Would you smog a diesel with a programmer sitting there?

Would you smog a diesel with a programmer sitting there?

StarTech
Guy disconnects edgeprogrammer. Reconnects factory connectors.  asks you to smog it.. will you?

Re: Would you smog a diesel with a programmer sitting there?

138541
No,
once i have seen it every component must be completely removed.
Even the nipple for the exhaust temp must be permanently repaired or used for stand alone temp gauge. This was advise given to me from BAR.

Re: Would you smog a diesel with a programmer sitting there?

Kevin
If the component is still on the vehicle it's still considered tampered

Re: Would you smog a diesel with a programmer sitting there?

Al wrote
...This was advise given to me from BAR...
I was told the opposite. Did you ever have CARL, (the old guy not the current one) from BAR come by your shop? He told me if something was disconnected it was OK. It was a NITROS OXIDE bottle on a Mustang we were talking about. I still didn't test it.

Re: Would you smog a diesel with a programmer sitting there?

Al wrote
...This was advise given to me from BAR...
I was told the opposite. Did you ever have CARL, (the old guy not the current one) from BAR come by your shop? He told me if something was disconnected it was OK. It was a NITROS OXIDE bottle on a Mustang we were talking about. I still didn't test it.
If you are talking about Carl Holmes then yes. Him and Steve Beck were cool to deal with years ago. Both have retired.  These days the laws and consequences are different. I miss those days where you weren't scared to death to make a mistake and lose your career.

These days I play it on the safer side and ask advice on anything funny.

Re: Would you smog a diesel with a programmer sitting there?

none
YEAH, The main reason I didn't bother to test it though was right off the bat the customer was bitching about the guy at "the other shop" who "didn't test it right" and it failed at 5% CO. The guy at the "other shop" is a friend of mine. That and I wasn't comfortable passing the car if it did pass with a nitros bottle on it.

How is it considered tampered if its just sitting there in the engine bay disconnected to everything?

Re: Would you smog a diesel with a programmer sitting there?

none
StarTech wrote
How is it considered tampered if its just sitting there in the engine bay disconnected to everything?
I personally agree. If it isn't connected then it can't alter the emissions. The thing is that I usually find something else too (that passed like that last time). Big down pipe pre-cat, after market turbo compressor housing, or PCV vented.

Whether it is in the truck or on a work bench it is going back on after the test is done.

Re: Would you smog a diesel with a programmer sitting there?

Re: Would you smog a diesel with a programmer sitting there?

Best Answer I Can Give
 We have pictures of people putting the Modified stuff back on in the parking lot.

 That is why what the consumer said, verses a UC is so important.