o2 Sensor Relocation

cosmokramertheassman
Is it allowed? Yes or no?
This is a 4 catalyst V8 truck. (Two cats per bank)

Original location: on the pipe between cats
New location: welded into the body of 2nd cat.

Go.

Re: o2 Sensor Relocation

scanner
cosmokramertheassman wrote
Is it allowed? Yes or no?

NO

Re: o2 Sensor Relocation

cosmokramertheassman
^^ *Thumbs up*

Now, why is it so hard for muffler shops to understand this? I've got a customer coming back and forth because a muffler shop down the street is giving him bad information. Bunch of numbskulls out there, I tell ya.

Re: o2 Sensor Relocation

Scanner,

What if the o2 sensor hole is damage? And they mounted the o2 sensor down another 1". That's still fail? That would sucks..

Re: o2 Sensor Relocation

Just the Facts

Re: o2 Sensor Relocation

cosmokramertheassman
JTF, thanks for posting that. I had never seen that before. I'll print it out and bookmark it for future use.

Re: o2 Sensor Relocation

FiendFX wrote
What if the o2 sensor hole is damage? And they mounted the o2 sensor down another 1". That's still fail? That would sucks..
If there was room to move the oxygen sensor down 1" from it's original location, I'd do it.   I'd install a replacement bung like this one.
http://www.amazon.com/O2-Sensor-Bung/dp/B004X2ALG4   As long as it is placed between the cats, I would have no problem with that installation.

The original question was if I would allow someone to install an oxygen sensor onto the body of the cat itself. I would visually fail that cat.

Re: o2 Sensor Relocation

FiendFX
This subject is very controversial. What If they mount the o2 sensor sideway instead of vertical?

Re: o2 Sensor Relocation

scanner
FiendFX wrote
This subject is very controversial. What If they mount the o2 sensor sideway instead of vertical?

How would you know if it was the original configuration, or not?   Do you actively look for the orientation of an oxygen sensor?   Functionally, it wouldn't matter.

Re: o2 Sensor Relocation

FiendFX
You can tell because they welded the hole.

Re: o2 Sensor Relocation

scanner
FiendFX wrote
You can tell because they welded the hole.
Is this really worth discussing?