customer again!

Smogtech
customer with nissan altima here for smog, I noticed the service engine soon light on.  I informed the customer, to get it diagnose. Customer said that light on when it needed oil change, and alway passed smog,. I filled out the ro and stated informed customer service soon on. customer signed, did the smog and failed, customer said, I must doing something wrong, it alway passed and it's not the Check Engine light. I tried to explained but no help, customer kept saying it alway passed with service engine soon on.  Customer threated to report to the BBB and BAR. I told the customer I'm happy to assist you to file the complaint, and  provided with all the documents needed.

Have a great long weekend smog techs

Re: customer again!

I failed a Yukon for Not-Ready yesterday, and the customer was very upset that we tested it that way.  He even blamed us for the obviously weak alternator (it never did that before) and accused me of not really checking the tire pressures.  He saw my usual hand-written comment on the VIR stating that all four tires were @ 35 psi, and told my service writer that he had watched me the whole time and I didn't check shit.  I overheard this from the other room ... if he had called me a liar to my face, I predict that I wouldn't have reacted as smoothly as my rookie service writer did.

He mused out-loud that he should have known better than to come to the 'hood for a smog check from rip-off artists, and that he would be sure to file a complaint and "Call Curtis".  He eventually paid and left.  Maybe I should get a haircut and a manicure for next week, when Curtis comes by and shoves a camera and microphone in my face.  Nah, sounds too much like putting lipstick on a pig ... I'll just keep my regular shaggy "look", and hope that the camera doesn't break.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: customer again!

Voltron
Failed a prius for not ready and the hippie lost her shit, screaming priuses can't fail. I was like we ll you just proved that theory wrong cause you failed. She replied her "partner" undid the battery before coming in so it would pass. I was like well your "partner" just cost you 60 bucks, another 28 for the retest, and being labeled as my first prius fail. She stormed out to leave and yelled at me for not leaving her key in the car. Pay me and ill give it back to you. This aint my first rodeo

Re: customer again!

Why didn't you point out the Service Fault Codes on the VIR? That would make them look stupid.

Re: customer again!

I don't ever check monitors on prius because ABS will flash. So I just smog as is..

Re: customer again!

Smogman, you went abouve AND BEYOUND your duties by advicing the customer of the potential fail, and even wrote it down .HOw someone could still proceed after being told verbally and in writing proves they have a know-it-all attitude .And I hope that they file a complaint , that way someone at BAR will explain letter by letter and word per word that his/her car actually is a machine and sometimes those break down and cause check engine lights to come on .

Re: customer again!

Jvolman, good move .After backing a failed car out once and leaving the keys in the ignition and pointed in the street direction, and customer walking out without paying , I decided the same as you , pay first keys later .

Re: customer again!

Smogtech
90% of the time I informed customer re: MIL. The other 10% I forgot to look.  Customer stated "service engine soon are not the same as check engine light with the engine icon with the check mark."  I checked the test history no retest yet. Maybe waiting for the ref?

some will said likes, if you know it's not smog legal, missing components why are you still smog and failed!

I alway keep the key with me until paid. I learned never again mid of the test and letting the customer know the car will fail for etc.  I have a customer jumped in the car and almost take my wireless DAD with him a few month back.  Informed before the write up or after completed test and parked.

Re: customer again!

Voltron
Its a tricky thing though, When i worked in Sonoma county i was told by a cop buddy that us holding their keys and refusing to give them back if they wont pay puts us in the wrong. Even though they signed a contract he stated that I could get into trouble for it and had to return them and settle in claims court. Berkeley im told its fair game

Re: customer again!

D Rochells 150861
A lien arises at the time of the final invoice being presented until payment is received, I'm pretty sure after reading this that you may hold the vehicle until the lien is extinguished or something something. But I would put something in  fine print about that on the signature line just in case.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=civ&group=03001-04000&file=3067-3074
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: customer again!

What year was the Altima?

I had a customer tell me that his 6.0L Ford diesel (CAN) always passes with the light on. He said he will take it to the guy who always passes it since I won't.

Re: customer again!

Voltron
I always tell them when they keep telling me they wont pay that All i do then is hit a button on my computer and your registration will put on hold no matter part of the process you are on and until I release the hold you have no registration. A $50 penalty will then be also added by the dmv that you can only pay in person there not AAA or online. Usually that will take care of that problem. No John/troller (Im not convinced a BAR chief or exchief would be on this page actively posting) If you car caught on bohemien property you will be arrested for trespassing and it an extremely members only association that i could careless about being a part of.

Re: customer again!

D Rochells 150861
I've been working at shops that are Yelps bitches for too long, I miss being able to say shit like that and yell back. I did yell at an angry tow truck driver the other day who was mad OIS was down, and in unrelated news I need a new job!
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: customer again!

Voltron
When they threaten you with yelp Tell them that yelps a scam and the money that you pay them every month allows you to filter your reviews and get rid of the negative one. They "love" hearing that

Re: customer again!

kfworry
Gentleman, my late-father always said "you can attract more bees with honey, then you
can with vinegar". Be nice, don't lower yourself to problematic customers by chewing them out.
That makes you the bad guy too.

Re: customer again!

kfworry
I've noticed how mean spirited our society has become.
Can't we all just get along??

Re: customer again!

John Wallauch ex Bar
Banned User

Re: customer again!

Voltron
John Wallauch ex Bar wrote
Jvolman whatever the hell that means don't get pissy with me dude. Then again I'd have a weak attitude too if i had a rice rocket sigle cam piece of junk trying to race like you do hahaha.
Its actually not a single camer slammer, and only one of several of my cars, but it is a rocket so that shows your lack of knowledge there. Maybe you should look at some of the appendixs you used to supposedly enforce and realize that not all hondas are modified by teens. I probably got more money into that car than whatever old man car you fart around in or make in a year at ikea. By the way shouldn't you be greeting customers with your failures in life as a state employee that now works for high school level employment wage. Also unleaded rice is real cheap right now

Re: customer again!

John Wallauch ex Bar
Banned User

Re: customer again!

Voltron
Call the body what you will but she goes from a to b faster than most. and theres quite a few goodies under that hood that enhance the swap. Its funny how many talk shit about hondas till theyre getting smashed on in their $80,000 corvette by a car worth 2 grand with $10-$20k in it. Yea it maybe ugly but you still lost. Im a die hard Paul walker fan for life and dgaf what people say about it, but my steering wheel always stays attached to the hub in the car. Kill switches and gps tracking, allow this. Never was a fan of carry my steering wheel around. Like I said im not a kid