i got dinged! Timing Not Performed on 1982 911SC

i got dinged! Timing Not Performed on 1982 911SC

ltq88120
just checked the May star report card.

Timing Not Performed on 1982 911SC. I remember book says not adjustable. gonna check tomorrow at work.

if the book said not adjustable how i going to do?

Re: i got dinged! Timing Not Performed on 1982 911SC

Hi, Itq88120.

My retired 2009 Motor ECSA states  5° @ 900 (timed at #1 cylinder with dist. vacuum disconnected and plugged).

My retired 2002 Mitchell ECAG states 5° BTDC @ 850-900 (vacuum hoses disconnected and plugged).

That's the best info that I can offer from home (yes, I have old guides at home, what a nerd!)

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: i got dinged! Timing Not Performed on 1982 911SC

 Just another shop owner
  Your first problem is "the Book Say's" No it's what the90% say. That is what the State will say.

 My answer to them would be "then if 90% do it wrong is that right"

 Lots of luck.

Re: i got dinged! Timing Not Performed on 1982 911SC

Don't know which book you were using but the Motor ECS 2013 says 5 degree BTDC with vacuum disconnected.

Re: i got dinged! Timing Not Performed on 1982 911SC

ltq88120
sorry guys.
I check the 2013 book today it says 5 degrees with distributor vacuum line disconnected. I was stupid enough to look the line above which is for 944, electronic controlled.

stupid stupid stupid!

Re: i got dinged! Timing Not Performed on 1982 911SC

Kevin
I got dinged today for tightening not performed, I pulled up the original noyess from the test I even wrote down the correct timing speck on the paperwork but when I entered it in the computer instead of hitting 10゚ before top dead center I hit 00゚., All I can say is human error and slow down

Re: i got dinged! Timing Not Performed on 1982 911SC

none
Entering the wrong timing won't give you a ding though.

Re: i got dinged! Timing Not Performed on 1982 911SC

D Rochells 150861
That would be cool if it did
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: i got dinged! Timing Not Performed on 1982 911SC

Many years ago I learned that most techs input whatever the VEC label says for timing even when not adjustable. When I changed to this method I never got a timing ding after. Someone on this thread has said it is about what the 90% do, and this is a good example although in your case it might have just been a human error.

Re: i got dinged! Timing Not Performed on 1982 911SC

Johnnybeme wrote
Many years ago I learned that most techs input whatever the VEC label says for timing even when not adjustable ...
I guess that puts me firmly in the minority.

Re: i got dinged! Timing Not Performed on 1982 911SC

D Rochells 150861
Add that with your tireless tire pressure checking and you are one rare tech.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!