how many new techs would catch this?

dmlusmc
on some GM cars mainly pontiacs there is a "service vehicle soon light" and a "service engine soon light" how many new techs could likely tell the difference? lmfao I bet some new techs have failed a car for an illuminated service vehicle soon light since some may not know the difference without paying close attention lmfao

Re: how many new techs would catch this?

scanner
dmlusmc wrote
on some GM cars mainly pontiacs there is a "service vehicle soon light" and a "service engine soon light" how many new techs could likely tell the difference? lmfao I bet some new techs have failed a car for an illuminated service vehicle soon light since some may not know the difference without paying close attention lmfao
I had one of my customers try to get a smog inspection close to home on his Silverado.   The "Wrench Light" was on.   The smog tech said his car wouldn't pass with the light on, but he could get it to pass for $150.  My customer decided to pass on the offer and dropped his truck off before he went into work.

I told my customer that nothing was wrong with the vehicle, and he needed to perform some maintenance.   The other "tech" would just have to do a KOEO, pump the accelerator pedal a few times to reset the light.  He would have performed a legitimate smog inspection,  and pocket the rest of the money for resetting his maintenance light.

No clean piping or plugging, but fraud nonetheless.
Joe

Re: how many new techs would catch this?

Joe
If you're not sure which light it is, run a obd 2 test in manual mode and see if there are codes before the smog test.

Re: how many new techs would catch this?

FiendFX
The trick one is the Pontiac Bonneville. They look almost identical. One says Service Vehicle Soon and one says Service Engine Soon.

Re: how many new techs would catch this?

smgmn
Just had a car my friend fixed, mil on, many codes. All repairs where done and every monitor ran complete after repairs. Took it back to the shop that failed it and the tech would not test it because the "service wrench lite was on"
97 Saturn sl. This is pretty scary and damn funny at the same time.

Mark

Re: how many new techs would catch this?

smgmn
Not sure if it would do any good, but i would tell your customer to file a complaint with bar. They have to by law investigate them and possibly uc them. In this case i would think thatsjustfiable. This way they wont keep doing it to others, pro-active approach?
 Just my pennies :)

Mark

Re: how many new techs would catch this?

scanner
smgmn wrote
Not sure if it would do any good, but i would tell your customer to file a complaint with bar. They have to by law investigate them and possibly uc them. In this case i would think thatsjustfiable. This way they wont keep doing it to others, pro-active approach?
I can tell them, we all have the Sacramento 800 number on the wall, and I can give them the local office number, but unless the customer actually was out of pocket, they don't have the time or incentive to make the report.

Another customer went to a TO in Hawthorn near his home, and the vehicle failed it's BAR97 OBDII test.   The monitors hadn't run to completion.  The tech told him to drive around for a few hours so that the BAR would think the customer had the vehicle repaired, and the tech would pass the vehicle for $200.    The customer came to my shop in LA and asked why his truck didn't pass.   All the monitors were complete except EVAP and O2 heater.    I asked if he disconnected or replaced the battery recently.   He said, "No, it was running fine, and there was no issue before going into that station".

I am assuming that the tech cleared the PCM before the test, and told the customer that he'd pass the vehicle after the customer ran the minimum amount of monitors required to pass the inspection.   I guess the tech thought my customer was a shady kind of guy and would go for the "Clean Pipe/Plug".    I ran the vehicle, and issued a certificate.    I knew I wasn't going to get dinged, since it wasn't an initial test.

Aside from a Clean Pipe/Plug, I'm sure there are many other ways of illegally getting more money from the consumer than the 2 examples I posted.

Re: how many new techs would catch this?

DeadTheSTAR
i almost failed a car because of it when i started. noticed it turned on when running on the dyno. luckily my boss was there to correct me. thats something they dont teach at school

Re: how many new techs would catch this?

Kriss Vector

Re: how many new techs would catch this?

D Rochells 150861
If BAR gave out citations for failing cars incorrectly then they would have no time for catching clean pipers.

Re: how many new techs would catch this?

Just the Facts

Re: how many new techs would catch this?

Johnnybeme
Facts man, stunning detective work! Where on earth did you research this and man you have a lot of time on your hands. Looking forward to more examples of idiots!

Re: how many new techs would catch this?

D Rochells 150861
Ask the Oracle of Google with the appropriate prayer:

https://www.google.com/#q=http:%2F%2Fwww.bar.ca.gov%2Fpdf%2Faccusations%2F

Re: how many new techs would catch this?

Johnnybeme
Holy Cow!!!!!! "About 26,800,000 results (0.41 seconds) " Idiots!!!

Re: how many new techs would catch this?

EDITED

page 18, number 37

Re: how many new techs would catch this?

Johnnybeme wrote
Holy Cow!!!!!! "About 26,800,000 results (0.41 seconds) " Idiots!!!
That search pattern is a bit too wide ... try this one, and you should have less than 1000 results:

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/serp.html?q=%22code+section+44072.2%22&cx=001779225245372747843%3Anlecm77vlxc&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&nojs=1

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: how many new techs would catch this?

Johnnybeme
Dude your probably gonna get me in that search!

JM