Wonder if OIS is partially to blame?

Lose weight
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/11/15/socal-smog-worsens/

Smogged a 350z yesterday that stunk like hell but passed a visual and OBD OIS test. Wonder if it would pass an ASM test though.

Re: Wonder if OIS is partially to blame?

none
I had a 2003 for E150 van in yesterday that passed with ALL self tests complete and no pending codes but ran rough and stunk. I put the probe in the pipe in manual mode and it was idling at over 400ppm HC.

Normally I'm defending OIS on this forum but I do see some slipping through.

Re: Wonder if OIS is partially to blame?

Nfa2o
Has anyone seen the great GM vehicles,(impalas 02,03 v6’s) running 10%co,no mil and all monitors complete?

Re: Wonder if OIS is partially to blame?

SoCalSmogGuy
I had a similar experience with a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant. All monitors complete with no pending codes. Passed visual.

Ran a manual readings mode dyne after the vehcile was certified by OIS and it failed for HC's.
Work Smarter AND Harder

Re: Wonder if OIS is partially to blame?

 Any one that thinks OIS may have some effect on this is FULL OF SHIT.

 Last night on the Channel 5 news, they covered this story.
Some young guy from the AQMD was on. I pick on young. First off, book educated. Only knows what he was fed by the teachers and books. Most likely has never opened a hood.
It's the Trains. The Ships. The Trucks. NOT ONCE was the biggest user of fuel brought up. Just what he was fed.

 MSN had a deal on the most congested places in the state.
Better than half were California. Most of that half were SO CAL. The top one was some place out of San Jose.

 The reason the AQMD thinks it is because we are having more warmer days. Well let's see HC plus NOx plus SUN LIGHT. You know sunlight make heat.
Well let's see. We don't test for HC, nor NOX. You can defeat the OIS with a $5 part.
Even without that $5 part OBD II will not catch polluters.

 Many of us said this years back, IT WILL GET WORSE. Most of those were OLD guys. Those who learned from the best teacher of all EXPERIENCE.

 Maybe they will wake up. Maybe None was the smart one not to get rid of his second Dyno. Maybe we will go back to a ASM. But a fucking ASM without a idle is not that good.
All those cars sitting at idle in traffic. But no we will not test at idle.

 But the present smog check program cannot be the blame. Never admit fault. But we have gone to OIS and the levels go up? I guess the answer is not in a book.

 THEY JUST MIGHT HAVE TO ADMIT THEY WERE WRONG. THEY MIGHT HAVE TO SEE WHAT IS WHAT AND THINK. NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

Re: Wonder if OIS is partially to blame?

Since this was on Channel 9 NEWS, do you think BAR we make an effort to re-evaluate? ? ?

Re: Wonder if OIS is partially to blame?

Owner of the Z was  surprised his car passed."How did it passed stinking so much like raw fuel?''

Re: Wonder if OIS is partially to blame?

D Rochells 150861
Yeah, I've a Chevy Volt doing the same crap here.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!