newbie looking for advice

eaglealum
this seems like a lively place with lots of opinions.

i'm considering buying a shop. i've been doing a lot of research and talking to lots of techs and other owners, but curious what people here think.

why should i get into this? why should i run like hell? how do i know if a shop is a good one?

Re: newbie looking for advice

none
Test only or test and repair? I think test only is dying.

For sure have the guy show you his numbers and compare with the price. See what hos gross and net profit numbers are and how much his average repair order is and what kinds of cars he works on compared to what you want to work on and what equipment goes with it and what that is worth TO YOU used.

There is usually a reason they are selling too. How much competition is in the area and are they low balling each other? You won't be STAR once it changes hands also if that is an issue in your area.

Re: newbie looking for advice

Peter
This post was updated on .
No future for Test Only, Smog Test will be add-on for Auto Repair, Gas Station, Oil Changer, Brake Shop, etc. Just Smog is a disaster. Average is 9.5 smogs a day average.

Recent Month                    Market Share      No. of Station    Total Smogs
California                         7843         1100565
STAR Test Only 51.25%         1904         564084
STAR Test & Repair 29.98%         2422         329979
Test Only        2.69%          409                 29648
Regular Test & Repair 16.07%         3088         176854

Re: newbie looking for advice

 eaglealum, If I was looking for advise My opening line would be , Let ME Wine You, Dine You, 69 You, I would like some advise.

 You are looking to put out some major money. A MAJOR CHANGE to your life. PAY ME. Take me out to dinner, lunch. SPEND SOME TIME AND MONEY. Who is willing to get a FREE dinner for some advise?
I am in the (Blank) area.

 You are looking at something that will feed the family. INVEST some time and money. Get advise from MANY people.
If anything use this site to find people who are willing to give you GOOD SOUND ADVISE, not some short little couple words.
 Sometimes you have to be Smarter than the Equipment you are working with.

Re: newbie looking for advice

none
I think he's looking for some simply pointers which I and others would gladly give for free.

NOW EDIT YOUR POST. I don't want to know what freaky stuff you are into but the 69 reference is

EDIT, By your own words I guess we should have charged you for diagnostic advice on the Lexus?

Re: newbie looking for advice

Best Answer I Can Give
Ok None you got me.

 No I was just looking for a "Hey this is what fixes the Lexus." And yes I paid to get it fixed. I paid for it by learning about LAF sensors. Pulling a CAT down and finding it was lose.

 I paid in time and sweat.

 Wine me. Dine Me . 69 Me. Hell that is probably older than both of us together.

 And YES I am looking at getting in to the funeral line. YES I have wined and Dined people to get info out of.
Good friend, very SHARP lawyer. Needed some legal advise. Yes I gave him a VERY expensive bottle of wins. I did it KNOWING full well and good I cannot pay him.

 The ARP boys, never pay for a smog check. I never pay for a bolt.

 I BELIEVE in paying for advise GOOD ADVISE. Stuff you are using to feed you and the family? PAY FOR THAT ADVISE.

 If I ever get a chance to meet Scanner, you, JM, D, HELL YES I WILL WINE AND DINE AND 69  THEM
 Your  got me the smile I was looking for, THANKS

its all about location location location, with the new bar97 or whatever we are calling it. starting from scratch might be your best option. we need way more info, list of equipment included. he can have a whole computer full of customers but no guarantee that they will want to do business with you.  i doubt he will be turning over to you a paid off gen3 or EIS5000 it will be rented or financed. you could possibly start from scratch easily keeping it under 50k . like i said we need more info how much is he asking and are you a tech thats gonna be working full time or a out of shop owner looking to make some money. the 2nd one dont always work out as fast as most people expect it to.

Re: newbie looking for advice

Ok None you got me.

 Wine me. Dine Me . 69 Me. Hell that is probably older than both of us together.
You realize that 69 is referencing a sexual position, RIGHT?

Best Answer I Can Give wrote
If I ever get a chance to meet ......., you,.., ., HELL YES I WILL WINE AND DINE AND 69  THEM
 Your  got me the smile I was looking for, THANKS
OH NO YOU WONT!
Ee

you looking to buy the business, and property, or just the business. If its just the shop and not the property, ask about the terms of the lease, cause they can raise your lease and put you out of bussiness

Re: newbie looking for advice

Best Answer I Can Give
 Some what has to do with this,+ OIS is down.
Tuesday night, Met a young lady looking to hire to do computer stuff for the funeral thing.
This works both directions.

 She was early Plus point. She had a note book and something to write with. Plus point. She had already started on what I wanted. Major plus point.

 What I am getting at? You are the buyer or the seller, is that person ready with the needed stuff. Seller, does he have a lease agreement with them. Profit and loss statements.
 Does the buyer have stuff to show he has the money. He is buying and going to make it better or run your baby into the ground.
Most people can not come up with all you want. You will need to "Carry". Will he run it down and you will be out your carry money plus the business is shut down because all they did was CLEAN.

 Lots of things to sit and think about. That is why you FEED ME.
 Sometimes you have to be Smarter than the Equipment you are working with.

Re: newbie looking for advice

dano
Lots of things to sit and think about. That is why you FEED ME.

Re: newbie looking for advice

Best Answer I Can Give
 dano, nice to see you had a ORIGINAL THOUGHT.  NOT.
Hey any person can post a meme. Thinking takes some THOUGHT.

You know Besta sometimes it's better to remain quiet and be THOUGHT
of as a fool than to open your mouth/keyboard and remove all doubt..

Re: newbie looking for advice

Best Answer I Can Give
 Who is the REAL FOOL?
You have "Labeled me a FOOL yet you have never met me.
 I could have typed in any IDIOT can post a meme. But I have never met you. So who is the bigger fool? One who labels a person without ever meeting them. Or the one that believe the person, with out really KNOWING them just need to get some learning in them.

 As you get older and wiser you will learn that labeling a person is no way to win a discussion. Talking and putting your points across, that takes some thought. Just labeling them because it would require some thought.

 Hell Hillary labeled people. She will never see the White House. Just because you disagree with what a person put's down does not make them a FOOL. Labeling a person that you have never met tells me you just need to grow up and start thinking.

 Notice the people who have the respect of people don't ever label them. I have no respect for Donald also. He label's
 Sometimes you have to be Smarter than the Equipment you are working with.

Re: newbie looking for advice

Troll
I think its an excellent idea to take an experienced one of us old fucks out and tap our brain.
I'd be up for an "old fashioned", and or "rusty trombone" also.
If my smog dinner date was not my cup of tea- I'd  tell them rent i'd like one for an hour or less ofmy choosing.Heck- go on tinder and get it for free
afterwards- i'd tell em whatever they needed to learn.

Ok fine!!! Let's all meet. Then it will be official... LoL!!!

Re: newbie looking for advice

Best Answer I Can Give
 Really thought about just ignoring about meeting up. But that would make me look chicken.

 So here goes. WHY? You will still walk away thinking I'm a fool and I will walk away knowing that as you get older you WILL GET WISER .
Meeting you gets me nothing. I put down to have an ORIGINAL THOUGHT, and you come back with a saying that was on Adam and Eves T shirt.
The OLD keep your mouth shut thing is older than the combined age of ALL of us on this site.

 The reason this site is here? Sheri did not THINK.

 I'm going to do something that I should not. The only reason I do it because the guy in the Video says it so much better than any one else I have ever seen.
It's called, From the Left to the Left. English guy, Day or two after trump won. It's PERFECT. It points out what is wrong with what we have turned into. Label a person without KNOWING them.

 You want me? Drive out here. You have nothing to offer. Well OK maybe how to put memes on a post, but I have son;s that can teach me that. So save the time and gas.

 The kid showed up. Here is the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs

 Thanks.
 Sometimes you have to be Smarter than the Equipment you are working with.

Re: newbie looking for advice

dano wrote

 be careful he has all our addresses

Re: newbie looking for advice

dano
BasicTech678 wrote
dano wrote
You have "Labeled me a FOOL yet you have never met me.

Ok fine!!! Let's all meet. Then it will be official... LoL!!!
 be careful he has all our addresses

I remember.. lol  And isn't it against his sons probation to use a computer??
Another old saying he probably won't get either is: An apple doesn't fall far from
the tree...

Re: newbie looking for advice

BasicTech678
dano wrote
BasicTech678 wrote
dano wrote
You have "Labeled me a FOOL yet you have never met me.

Ok fine!!! Let's all meet. Then it will be official... LoL!!!
 be careful he has all our addresses

I remember.. lol  And isn't it against his sons probation to use a computer??
Another old saying he probably won't get either is: An apple doesn't fall far from
the tree...
i think you mean

side note RIP MR Jim Lahey
12