR is 13.9% with state average of 9.19%.

But the BAR refuses to tell you why your score has fallen below 0.4. If you don't know the reason then how are you supposed to improve your score? It makes no sense. If your doing something wrong then you should have the right to know what that is. It's like a police officer pulls you over and writes you a ticket but refuses to tell you why you were pulled over and refuses to tell you why you are getting a ticket.

My theory is that I am passing a lot of cars with EVAP not ready which can potentially screw your FPR when cars fail for EVAP in the next cycle. But the problem with this theory is that I have always passed cars with EVAP not ready for years and my score has always been 0.4 or above until now.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Why-the-Star-program-is-nonsense-tp5078557.html

Re: Why the Star program is nonsense

planters wrote
My SVFR has always exceeded the state average. Currently my SVFR is 13.9% with state average of 9.19%.
Are you maybe failing a lot of cars you passed two years ago?

Re: Why the Star program is nonsense

You leave Mr. Goldbergsilverstein out of this!!

Re: Why the Star program is nonsense

planters
planters wrote
My SVFR has always exceeded the state average. Currently my SVFR is 13.9% with state average of 9.19%.
Are you maybe failing a lot of cars you passed two years ago?

That isn't possible since I only started working in my current shop in LA county since summer 2018.

Before that I worked 30 miles away in another county.

Re: Why the Star program is nonsense

Ser Dan
Have a tech registered to my shop that hasn't smogged a car in two years and his score went up this January lol

he keeps his license valid but works at a mechanic shop now

smog frogposter wrote
performing the initial smog as a courtesy have fun explaining to your money grubbing Shekel goblin noseberg of a boss .

Re: Why the Star program is nonsense

Best Answer I Can Give
 Guy I KNEW, Killed himself. His score went up.

Re: Why the Star program is nonsense

smog frogposter
OY VEY

Re: Why the Star program is nonsense

gambit620
Really? When was this?

Re: Why the Star program is nonsense

Evaponly818
Guy I KNEW, Killed himself. His score went up.
Lmao

Re: Why the Star program is nonsense

No One
Evaponly818 wrote
Best Answer I Can Give wrote
Guy I KNEW, Killed himself. His score went up.
Lmao
I remember back when I started lurking this forum in 2013, that someone  brought up some dude doing  an hero/offing himself because he lost his job and his wife left him because she was a roastie only with him for the cash. I'm sure it was besta that brought it up to.

 Not his job, just the girlfriend and the brand new baby.

Re: Why the Star program is nonsense

planters
Guy I KNEW, Killed himself. His score went up.
Are you planning to follow in his footsteps?