YAFK (Yet another FuPR killer)

What should happen:

What actually happened (see my colorful comment):

OH, wait!  The "shoulda" was for diesels!!  What about gas OBD-1s???!!!???

Re: YAFK (Yet another FuPR killer)

Smogtech

Re: YAFK (Yet another FuPR killer)

timmy
I could be wrong but the monitors look like OBD2. Wrong label? The heavy duty trucks I've seen are missing a couple of monitors like EVAP or CAT. I always check with a scan tool for OBDSUP to see if it says OBDI, OBDII or HD OBD.

Re: YAFK (Yet another FuPR killer)

locopoco
Your notes on the comment section are gold man

Re: YAFK (Yet another FuPR killer)

Best Answer I Can Give
 Now that is interesting.

 You are using a GEN III right.
I have not had this yet on the GEN III, but on the SPX it ask you if it can get a OBD II test. You put NO and it will bypass the test.
Does a GEN III do the same thing? I think not. The GEN III should ahve or KNOWN it did not need a OBD test.

Re: YAFK (Yet another FuPR killer)

Lose weight
Besta yes you can say no obd on Gen 3. Had similar issue with a fed obd1 01 excursion I needed to test on Gen 3.

Re: YAFK (Yet another FuPR killer)

timmy wrote
... The heavy duty trucks I've seen are missing a couple of monitors like EVAP or CAT....
On FORD only you will see all the monitors but since there is no post cat O2 sensor or canister closed valve it will never complete the cat and evap self test.

I have never had one of these NOT ask me if the vehicle was OBDII compliant on OIS. I always get the pop up that says "unable to determine blah blah blah... does this vehicle have OBDII?" or some such sentence.

Re: YAFK (Yet another FuPR killer)

Now that is interesting.

 You are using a GEN III right.
I have not had this yet on the GEN III, but on the SPX it ask you if it can get a OBD II test. You put NO and it will bypass the test.
Does a GEN III do the same thing? I think not. The GEN III should ahve or KNOWN it did not need a OBD test.
The VIR that I posted was from the OIS, bruh.

I ran it on the Gen-3 and passed it, after answering "NO" to the OBD-2 question it was humble enough to ask.

Re: YAFK (Yet another FuPR killer)

Thick6
Ur VIR says it's a gasoline vehicle. If it was me I wouldn't have wasted my time with OIS and gone straight to BAR97

Re: YAFK (Yet another FuPR killer)

barrym95838 wrote
OH, wait!  The "shoulda" was for diesels!!  What about gas OBD-1s???!!!???
What would you have done, if all the readiness indicators had completed?  If it passed OIS, would you run the BAR97 test?

Re: YAFK (Yet another FuPR killer)

Best Answer I Can Give
 Sure as hell missed that one didn't I. Talk about not thinking.

 Now the real post should have been about HOW IN THE HELL and WHY IN THE HELL DOES THIS HAPPEN?
Yes someone FPR took or can take a hit in something that should not be able to happen.
Why is that vehicle even on the road?

 Just the WHOLE CARB, ARB, those saying "Yes this can be driven" WHAT THE FUCK?
People are being fined, loosing their STAR because a AIR pump is missing on a GM truck?
I see a Mustang with the EGR GONE? WHERE IS THE LIGHT? It is missing stuff to help clean the air, BUT NO LIGHT?

 Great point. How many FPR are being killed because IT WAS NEVER RIGHT TO BEGIN WITH?

Re: YAFK (Yet another FuPR killer)

...Why is that vehicle even on the road?...IT WAS NEVER RIGHT TO BEGIN WITH?
WTF?? It is a Federal certified truck. It wasn't required.

Re: YAFK (Yet another FuPR killer)

Best Answer I Can Give
 WHY DO THEY HAVE BOTH?
 If OBD II is the better system, why let a vehicle run around and POLLUTE?

 WHO PAID OFF WHO?

Re: YAFK (Yet another FuPR killer)

none
Michael, I'm going to "play devils advocate" here.

That Federal Ford truck should have a very high rate of "Not Ready" fails and therefore not be a FPR ding.

Interesting...It passed on OIS the last 2 inspections...how did the CAT and EVAP complete?

Re: YAFK (Yet another FuPR killer)

none
timmy wrote
Interesting...It passed on OIS the last 2 inspections...how did the CAT and EVAP complete?
[emphasis added]
How do you know that?

I see it passed but I would have run it on the BAR97 and the history would show a pass.

Re: YAFK (Yet another FuPR killer)

You can't tell from the test history, but I'm the one who passed it (on the BAR-97) in 2013 and 2015.  I would have gone straight to the BAR-97 again this time, but I might have been a bit gun-shy from the citations I've been hearing about recently regarding wrong-platform inspections.  I also missed the word "diesel" in the note I posted at the beginning and fully expected the OIS to tell me to move to the BAR-97.  It didn't.

I was the chump who FuPRed myself over this time.

I see it passed but I would have run it on the BAR97 and the history would show a pass.
I noticed the "model" changed in 2013, when we started using OIS. Your right, I'm not sure but I've seen people input weird "models" into the BAR97 and change to the correct model when it's inspected on the OIS the next time. I'm pretty sure you'll be OK Barry since you did put FED and over 8500 lbs.

Re: YAFK (Yet another FuPR killer)

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Check_Requirements_by_Vehicle_Type.pdf

i keep a copy of this posted behind my ois just to double check unusual vehicles , like heavy duty or when started doing diesels on ois.

Re: YAFK (Yet another FuPR killer)

Centralized Smog
timmy wrote
... The heavy duty trucks I've seen are missing a couple of monitors like EVAP or CAT....
On FORD only you will see all the monitors but since there is no post cat O2 sensor or canister closed valve it will never complete the cat and evap self test.

Is this a good way to determine if HD Fords with missing labels are CA spec? So if I see the post cat O2 AND the vent valve, I am sure the obd test is needed.
12