mental problem lady in San Francisco

Re: mental problem lady in San Francisco

BayAreaSmogTech
<quote author="bizarsmog">
Vin:9bwgk61jx24005047 lic plate#6gxu183  2002 VW golf <Her car's fail because of broken air pump mount and than she run away , without paid
  be careful today, Guys
</quote>

You're going to have to explain to the BAR why you visually failed a car with a working air pump assembly. That's a pass with a helpful reminder to the customer that she should get the rubber grommets replaced.

Edit: just looked at the vin and you failed it with a T (missing, modified, defective). So you literally lied and said the airpump was defective when it's not. Just hope BAR don't come a knockin'

Re: mental problem lady in San Francisco

mikesmobile
It would be considered a defective fail under BAR 97. Now it's considered Tampered fail.
Saw it in the update class video.
You're good. Broken, moving all over the place, it's a defective AIS. You're not just inspecting the Air Pump which probably is working, you're job is to inspect all Emission Control System's, all of every system.
Mike

Re: mental problem lady in San Francisco

cosmokramertheassman
If that's what they're teaching in the update class, that makes no sense at all. How is an air pump going to be considered defective because it's not attached via bracket to the engine bay? If the pump has all hoses and connectors attached at the time of inspection, it should not fail because it is not defective.

Re: mental problem lady in San Francisco

mikesmobile wrote
It would be considered a defective fail under BAR 97. Now it's considered Tampered fail.
Saw it in the update class video.
How is that considered tampered?

Re: mental problem lady in San Francisco

 I would look at the BAR guy and tell him HELL FUCKING YES I FAILED IT. You want to know why?
The fucked up STAR program that's why.
Can you prove to me than in less than 2 years that will not break a hose, break something that will effect my score the next time it get's looked at?
That pump flapping in the wind will break a hose, hell maybe even fall of the car and hit another car. So Mr. BAR you want that responsibility? NOT ME

Re: mental problem lady in San Francisco

dammm she ran away ? I bet ya it was Hillary C .

Re: mental problem lady in San Francisco

Well at least most of us won't fail it for that.

How is the air pump defective? Do you fail cars because they have broken engine or tranny mounts? When you check the air pump, you're checking the air pump, hoses, check valve and wiring. Mounts have NOTHING to do with the smog inspection. BAR really needs to start giving out citations for bullshit failures because that's fraud and it really fucks the guy that smogged it before.

Changed from defective to tampered. No more defective. That's what's in the video.
Mike

Not just checking the air pump, air pump is probably fine. Inspecting the entire AIS (Air Injection System). Hoses, brackets, pump, clamps, everything.
Mike

Re: mental problem lady in San Francisco

Re: mental problem lady in San Francisco

D,

What about those old 92 VW cars with distributor that is adjustable? Hood label doesn't show timing spec.

What do you mean by that? You have the choice of entering either one or pass or N/A.

Re: mental problem lady in San Francisco

mikesmobile wrote
Not just checking the air pump, air pump is probably fine. Inspecting the entire AIS (Air Injection System). Hoses, brackets, pump, clamps, everything.
If it has a bad pump, check valve, or hose it will raise the emissions, but a broken mount will not raise the emissions.

Some are saying that it might break later but it might not too. I have seen plenty running around with broken mount and not have broken hoses.

Re: mental problem lady in San Francisco

Re: mental problem lady in San Francisco

scanner
D wrote
I wish we could fail VAG products for using the worlds worst vacuum line even if it's not leaking.
The VAG vacuum lines make everyone easy money.

Re: mental problem lady in San Francisco

Re: mental problem lady in San Francisco

Just the Facts

Re: mental problem lady in San Francisco

mikesmobile wrote
Changed from defective to tampered. No more defective. That's what's in the video.
I think I need to watch that video to confirm, and have a word or two with its author if that's the case.  One of my wife's cats just got killed by a car, so I'll have to watch it later.

Vehicles that Tamper-Fail are not allowed the same CAP benefits afforded to vehicles that Defective-Fail, and this VW case should (at its worst) be labeled Defective.  I almost certainly would not have Failed it, but I can't fault those of you who would.  It is not a fault of the techs that visual inspections are subjective, it is the fault of the vague definitions provided to us by the SCM.
123