engine test and evap family data

jackhandy
Yeah this extra little bit of  info is totally, totally  voluntary. The "engineering" losers at BAR clearly want to compile more statistical data in an effort to further fuck up the smog check program, and are humbly requesting that you, the smog tech, provide said data in a very very specific format so that their software programs can decode it (they wouldn't want to actually read it and decode it themselves after all) (because they are humans, and humans, especially those employed by the State of California, are prone to making shit-loads of mistakes).

It is voluntary, and the nameless, faceless machine half-ass thanks you for wasting your precious income-earning time spent painstakingly and very accurately transposing the data onto their data base for them, which will eventually, in all likelihood, at some point  be twisted and used against you (or someone you know) in a court of law to convince a bored judge that you suck as a person, and you need to have your career revoked. (Sorry kids, daddy's looking for a new job, no Christmas this year).

Also realize that a governmental agency like the BAR has many different departments, and like any seriously jacked bureaucratic over priced, under delivering governmental agency staffed by nepotism and cronyism, their departments are too stupid to communicate with each other. Therefore, the field reps who pretend to know about automotive related stuff, that you encounter in your place of business, don't actually give a rat's ass about what the nameless, faceless hamsters in the "engineering" department want, and vice-versa. And by that, I mean to say that nothing will happen to you if you get the data right, wrong, or "UL" that shit all day.

Oh yeah, and if not for you, these reps who invade your place of business without a courtesy call first, wouldn't even have a job. So next time one comes down on you, your first response should be to (always) politely ask them to come back next week, when it's a more appropriate time. If that doesn't move their sorry fat ass along, then remind them that you are the reason they have the cushy job, instead of a tool bill and an aching back,  and you must demand the respect that comes from your employer/employee relationship. You are the boss.

Happy Smogging, and thank you for choosing a career helping to keep the air we all breathe clean. Our children, and our children's children thank you.

You matter!
Continually providing the highest quality telephone smog certs since the turn of the century!

Re: engine test and evap family data

Thanks for sharing, jack.  I'm off to bed ... maybe I'll dream of 77 Winnebagos and 79 RX7s that actually pass on their initial tests, and don't get written up for diagnostics as the customers wait, silently staring at me from just beyond the yellow chain.

Re: engine test and evap family data

smogido
Well said Mr. Jack.

Re: engine test and evap family data

Troll
well said.  cause you're right- bar will use info against us in the blink or wink of a butthole

Re: engine test and evap family data

Best Answer I Can Give
 The way I heard it, it was not BAR, It's ARB wants the info. Why? And this is the problem. WHY? I don't know.
Now if they told us why. Hey we are doing this to make it easier in the end and this is how, then they may not get so much grief.

 Let's look at the true numbers. 100 shops give them 5 a day that's 500 numbers that need to be looked at, rewritten, put in a Data base to make a useless spreed sheet, that will go no where.
 Now if you really want to mess with them, mess up a number or a letter every couple. Hell my tired old, can't see in the dark eyes, they have a hard time making out a B or a D. 3 or a 8. Hell fat finger a number.

 600 Numbers a day. in a 10 hour day that's one every minute. Does the computer trigger a piece written in the comment section. If it does start putting crap in the section. Now someone has to look at every one.

 I guess my whole point is why mess with them? Try to do what they want. Getting along with the BAR is  a lot better than having them as a enemy.