cat converters

nanz
one of my regular customers came in with a 1999 chevy blazer 4.3l  fed emission with a after market cat  E.O 193-66  I Failed it due to wrong E.O number. he went back to shop that installed the cat. they  claimed its its the right cat. the truck has passed last 2 previous smog check.  i know on fed emission vehicles  the engine family doesn't  have to match but the i know the E.O  has to match the vehicle  its installed on.

Re: cat converters

FiendFX
It's a fail. I would send him to referee.

Re: cat converters

joemister
"i know on fed emission vehicles  the engine family doesn't  have to match"

Is that true, never know that.

Re: cat converters

nanz wrote
one of my regular customers came in with a 1999 chevy blazer 4.3l  fed emission with a after market cat  E.O 193-66  I Failed it due to wrong E.O number. he went back to shop that installed the cat. they  claimed its its the right cat.
It's the right cat for a 1998 Chevy Blazer 4.3L.   You made the right decision to visually fail the cat.

the truck has passed last 2 previous smog check.  i know on fed emission vehicles  the engine family doesn't  have to match but the i know the E.O  has to match the vehicle  its installed on.
Right, seems all of the engine families from Fed vehicles I've inspected aren't listed in the database.

Re: cat converters

Nightrider87
You are correct, with federal certified emissions the EO for the cat only has to be certified for the vehicle not the test group (engine family).You can call ARB if you would like to hear it from the horse's mouth so to speak. If the EO number does not match, then you indeed make the correct call and does not need to see the ref for equipment verification. A wrong cat is cut and dry if you ask me.

Being that the installer is arguing this call, the a trip to the ref would be in the best interest of the consumer.

Re: cat converters

kfworry
Car Sound Exhaust System
D-193-66/01-15-09 45000 1996 - 2003 GM LDT2
LOOK carefully gentlemen. I COPIED this information from the ARB Web site.
Clearly the CORRECT Cat for 1996-2000 GM Light Duty Truck.
We tend to be "over thinking" these CARB EO#'s these days.

Re: cat converters

kfworry
The CAT CARB EO# DOES NOT have to match vehicle specific year, make, model and engine
on "OBD I" vehicles, NOT because it is a Federal OBD II.
It must at least match vehicle "class", passenger car, light truck, etc.

Re: cat converters

Car Sound Exhaust System, Inc. (dba Magnaflow) (949) 858-5900
Car Sound (Cont.) (dba Magnaflow)
Car Sound (Cont.) (dba Magnaflow)
 D-193-66/01-15-09 45000 1996 - 2003 GM LDT2/MDV

You are NOT correct if you are saying that is the right cat by the information you posted. You need to check the CARB aftermarket catalytic converter database for that vehicle as these others have done and it is not a match.

Re: cat converters

cosmokramertheassman
kfworry, sorry but you are clearly wrong. Take a look...

You are saying that the EO doesn't matter on OBD2 vehicles when it does.

Re: cat converters

I have run into the exact same situation on a 99 Blazer. FED has 1 cat and CAL has 2. The customer cannot change the configuration and put on two California legal cats but I sure wouldn't pass it with a 1998 single cat even though the Referee said on the phone to the muffler shop it was the one to use so the customer took the vehicle to the Referee and he put a label on showing that cat # was OK.

Re: cat converters

Voltron
On ob2 E.O number must match vehicle.  .

Re: cat converters

I may have miss understood your post but I am saying that not only does the EO# matter but the part # too. As it says in COSMO'S post, "for OBDII equipped vehicles...inspectors must check the ARB EO catalytic converter data base..."

Here is that database https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/PartsSearchTool/CatalystSearchTool.aspx

It has to be application specific.  Click on that EO number, the 99 Chevrolet Blazer is not listed.   It's listed for 98 and older, but not the 99.

Re: cat converters

Just the Facts

Re: cat converters

justa
Banned User

Re: cat converters

Just the Facts

Re: cat converters

In kfworry's defense, I would like to say that my process for Federal OBDII vehicles has been to consult this list, because I would not expect the federal engine family to show using this tool.

Since a 1999 Chevy Blazer 4.3L more or less "fits" under  EO# D-193-66 using the aforementioned list (1996 - 2003 GM LDT2/MDV), I would have likely passed it.  I don't remember where I read or heard that OBDII Federals are to be treated more leniently, but I seem to recall that it was a trusted source.

Comments, criticisms or links, anyone?

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

BTW, Get Smart was one of my favorites, but I had to see them in re-runs in the 70's on a snowy, distant TV channel, because I was just a baby when they were first televised.  His Sunbeam Tiger was a bad-ass little ride!

Re: cat converters

Just the Facts