invoicing programs

none
I am interested in purchasing a new invoicing program. What do you guys have that you like (or don't like)?

Currently I own Mitchell which is fine for repair but too slow for just smog checks so I still hand write most smog invoices and enter the information into the computer the next day. The paper invoices get expensive and don't look that professional. Mitchell no longer sells updates and will only lease the program but I want to own it.

I want one that I can scan the DMV form and hopefully a driver's license too. I want to own it and I don't want it to have to be connected to the internet in order to work.

TIA

Re: invoicing programs

Best Answer I Can Give
 In your town. (I think)

 Windworks. Almost to much. Don't know about the Driver's license. I do know about the DMV form, we asked them to add it.
Been with them from just about the time they started. Great support. Not that bad every year for license fee. Hooks up to Car Fax and it finds VIN and all the other crap.
 WAY TO MUCH for us. Still love it. Set up right it will do a TON of stuff. 1 800 WIN WORKS

 Couple of us on this site use it.
 Sometimes you have to be Smarter than the Equipment you are working with.

Re: invoicing programs

none
Not real confidence inspiring when I go to their website WINWORKS.COM and get a security warning that the website is not safe.  They are a software company right?

Re: invoicing programs

Best Answer I Can Give
 Not going to argue with you on that one.

 They just work good. I believe if you really watch it good, and people put in the RIGHT INFO it's all you need. Will give you all the accounting CRAP at the end of the day.
 Sometimes you have to be Smarter than the Equipment you are working with.

Re: invoicing programs

For what it's worth, I'm running Bit Defender and frequently get site warnings.  I went to winworks.com, and no warnings and the site appears to be pretty legit, but follow your instincts, of course!
If it ain't broke, break it.

Re: invoicing programs

Dgon27
I currently use the following:
https://www.demandadvantage.com/
New in the business and first invoicing program.
So not much to compare to, but really like it.

Re: invoicing programs

xcinlb
@Dgon27, So how much are you paying for Demand Advantage? It looks like they start at $39 but then show other prices of $69 per month. $69 per month is $828 per year, more than I pay for forms. It looks like this stores your customer history on a cloud based system? Can you also store in a hard drive?

Re: invoicing programs

Best Answer I Can Give
 Sorry None, I just reread your first post. You only want a Smog invoice, if I read it right this time.
In that case I KNOW NOTHING. Win Works is a GREAT all around invoice tool. It works well for us.
 Sometimes you have to be Smarter than the Equipment you are working with.

No program out there will decode data from DMV form or drivers license without access to the internet. I have Winworks and it does a pretty decent job at decoding vehicle data from the license plate (done through carfax). You also have to option whether or not you want to upload your customers vehicle info to carfax. I think I paid $3k for winworks and I own the rights for it. Comes with 1 year free updates and after that you have to pay for updates yearly. I haven't paid for any updates for ~3yrs now and it works just fine.

Re: invoicing programs

I want one that I can scan the DMV form and hopefully a driver's license too. I want to own it and I don't want it to have to be connected to the internet in order to work.

You want it to decode the VIN?  That's a tall order.    That's a crap load of information to keep locally on your hard drive.

If you only want to extract the VIN and License numbers from the DMV Renewal Form.  Here's a spreadsheet I just made.

VIN_and_License_Extractor.xlsx

I'm working on the Driver's License decoder now, but it's a lot more work.   It uses %,^,$,#, and ? as separators.

Re: invoicing programs

none
I don't need to decode the VIN just enter plate# and VIN# in the correct boxes would be nice.

I currently use my Mitchell program that I own and highlight the VIN box and scan the DMV document with a bar code scanner and then take out the last eight digits. I leave all the "%O" stuff.

I don't need to stay off the internet with it but I do like the idea of having my office computer not able to be hacked from the web.

I haven't bought an update for Mitchell since 2007 so any 2008 or later vehicle I have to manually type the make, model, and year.

Between this page and Nate's "Smog Tech's Only" page I have come up with Winworks.com, Smogmaster.biz, and demandadvantage.com. I will also look more into a Mitchell subscription since they don't sell updates anymore and into Quickbooks Automotive invoicing. Thank you for all the advice guys.

Re: invoicing programs

Best Answer I Can Give
 Well they did at one time send out a FREE try this for so many days or invoice time It was on a CD.

 The one thing that I did like about them, and this was when they were new. They LOVED input.
I think the owners name is Kevin. Hell see if they can make up a good Smog Check invoice program.
They were close to you years ago.
 Sometimes you have to be Smarter than the Equipment you are working with.

Re: invoicing programs

xcinlb wrote
@Dgon27, So how much are you paying for Demand Advantage? It looks like they start at $39 but then show other prices of $69 per month. $69 per month is $828 per year, more than I pay for forms. It looks like this stores your customer history on a cloud based system? Can you also store in a hard drive?
It looks like for my shop I would be $69/month. I personally don't need the advertising or a lot of what they offer though it is cheaper than Smog Master per month which would come out close to $200/month.

Re: invoicing programs

Juicebox
MaxxTraxx - Scotts system. Its capable of much more than what we use it for, but its not too bad for the price.

Re: invoicing programs

SoCalSmogGuy
I am interested in purchasing a new invoicing program. What do you guys have that you like (or don't like)?

Currently I own Mitchell which is fine for repair but too slow for just smog checks so I still hand write most smog invoices and enter the information into the computer the next day. The paper invoices get expensive and don't look that professional. Mitchell no longer sells updates and will only lease the program but I want to own it.

I want one that I can scan the DMV form and hopefully a driver's license too. I want to own it and I don't want it to have to be connected to the internet in order to work.

TIA

Demand Advantage by Joseph Vandertol

https://www.demandadvantage.com/

Best and cheapest system out there.
Work Smarter AND Harder

Re: invoicing programs

xcinlb
@None, the Quickbooks sounds interesting for just basic invoices, but you have to log in to Quickbooks to use it right? Having employees login in to QB would not work for us, if that is the way you use it?

I also so this, https://www.autorepairbill.com   Auto Repair Bill, $25 per month unlimited invoices. Looks like more than we need though, but price isn't bad.

Re: invoicing programs

none
I looked into Quickbooks last night and I agree, It looks more like something you would use if you bill people every few weeks for a big construction job or something. It doesn't look idea for 50 invoices a day.

https://www.autorepairbill.com seems like the cheapest so far. I will look into it tonight when it is quiet.

SoCalSmogGuy wrote
Demand Advantage by Joseph Vandertol

https://www.demandadvantage.com/

Best and cheapest system out there.
demandadvantage.com looks the best so far. I like the idea of being able to scan the DMV form and driver's license too.

Re: invoicing programs

Dgon27
I pay $41 a month. It’s all cloud based and cannot store on hard drive as far as I know. Type in a plate or scan a VIN and vehicles info comes up. You can buy an external device to scan one license and all the customers info comes in. I just type customer info and scan the VIN. They gave me a free 30 day trial. Well worth the $41.

Re: invoicing programs

SamiTheSmogChick
Hey NONE-

Just curious what (if any) invoicing program you ended up going with? I've been looking into different ones and discovered that there really isn't anything out there catered to test-only stations. It seems the ones for our industry are more compatible for repair or test & repair stations. Where, as a test-only, you'd end up paying more for lots of extras that will never be used.

Currently my station (test-only) uses paper invoices and they get the job done, but it feels like a lot of extra repeated steps (initially writing all customer & vehicle info on the paper invoice, then at the end of the day entering that same info into the computer).

Any tips are greatly appreciated, thank you.

Re: invoicing programs

bangla
Hello there, I recently started using DDMS Dynamic database management system (ebay) very nice program but you have to set it up. It comes raw but with all the features to make it work for your application. I paid about $60.00 for the basic version where you have to enter all vehicle information, but you can purchase the enterprise edition which comes preloaded with a bunch of vehicle data to make invoice writing faster. I'm very happy with it and it comes with lifetime free upgrades.
12