can you do a drive cycle for customers at a test only station

can you do a drive cycle for customers at a test only station

Smogtech9
It's not actually fixing anything or a repair, or is it?

Re: can you do a drive cycle for customers at a test only station

none
I think it wouldn't be a problem as long as you don't charge them for it.

Re: can you do a drive cycle for customers at a test only station

Smogtech9
Aww. I was thinking of charging a little bit for me time.  But, we are allow to do it tho?

Re: can you do a drive cycle for customers at a test only station

Juicebox
No, you're not allowed to run monitors, its considered a repair. You can run manual mode emissions testing and give them numbers, as long as you dont give any diagnostic advice.

Re: can you do a drive cycle for customers at a test only station

none
The car won't pass but you will get the car to a condition that will pass... That sounds like a repair to me.

I recommend you Email BAR and ask them before you do it.

Re: can you do a drive cycle for customers at a test only station

Juicebox wrote
No, you're not allowed to run monitors, its considered a repair. You can run manual mode emissions testing and give them numbers, as long as you dont give any diagnostic advice.
Is it considered a repair?  CAP will not pay anyone to run a drive cycle.

Isn't running a manual mode emission test, running a vehicle under certain parameters?   Is that different from driving a vehicle on a dyno under certain parameters to complete a monitor?

Re: can you do a drive cycle for customers at a test only station

Since you arent a T&R I would advice that you make sure the car has oil and is in good condition to drive on the dyno or you might have a problem on your hands if the car explodes while on the dyno. Nothing worst than an angry customer looking to pass blame for their shitty cars taking a shit while you're behind the wheel.

Re: can you do a drive cycle for customers at a test only station

smog frogposter
It is considered a repair, even if it wasn't it is strongly advised not to since if and when the vehicle fails to complete the readiness monitors due to underlying conditions you will not be able to perform the repair anyway. You are setting yourself up to open a can of worms even if you do not manage to complete the monitors and not charge the customer, if and when the MIL lamp illuminates guess what the customer will say? "My car wasn't like that before you touched it" and you will have a complaint on your hands. It's a bad deal as a Test Only, you are looking for a headache.

Re: can you do a drive cycle for customers at a test only station

none
Plus if you have the scan tool and repair information to properly run monitors and the desire to do it, you might as well change to TEST and REPAIR anyway.

Re: can you do a drive cycle for customers at a test only station

manboobs
Per the 2019 smog check reference guide:

1.2.0 Test Only Stations
Test only stations are licensed to conduct Smog Check inspections only.
No repairs or diagnoses can be performed on vehicles at a test only station, except for
those minor repairs listed below. There shall be no charge to the customer for these
minor repairs.

• Minor repairs of components damaged by station personnel during the inspection at the
station.
• Minor repair that is necessary for the safe operation of the vehicle while at the station.
• Minor repairs, such as the reconnection of hoses or vacuum lines.

https://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Check_Reference_Guide.pdf

They are allowed to do oil changes and related stuff though so they do bend that rule. I think he should just Email or call BAR and get a real answer.

Re: can you do a drive cycle for customers at a test only station

Technician A
none wrote
They are allowed to do oil changes and related stuff though so they do bend that rule. I think he should just Email or call BAR and get a real answer.
I think some shop argued maintenance was not repair and won the case.

Re: can you do a drive cycle for customers at a test only station

manboobs
Curious to see it actually written out about a Test Only doing oil changes if anyone has a link to it

Re: can you do a drive cycle for customers at a test only station

BayAreaSmogTech
scanner wrote
Juicebox wrote
No, you're not allowed to run monitors, its considered a repair. You can run manual mode emissions testing and give them numbers, as long as you dont give any diagnostic advice.
Is it considered a repair?  CAP will not pay anyone to run a drive cycle.

Isn't running a manual mode emission test, running a vehicle under certain parameters?   Is that different from driving a vehicle on a dyno under certain parameters to complete a monitor?

It's considered a repair. BAR will not pay for drive cycles but are perfectly fine with you charging the customer for them. It's also listed under the repair section in the OIS.

Re: can you do a drive cycle for customers at a test only station

No One
BayAreaSmogTech wrote
scanner wrote
Juicebox wrote
No, you're not allowed to run monitors, its considered a repair. You can run manual mode emissions testing and give them numbers, as long as you dont give any diagnostic advice.
Is it considered a repair?  CAP will not pay anyone to run a drive cycle.

Isn't running a manual mode emission test, running a vehicle under certain parameters?   Is that different from driving a vehicle on a dyno under certain parameters to complete a monitor?

It's considered a repair. BAR will not pay for drive cycles but are perfectly fine with you charging the customer for them. It's also listed under the repair section in the OIS.
So testing a car with evap incomplete is considered a car that needs repairs