Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

Midnightdrummer
My situation:

Not STAR certified anymore - FPR .27
My work is almost two hours away from where I live and im stuck since im not STAR (No one is hiring non-STAR techs). I leave around 6AM and get home around 730PM M-F and Saturdays I get home at 530PM
I take home about $700-$800 depending on the week

Ive heard a lot of people HATE Pep Boys, but I see their about $20/hr (I know its flat rate though) and they're only two miles away from my house saving me a crap load of time and gas. Ive never worked flat rate and I don't know what kind of hours are possible to flag at a store like that. I cant really afford to have my income reduced, its tight as it is.

But I just wanted to know if anyones experienced working there and how it is. Im suppose to go talk to them tomorrow and more than likely ill take it, but like I said I cant afford to not make any money.

Comments and suggestions would be appreciated!

Re: Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

Johnnybeme
If you are not test and repair, working ANYWHERE else is a step up.

Re: Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

Midnightdrummer
We ARE but Im pretty much only inspecting. And even if I do help them out with repairs its just cause im bored, I don't get anything extra out of it.

Re: Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

Mark
My ass is for sale at a price.

Re: Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

KeepItReal
Johnnybeme wrote
If you are not test and repair, working ANYWHERE else is a step up.

JM
Are you saying test only's are worthless, bottom of the barrel, lower than flipping burgers,one step away from being homless?

Re: Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

Johnnybeme
The test only concept is at the heart of the program failure. Sorry.

Re: Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

justa
Banned User

Re: Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

justa
Banned User

Re: Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

Midnightdrummer
just another shop owner wrote
Now Drummer to answer you, Tom the guy I went to lunch said Pep Boys will spend the money for the equipment but not the money for the people.

Now if you have a good manager, you could make some good money. You have a license so your not stupid, you must understand something about Fuel controll and how it works. See if they will send you to classes to learn more. Become a man they want around. A person that can teach others how to use the stuff they bought. If you can show them you can read a scanner and a Lab scope they ( If the manager has half a brain)  he wiil want to keep you around (Higher Pay)

 My understanding is Pep Boys is trying to lose that reputation of being "The PeP Boys"
Thanks Justa. Nice to hear something positive come out of your mouth! Haha kidding of course. Im going to see what they have to say today. All their ads say they pay for continuing education and they WANT you to be a master ASE tech. So I'll see what they have to offer. Money isn't everything though. I want some time with the family and im tired of this damn LA traffic!

Re: Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

You are simply wrong. The minute the test became a product and not a service, it became subject to marketing. When you market you give away to get more. If a smog inspection was a service you would pay a price for a certified technician to be available and with equiptment. Test only has to treat the test as a volume product and simply piuts a number on a service. Test and repair is the only qualified approach since they can actually help the consumer. (legally)

Re: Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

justa
Banned User

Re: Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

Mark
just another shop owner wrote
 I DON"T CARE PAY ME!. If you are test and repair, you fail it to make more, or you fudge it to keep the consumer happy and coming back.  Test Only F you pay me.
There is a kind heart there LMAO

Re: Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

atorichard
hi  i  worked for  pep boys as  a  service 1st asst service  manager,  they  pay  flate  rate, heres  the  catch!!
every  job  is  flate  rate, pep boys  only  has  in  stock  rebuilt  parts, keeping  that  in  mind,  the  rebuilt  part  you  just  put  on,  is  defective!!!, flate  rate  at pepboys,  is  one  time  flate  rate,  you  get  paid  for  the  first  part,  not  the defective  part.your  garrented  hourly  rate 10.00  12.00 hr  maybe???
so  if  you  want  to  work  for  pepboys  be  a  service  manager, a  salery  of  course, but  you get payed more. good  luck  richard  ex pepboys

Re: Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

Johnnybeme wrote
The test only concept is at the heart of the program failure. Sorry.
I agree, but remember, if you are a STAR station, then the Test Only concept is you no matter if you're T&R or TO.

Drummer, we're sorry for hijacking your thread, I seem to get involved quite often with this sort of thing! Take us to Havana!

Loaded for bear, licensed for quail.

Re: Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

Midnightdrummer
tampered wrote
Drummer, we're sorry for hijacking your thread, I seem to get involved quite often with this sort of thing! Take us to Havana!
No not a problem. That's what this place is for, to speak your mind

I went in. They said they could get me $18 a flat rate hour. I asked what techs normally average and he went on and on showing productivity blah blah blah and most techs were less than 60% which im assuming means if they're working 40 hours they're only getting about 20 some hours. No thanks. And the shop was a mess, I could tell their customers were getting upset because they were taking so long, I waited well over an hour just to talk to the manager because he went to lunch before I got there (Must be nice having over an hour lunch), their equipment looked like crap, there was random crap everywhere, and really looked like no one really enjoyed their job very much. BUT oh well

Re: Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

Karupt
It seems test and repairs never really did like test onlies not when they first came out and not now . the Bar started calling test and repairs cheaters , now they are calling test onlies cheaters ,we should know by now that BAR never states their hidden agenda . But the test onlies are on their way out , alot of BAR personnel are on their way out ,being early retired or whatever , employment freezes etc. . I wish they would of just came out and stated it in plain English . instead of just stringing us along untill they are done using us to their full advantage and then saying the ship has sunk everyone save themselves !

Re: Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

Star has nothing to do with test only. When the concept came it was with the dyno and the State was scared that many test and repair would not make the investmaent. So they created the product. The State knew it had no chance to roll out the required 6 or 7 thousand stations required, so they gave the number guys an easy living. To make it easy they gave an extra 15% of the vehicles (directed) to test only with the stupid as hell concept that they would do a better job. (supposedly no reason to influence test). With the fast food mentallity and the minimal overhead the program flourished until they had beaten down the test to a fraction of cost.Again the problem is the destruction of value for a test that requires a lot of training and a way expensive investment. Test only marketed the price and produced the pass or do not pay concept to ruin a repudable service that we all could have profitted from.

Re: Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

Kriss Vector

Re: Would any of you even CONSIDER working at Pep Boys?

Best Answer I Can Give
 DO YOU PEOPLE NOT GET IT? APPEAL Pure and simple APPEAL. While you are appeal they cannot take away your STAR.

 FUCKING FPR is the perfect one to APPEAL. BAR will not and cannot show how FPR works. You cannot be held responsible for what happens to a vehicle after it left where you work. BAR has no "PUT YOUR HANDS ON PROOF"

 Somewhere on this site (those that know how to find stuff can) is a post about how the BAR has over 1000 back log for appeals. The AG for the State will not back them. They KNOW FPR IS BS.