dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

bigmike
How can u say STAR is workin? It may be workin for u, as we see in the screename that ur enjoying ur status...the guys on this site r hard workin techs that r pissd off cuz the star program is sayin that we're gona be punished if a car we certified fails its next smog...ur a test n repair station n most test n repair stations that I've spoken with only test newer non- piece o shit vehicles n their overall volume is very low...so now that "you r the star" ..you'll be gettin plenty of HEPs that squeek by on HC n u best believe that they ain't gona pass their next inspection n eventually ur FPR will suffer...we just want a fair rating system....n change ur fuckin screename everyones gona know wata asshole u r....
EE

Re: dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

EE
Nicely said. I bet u he'll change his name once he sees his star stripped away because of one mistake

Re: dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

I'm STAR, Ur Not
After reading your post I actually am considering changing my screen name. The parts that influenced me the most were all the "u"s, "ur"s, "r"s, "gonna", "wata" et cetera. I'm going to sleep on it, but I'll probably change it to "I'm STAR, you're not"

As far as the junk cars, do you really think the drivers of those cars are going to pay my ridiculously high price for smoging one? Especially when I tell them to look for a coupon.

MW

Re: dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

I'm STAR, Ur Not
And I'll bet you that will never happen.

MW
EE

Re: dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

EE
"U". Sound too confident. We'll see later   Remind me about "ur" stupidity and ignorance

Re: dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

I'm STAR, Ur Not
Did you really mean to write that to bigmike? Sounds like it was for me. I hope you don't make those kind of mistakes on smogs. Might make it hard to get STAR.

Re: dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

bigmike
Sorry about my spelling just trying to make it quick...and I know you didn't have any problems reading my post...especially the part that I called you a asshole ....and yah they just might pay ur high prices cause there's not a lot to choose from as far as star stations go
And I think that shops like yours that overcharge to discourage customers from smoggin there are just scared that they might actually have to use their brains and check timing or that they might have to remove a engine cover....its ok you want to do all the easy ones but that just means you're a pussy......hahahahahah asshole

Re: dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

I'm STAR, Ur Not
bigmike,

I am of the opinion that there are a lot of junk cars on the road that should not be there. I am not going to let anyone make my FPR go down because they cannot part with their junk car. It is their problem, not mine.

If anything I under charge, most of us do. By the time to calculate all the expenses involved, $50.00 isn't worth it. Especially considering I take off every engine cover and always check timing. Plus, I often look up the timing procedure on alldata, unless I have it memorized. I'll tell you what, you can be Mr. Nice Guy without STAR, and I'll be a pussy with STAR.

MW

Re: dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

Citation Addict
Just wait until you lose your Star Station status, dont come crying to this forum.

Re: dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

smoglord
Hey im star your not, dont even argue here, if they dont like what you say they call you out. To mr. KIM, notice no one answeres your question, whats goin to happen to people that work the system if STAR is stopped. We all know BAR cannot just shut people down with out goin to court, so they will continue like the shop in your example, and make huge profits.You dont have to disclose the shop name, all people have to do is look up the shop you think is bad and look for their report card from last year. SOMEONE ANSWER KIMs Question

I m STAR and I have been failing cars that the customer say"what do you mean it failed, the last guy would help it thru, Why are you lookin under the car, the last guy never took this long" why are you removing the doghouse on my van the other shop never did that ect.  I say why dont you go there, uhh  I did but they couldnt doit this time.

this goes on everyday

Re: dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

Accused
We all agree that the bad players need to go.  But don't throw honest people under the bus to do it.  That's the whole point of this web site.

STAR doesn't differentiate between legal activity and illegal activity.  It's that simple.

If you can remove yourself from your current favored position in STAR and just look from the outside in you would come to this conclusion - STAR isn't going to get rid of all the bad actors and it will get rid of honest techs and shops in greater numbers than dishonest ones.

I can only assume that much of your competition will be eliminated by STAR.  Maybe that is your real motivation here.

Re: dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

crazy8
We are STAR approved and have seen a near 50% failure rate on directed/hep/previous test only cars, all are new customers to us and most don't like our policy or proceedures which are...

1. Our price.
2. No free pre test.
3. No pass or don't pay.
4. What no free re-test?
5. Why is this taking so long?
6. Why do I have to move all of that stuff so you can take that cover off? They never did that before.
7. Why can't I sit in or stand next to the car while you test it? They can watch from the waiting room.
8. Why can't my old guy test it? I don't answer that question, I tell them to ask whoever turned them down as I have no real clear idea on how the scoring works.
9.What do you mean it failed? My old guy usually found a way to help it pass.

And the most famous question of all.... How much to get it to pass!

 You should see the look on their face when I tell them that it must be properly diagnosed for $xxx.xx and the repairs are additional. I usually offer them a CAP application but most are not interested and walk out the door. We have had two threaten violence so a quick phone call to the local sherriff dept. and a report is filled out, I have no idea if it is followed up on but if our shop is vandalized thay have reports on possible suspects.

Re: dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

Accused
I help my customers all the time.

1st by treating them like I would want my mom to be treated.

2nd by properly testing their vehicle.  Pass or fail - same test.

But mostly when vehicles fail, I HELP my customers by explaining the repair process begins with proper diagnosis and the merits of the CAP program if it fits their circumstances.

No pissed off customers, no offers to pay to make it pass, mostly just normal customers that will hopefully take the good advice we have given them and fix their cars right.

And, oh yeah, we are test only.

Sorry you have such shitty new customers.

Re: dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

smoglord
SOME ONE ANSWER KIMs Question with out beatin around the bush. STAR is stopped and then what happens to bad players, they get back in. There is more bad players than you think.
This forum will be respected more if everyone showed their shop name, that way if your honest we all can see, and if your not we all can see by looking at your report cards.

That wont happen, FOR NOW ANSWER KIMs Question

To accused you do all that, thats good and you forgot to say you are STAR,

Re: dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

Accused
I did not say I am STAR.

To answer Kim's question, BAR should have put these guys out of business a long time ago.  I don't want them to be in business but I don't wish the same fate on other shops that have worked within the law.  Someone else said it right.  The fact that some of these cheaters are still in business is a glaring black mark on BAR.  It is proof that BAR has been sitting on their collective asses writing citations to techs that make honest mistakes instead of actually going after the law breaking cheaters.

The Sierra report alleges that shops are the problem in our smog check program.  And while I don't fully support that assertion, I understand that BAR was put under pressure to clean up their act and do their jobs.  But in typical government fashion, they tried to do as little as possible to keep their jobs by devoting major resources towards undercover runs and going after the "low hanging fruit" of techs not paying attention rather than true illegal activity.  Thanks Sherry!!

Under the right (or wrong) circumstances, ANY tech could miss something.  I would venture a guess that we all do at times - we are imperfect beings.  I don't personally think there is any excuse for missing something as obvious as most of the UC tampers I have seen, but none the less not one of us is perfect.

But that is still not INTENTIONAL illegal activity.  Enforcement has spent too little time on illegal activity and instead has padded their performance numbers with - as I said - the low hanging fruit.

So to clearly answer KIM's question, sorry BAR will just have to try harder to permanently put these guys out of business because honest people deserve to stay in business.

Re: dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

FRUSTRATED
Accused, great post man!

Re: dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

bigmike
Bottom line is ...we cannot control what happens to a car after it leaves our shop...plain and simple why are we being punished for testing HEPs.....I personally never refuse cars ..I remember way back during one of the update classes the instucter clearly told us that we don't have the right to refuse a car ...only if there's a safety issue...and what about when we had to buy the evap machine....everyshop had to have one...and now there's a buncha shops that don't even smog evap cars cuz there evap machine got fucked up and they never bothered fixin it

Re: dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

Keepitreal
Smogturd you are assuming all test only shops cheat and clean pipe and you act like the bar is incompent and as helpless as a little girl. Just because some one is star qualified doesn't mean they don't cheat.The shops that clean pipe has some of the highest FPR scores.The customer always goes back to the one that clean piped their car so now they have a high FPR score because they smog it last time and it passed 2 years later. According to star they must have done a proper test because it passed 2 years later

Re: dear MR. IM STAR,UR NOT

I'm STAR, Ur Not
Maybe you should smog it, and if it fails tell them about the CAP program. If they junk it, you're off the hook. If they try to fix it through CAP it is the next stations problem. And whatever you do, do not test it for less then you did the first time. If they get upset they don't get a free retest, let them make it someone else's problem.

MW