lost copy of VIR

sandman
     a car came in and failed the test, then as usual, i gave them a copy of the failed report to take to their mechanic, they called me back 2 months later and told me they lost the copy i gave them and asked me to print another one.   I dont really want to dig for the hard copy so i told them to comeby so we could dig together.
     do we (as a tech or an owner) have the right to refuse digging for the shops hard copy because they lost the one we gave them? or is it our responsibility to give them another copy no matter what.?   any easier way to somehow find that specific car somewhere online that i dont know about?

Re: lost copy of VIR

just another shop owner
 Better yet, can you FAX me a copy? NO Fax is brocken you will need to come in. Miracle they found it.
Yes you need to keep a copy for three years plus it's good customer service. But make them waste time of there own.

 Good record keeping helps find it easier. Look up the plate, find the day. realy easy if you stay on top of your paper work

Re: lost copy of VIR

Accused
Customer needs to supply the exact date or they don't get any help from us.  If I pull that date and it's not there, too bad.  But if they have the date right, no problem.  The machine stores info and VIR's going back a set number of cars.  I always check that first.

Re: lost copy of VIR

SMGMN
Just go to the bar website enter the lic# or vin  in vehicle history. It will show everything except the shop it was done at, that feature is gone now,  Hope this helps good luck.

Mark  Scalia
ea095540

Re: lost copy of VIR

timmy
Had a customer come in today and ask for a copy of a smog. I ask him when was it done and he said last July. I told him the cert is now expired but he insisted it was good because DMV said they just want proof it was done. I asked him why did he take so long to register the car, his response was he's transferring the title to him from his sister in law.  I told him its worthless now since its expired but said, "its my right as a customer to get a copy I paid for!" I told him to come tomorrow morning and I would look for it since I was closing in 10 min. What would you guys do?

Re: lost copy of VIR

I save all of the OIS VIR .pdfs in their own folders on the OIS hard drive, and Windows 8 has a pretty decent search function in the "Home" menu.  I just start typing the VIN onto the search line, and it looks for it in the .pdf file names.  If it's '99 or older, I only have the last 100 tests available (about 3 or 4 weeks around here), so I would just send the complainer to my boss and have him deal with it.  In fact, if I was busy I would send the complainer to my boss for 2000 and newer as well.

timmy wrote
... "its my right as a customer to get a copy I paid for!" ...
My response would be "I gave you the copy you paid for last July, dickweed!" or words to that effect.

Re: lost copy of VIR

Skanga
timmy wrote
What would you guys do?
I'd tell him he paid for A copy of the test. If he wants another, it's gonna be $20.

Re: lost copy of VIR

timmy
timmy wrote
... "its my right as a customer to get a copy I paid for!" ...
My response would be "I gave you the copy you paid for last July, dickweed!" or words to that effect.

I actually did tell him that I gave him a copy when he paid and his response was, "If I wanted another copy of my receipt from a restaurant, they have to give it to me, even if its 7 months later!" Thats when I thought to myself, forget it, no point to argue anymore.

Re: lost copy of VIR

none
I would give him a copy of the receipt just like the restaurant would but the restaurant wouldn't give another meal or keep your napkin from July so "no smog cert for you!" I actually would be more polite and give a print out of the smog history off the BAR website that shows the date and cert number. If they want a copy of the cert I will pull it but not while they wait. I tell them I will have it the next day. It doesn't happen too often.

Re: lost copy of VIR

My Name is Nobody
I would try to find the VIR and make a duplicate copy for my customer when I have a moment.

By the way, transfer vehicle title between sibling doesn't need smog check.  See attached form, section B

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/5a40cbcc-a9a9-4a42-ac43-a8564fa552c0/reg256.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Re: lost copy of VIR

Monkey
I always tell them its going to be a week before I can get it since the records are keep off the property and they need to know the date it was done.

Re: lost copy of VIR

Best Answer I Can Give
 DAMN IT'S SLOW. Where is all the customers?

LET'S PISS THEM OFF

 My deal is, you need to come down. FAX is broken. Then they usually find it.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: lost copy of VIR

DAMN IT'S SLOW. Where is all the customers?
Just a guess on my part, but I would say that they're out somewhere getting high and making more welfare babies.

Re: lost copy of VIR

Best Answer I Can Give
 Funny. But what I was getting at, Whats it cost? A couple of minutes to keep a customer? Why piss them off?
Yes I make them come down. The reason? Prove your just not being LAZY.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: lost copy of VIR

cosmokramertheassman
I just recently had a similar experience with a neighbor. He smogged his Tahoe back in October and by the time he went to the DMV to pay his registration (which was due in the beginning of January), his 90 days were up. The smog had "expired." I told him he would have to do it over again but he insisted that if he took the October smog certificate paper to the DMV, they would let him slide. I doubted him but printed the cert for him anyway. Sure enough, a few days later, he came in telling me that they let him register his truck without re-doing the smog.

Re: lost copy of VIR

STI evap sucks

Re: lost copy of VIR

Best Answer I Can Give
 Back a Billion years ago, part of the law said if you have a car that was bought and smoged up to 6 months in advance of a Bi Annual, a Check would not be required.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: lost copy of VIR

timmy
I have had customers come back and do another test because they tried to register their cars 95 days after the smog and were denied because it expired 5 days ago. I guess it depends on the DMV employee. I made a copy of the cert anyways, just waiting for the guy to come get it.

Re: lost copy of VIR

Minimum Labor = $30.00 so this I charge for both data research and actual duplicate forms.

Re: lost copy of VIR

Karupt
I do not reccomend the customer searching in your files with you as we have a duty to protect others records as well . (i think) So , we do like JBM and ask for their car licence plate , tell them to come tomorrow and bring 10 cash .
12