face mask

southbay smog
Hi
does anyone know what is a the best face mask to use during smog inspection of a gross polluter?
A face mask that could protect the technician against, CO, HC and Nox.
I have been a smog tech since 1987 and took a break for a few years and nowI am having having a hard time breathing with a vehicles  that smokes excessively.
Thank you

Re: face mask

There are no passive filters fine enough to protect you from HC, CO, or NO ... only particulates.  The CO molecule is actually smaller than the O2 molecule, and has a much higher affinity for hemoglobin.  You would need a sealed mask and fresh air supply to protect you from those tiny molecules, or you could tell those pukers to pound sand.

Re: face mask

cosmokramertheassman
Why wear a mask? Just give those junkers the boot.

Re: face mask

Re: face mask

Karupt
D,what did that OSHA lady say about techs with no masks ? or shop with no ventilation ?

Re: face mask

Re: face mask

smwalker
Every shop in the snowbelt uses some exhaust vent system for indoor shops.  My want to invest in something like that:'

https://www.fumeavent.com/

Re: face mask

D wrote
... She also wondered why we don't keep the fans on. No one noticed we don't even have the exhaust tubes that no one uses. The BAR guy noticed our building actually has exhaust chimneys for those hoses to hook up to.
You can't perform a proper visible smoke test with fans constantly running.  We are required by regulation to expose ourselves repeatedly to toxins.

Re: face mask

smwalker wrote
Every shop in the snowbelt uses some exhaust vent system for indoor shops.  My want to invest in something like that:'

https://www.fumeavent.com/
Those "crushproof" black hoses don't work with smog checks. They stink like they are going to melt or burst into flames even with a TSI test.