if you want to open a mechanic shop

444O444
Friend of mine wants to open a general mechanic shop.

What kind of certifications you need?
What kind of inspections you should go through?
What kinds of state exams you should take?

thanks

Re: if you want to open a mechanic shop

user7112

Re: if you want to open a mechanic shop

dcf1ver
Tell em to stick to his backyard.

If hes really serious,buy an established shop.

Opening any small business in CA today is extremely expensive

Re: if you want to open a mechanic shop

dcf1ver

Re: if you want to open a mechanic shop

smog frogposter
This is not the 90's anymore, advice your friend to seek another venture unless he wants to join us in the rat race. Nowadays people would rather trade in their vehicles and lease a new one to avoid coming to your shop. good luck trying to persuade the customer that it is an investment they are making to themselves in maintaining their vehicles.

The cash for clunkers program also gave the industry a huge blow because of the fleet of vehicles that were retired are no longer on the road which we used to maintain. THANKS OBAMA.

Re: if you want to open a mechanic shop

444O444 wrote
Friend of mine wants to open a general mechanic shop.
That is a difficult proposition, IMO.  It's not the '70 like when I started.  Anyone with Craftsman tool box, and an assortment of wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers and pliers could open their own shop.  We only had to deal with electronic ignition.

Now you have computer engine controls. Networked actuators over then entire vehicle.  Just about every electronic device has to be coded.  You'll need an LSID to program PCMs.  ABS, SRS, ADAS....   and for every make out there.   Hard to be a general mechanic shop.

What kind of certifications you need?
You just need to fog a mirror.

What kind of inspections you should go through?
You need to get an ARD from the BAR.   I'm sure the Fire Department will want to inspect the facility for safety and fire issues.  You'll have to file with CERS https://cersbusiness2.calepa.ca.gov/Account/SignIn     You'll need your hoists and pressure vessels inspected.   If you have an alarm, you'll have to file with the Police dept.  You'll need a Business License Certificate.  There are a gang of other agencies you'll have to file with.  Don't think you can hide from any of them, they will find you.

What kinds of state exams you should take?
To be a shop owner?  None, AFAIK

thanks
You're welcome.

Re: if you want to open a mechanic shop

444O444
Thank you Scanner. i really appreciate it.

Re: if you want to open a mechanic shop

You need to get an ARD license from BAR. https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/ARD_Reg_App-FRM.pdf

And a business license from your city or county.

EDIT; This is the minimum. You will have to file sales tax and ect., shop insurance,  Disability insurance if you have employees, waste oil permit in my county anyway.

Re: if you want to open a mechanic shop

444O444
Thank you None

Re: if you want to open a mechanic shop

Has he ever worked in a shop;?  That's a prerequisite IMO, no matter how experienced or talented.
If it ain't broke, break it.

Re: if you want to open a mechanic shop

xcinlb
Great suggestions above. Also, finding automotive properties to lease or if you have millions to purchase, is getting  harder and harder, at lease in my area of southern Ca. Cities balk at opening a test only shop, which is pretty clean as far as automotive shops go. So then you are at the mercy of greedy landlords that again, in my area just up the wazoo and get automatic 3% rent increases every year, no matter what the economy is.

Re: if you want to open a mechanic shop

Ser Dan
Same!
3% increase every year
Such BS

Re: if you want to open a mechanic shop

Best Answer I Can Give
 Does this not go back to the old, "If you have to ask you can't afford it"
Very true about finding a place to open. Hazardous Waste and Land Lords will KILL it. I only got in this place because I generate ZERO hazardous waste. If I was Test and repair, I would not be in this location.

 The question I MUST ask is, How in the hell do you think you are going to run a shop if you are not WILLING to get off your ass, and find out FOR YOURSELF?

Re: if you want to open a mechanic shop

Ser Dan wrote
Same!
3% increase every year
Such BS
This MAY comes from the new California statewide rent control law AB 1482.

The problem with the way the law is written I have to raise the rent every year on my renter or I can't catch up to market value after they move out. It punishes the good renters who stay in one place for a long time who usually end up being in a place below market value because a good renter is cheaper to keep.

Most local rent control laws allow you to "catch up" on the 3-5% increases when you change tenants.

Re: if you want to open a mechanic shop

Some of this depends on the county in which you want to open a business. You're going to need your County and City licenses some of them may require Environmental licensing and air tank licensing. Additionally you're going to want to have some professional credentials to put on the wall just to but some of your customers at ease that's not a requirement in a lot of places but it certainly helps. I took over a shop in March of last year in Santa Clara County. Any advice or questions that you may require just send them off to me if I can help I will certainly give you the information

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020, 8:33 AM 444O444 [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Friend of mine wants to open a general mechanic shop.

What kind of certifications you need?
What kind of inspections you should go through?
What kinds of state exams you should take?

thanks

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/if-you-want-to-open-a-mechanic-shop-tp5078305.html

Re: if you want to open a mechanic shop

My friend windyanus (RIP), would tell greenhorns at the dealership how easy it was to open a shop and make all the $$ for themselves.  He would cajole in laughter when they came back broke, tired, and totally beat up.
Also-most PR1's would boast how they were shop owners for 3.5 years and bah blah blah. Total failures.
I opened up in 1980, with a handshake from my landlord. 20 plus years.  03 landlord total crooked used car shiek.
My advice to the newbie is forget it and go to ups.

Re: if you want to open a mechanic shop

none
I'm glad I opened my own shop. I started as test/repair, heavy on repair. The mark up on parts along with labor makes for pretty good money if you have good service adviser skill too. I didn't and find a smog check station to be much less stress and still a pretty easy business to make good money at.

The only thing I would do different is buy a building as soon as I could. I still rent and I could have bought another building about ten years ago and wouldn't still be paying rent if I did.

Re: if you want to open a mechanic shop

Best Answer I Can Give
 If you buy a building, BUY for yourself. DON"T be a LANDLORD.

 Stupid ass tenants. A lot of worry and problems went away when I sold this building. I have back some FREE TIME.