never again

nanz1414
i had a older customer come in yesterday.. with a 93 toyota  previa van.   i told him sorry. i dont test those.  he asked me who does.  he called every shop in town. everyone said no.. after talking with him for a few minutes and it was slow.. i decided to test it..   a hr later..  30 minutes of that looking for the evap canister... nd i was done..   never again..  but hes a pix of the timing mark...

Re: never again

smog man
Yea those POS previa vans suck. But I'd rather do one of those, then a old POS motorhome. You can locate the canister pretty quick, when you remove the cover under the drivers seat, using a mirror and flashlight. My fat ass won't fit under it to check timing. I just enter the timing spec on these, I'm not going to jack it up, and risk damaging my timing light.

Re: never again

Evap isn't bad but timing sucks. The 85-86 Toyota vans are worse for timing check. I reject those.

What really gets me is they both always reek of patchouli oil.

Re: never again

Evap isn't bad but timing sucks. The 85-86 Toyota vans are worse for timing check. I reject those.

What really gets me is they both always reek of patchouli oil.
My old co-worker used to call the '85-'86 Toyota vans "Taliban wagons".   I only "get" to test them and the Previas if we're at least kind of slow, and I think my boss bumps the estimate price up for them, but I'm not sure.  We've been kind of slow for two days now ... maybe a couple of 'em will show up today ...

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

[edit: A 1990 Aerostar just stumbled in a minute ago ... close enough!]
[edit #2:  I failed the Aerostar for timing @ 1°BTDC.  The NOx was very close to the cut-point, so we should have some drama when it comes back for a retest.]
[edit #3:  It returned for a timing adjustment and retest.  It squeaked through at the cut-points ... FuPRd over again!!]

Re: never again

Voltron
Ive done 2 of those shit boxes today. They're all over berkeley, damn hippies love em. I think you got the only previa in solano. Never seen one out there in years

Re: never again

First time doing the previa I admit it was frustrating. I rather do previas than astro vans.

Re: never again

drivecycle
only if its slow and customer is paying full price for 95 and older van (79.95)
if they bring a coupon I'll laugh in their face because it won't apply.  I tell them in advance if it fails they gotta pay the full price again for the retest. but I'll also inform them of the vehicle retirement program  which they can apply for instead of wasting their money trying to fix up a junker..

I got a lift and external battery handy which makes it easier. otherwise forget it.
one good thing is there's no doghouse to open up if I remember correctly. haven't done one in a while.

Re: never again

I only do one of those Scooby doo van once a year. It's hard to see the marks on the pulley. Everytime I smog those I feel like im in the Flintstone era. Driving one foot in and one foot out

Re: never again

ozzey
I would not enter the timing spec if you didn't check timing on these from now on.

I got my citation from not performing timing on a 92 Previa. I performed the EVAP test but was too lazy to jack up the vehicle. Few months later, I got a certified mail from you know who. Previas are not that bad after you have done a few. What I don't understand is how some people check timing without jacking the sucker up. Im not a big guy and I have a hard time squeezing under the damn thing.

Re: never again

none
IF the timing pointer is clean you can do it with an inspection mirror but I haven't seen a clean one in at least ten years so I charge extra.

Re: never again

ozzey wrote
 Im not a big guy and I have a hard time squeezing under the damn thing.
I'm not a big guy either. I always lift them, to check the timing.   I use a small battery similar to the ones you find in UPS device to power the test light.

I usually pinch the evap line through the hatch under the driver seat.

All in all, the Previas are not that difficult to test.   I turn away any of the earlier Toyota vans.

Re: never again

drivecycle
ozzey wrote
I would not enter the timing spec if you didn't check timing on these from now on.

I got my citation from not performing timing on a 92 Previa. I performed the EVAP test but was too lazy to jack up the vehicle. Few months later, I got a certified mail from you know who. Previas are not that bad after you have done a few. What I don't understand is how some people check timing without jacking the sucker up. Im not a big guy and I have a hard time squeezing under the damn thing.

how do you get a citation for not performing timing? was it an undercover vehicle?
else it should just effect your score. was this before or after the star program?

Re: never again

ozzey
This was way before STAR. I would say it was around 2009-2010.

I entered 5*BTDC and PASSED it. The Previa was a UC, BAR claimed timing was at 15*btdc and it should had FAILED.

Re: never again

loptru
Irvine field office has the 1993 Previa AllTrac with timing set at 14 BTC.

Re: never again

Hey, welcome back, loptru!  I was never able to thank you properly for your valuable info a couple of years back.  Back in the trenches?

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: never again

loptru
Yes Barry, my FPR finally reset to a no score. The weird thing is as soon as i was able to perform smog inspections, BAR sent me 2 UC back to back.