not a soul for 3 hours

alievsam
nobody for 3 hours, then 9 car cars in 15 minutes, everybody wants to get out as soon as possible, 5 customers didn't wait.
still not bad but...leaving customer randomly comes back.

Re: not a soul for 3 hours

Evaponly818
Must be nice to have a rush haha. What area are you in? OC here and I’ve done 0 smh. Ever since my buddy left me to run the shop on my own I feel the pressure to get work in. Not because he’s on my case as a matter of fact I don’t what I wanna.. haha but feels great turning in to him the shop money after I pay myself

Re: not a soul for 3 hours

MikesFB6
Try nobody for 3 days!  I feel like im robbing the owner every payday. I'm more of a security guard than a smog tech, making sure nobody steal the dyno out of the ground.

Re: not a soul for 3 hours

Evaponly818
What area are you in? Smog stations are as common as liquor stores nowadays.

Re: not a soul for 3 hours

MikesFB6
Corona here. The shop is only a month old, but still. Going from a high volume shop to nothing is a huge change.

Re: not a soul for 3 hours

alievsam
SF/ Bay Area

Re: not a soul for 3 hours

xcinlb
July started our strong and this past week has just died.

Re: not a soul for 3 hours

Best Answer I Can Give
 Hey mike, by starting a NEW shop, you just contributed to the problem. TO MANY SHOP"S.

Re: not a soul for 3 hours

MikesFB6
I didn't START anything, im just here for my check every week.

Re: not a soul for 3 hours

SOLO310
1 SMOG SINCE 845AM THIS WEEK HAS BEEN A GHOST TOWN

Re: not a soul for 3 hours

805smogtech
This post was updated on .
yikes. i'd probably start drinking early at home and just not come back after lunch if i'd done one car since 8:45am.

it seems to me that thats just the way the automotive industry works, at most shops i've been at at least. its busy, then its slow. everybody rushes in at the same time, the everybody leaves. its cyclical. busy in the summer, slow in winter especially couple weeks after halloween thru thanksgiving and then christmas. after new years it again picks up.

also i have always found it weird that if one of our machines is down, we get a lot more cars than normal for that machine. ois goes down, we get a lot less 99 and older and seemingly everything that comes in is 00 and up. bar 97 goes down we get a bunch of 99 and older crap or a bunch of motorhomes. seen it like that at two different smog shops in two different parts of the state so it can't be a coincidence. can it?

alas we were super slow yesterday, at least to how the last few months have gone. ended up around only 26 smogs. maybe 35 cars total? with oil changes and smog repairs

Re: not a soul for 3 hours

StarTech
Same exact thing for me in two different shops. It has to be something about the day that triggers certain people to come... not sure if income level/car worth has something to do with it or not but it sure seems related......

Also, on the day OP made this post, I only did two cars the entire day. Usually I’m around 7-18

Re: not a soul for 3 hours

805smogtech
sounds like the last shop i was at. some days i'd do 3 or 4 from 8:30am-5:30pm, and one saturday from 10-2 i did 22 freaking smogs. i was the only smog tech at that shop and we only had 1 ois and 1 bar 97. shop i'm at now has 4 licensed smog techs along with 2 ois and 2 bar 97. we average around 32 a day, and with oil changes,  smog related repairs, tire rotations and other assorted mechanical work around 40 cars a day pass thru

Re: not a soul for 3 hours

There are too many test only stations,

now for the customers it's driving the price down,
        for a few reasons the saturation of stations on every block and the 8 year exemption.

The industry as a whole has changed

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/not-a-soul-for-3-hours-tp5074807.html