pending codes on retest

138541
van fails initial test for evap codes. Come back for free retest with pending code for evap. All monitors have ran. Do you retest or ship?
We shipped it and repair shop is being a cunt about it saying if all monitors are set we should test.
Not sure what BAR's position will be either.

Re: pending codes on retest

none
I have shipped them. If it was fixed right it wouldn't have a pending code is the way I figure it.

Re: pending codes on retest

fartvalve
It’s not a correct repair. Send them back to the shop.
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

Re: pending codes on retest

KeepItReal
I would have tested as received.

As long as the Bar doesn't fail cars for pending codes it's a pass.

It's your business so it's up to you what you do, but I think your asking for problems with the customer and the Bar when you tell the customer it won't pass when in reality if you test it, it will pass.

If you offer a free or a discounted price for the retest and refuse to retest the vehicle because of the pending code and they go somewhere else and the car passes, and every repair shop tells them the car will pass, I don't have to tell you what the customer is going to think about you.

Re: pending codes on retest

Al

The question really should be why do you care? You failed it initially so FPR is OK. The OIS has it's own agenda with each individual vehicle. It is what it is. If the machine passes it, it passes. You just administer the test. The system is the same across the state, so if you failed me and another station passes me, you are the bad guy. Want to be a bad guy? When will we stop treating this like a righteous calling and realize it is just a game. Play the game, follow the rules and do not make more of the program than what it is or has become.

Re: pending codes on retest

AL has the highest consistent FPR of anyone at a high volume shop I've seen. 'd say his system works.

I can't make everyone happy but I have seen over the years that some customers will fail every two years and run just enough to set the required monitors. Once I started requiring all monitors complete I have mostly eliminated that.

I know AL's had all the monitors complete but I would still have rejected it to protect my FPR which is LOW.

Re: pending codes on retest

Re: pending codes on retest

KeepItReal
the highest consistent FPR of anyone at a high volume shop I've seen.
That and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee.

Re: pending codes on retest

You do know that OBD2 does not address all vehicles the same. On some vehicles information is not available. The OBD2 standard, until recently, has been all over the place with different manufacturers doing different things to achieve compliance. OIS has a certain ability in itself that the programmers have done a great job with. I hope they know enough about the discrepancies as to not ding us for the issues that computer systems have with each other. We just input the data.

Re: pending codes on retest

Re: pending codes on retest

Re: pending codes on retest

KeepItReal wrote
none wrote
the highest consistent FPR of anyone at a high volume shop I've seen.
That and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee.
In an enhanced area your FPR can be worth a lot more than a cup of coffee though.

Re: pending codes on retest

KeepItReal wrote
none wrote
the highest consistent FPR of anyone at a high volume shop I've seen.
That and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee.
You can have your cup of coffee. I will keep my FPR.
STAR is worth $100,000 + in revenue per year for us.

Re: pending codes on retest

I'm surprised that shop doesn't want to make money off that potential repair. Unless they're the one's that did repair it only for the problem to return.
From fat to buff. Healthy diet and exercising is not expensive it takes will!

Re: pending codes on retest

Re: pending codes on retest

Fixing shit is expensive. Replacing all that is necessary and those borderline things that are close. Nothing is hard if you have the time (money) and resources (money) and a good technician (money).

Re: pending codes on retest

Absolutely ship.  Send some flowers and a box of tampons to the repair shop with a nice card. EDIT: Head off the BAR with a pre-emtive refund, cuz 'taint worth it.
The only thing about wearing a mask that bothers me is that the girls are a lot friendlier.

Re: pending codes on retest

StarTech
I do my best to have them fix it and tell them the check engine light will come back on. Usually i tell them the importance of the evap system and how it AFFECTS THE CUSTOMER in the long run. I've NEVER had a customer come back and say i'm the bad guy even after going to the mechanic. They always see me as the good guy because i have their interest at heart. (theirs and mine are on the same path). As I said before proper customer service skills are extremely important. You have to by a psychologist and a technician in our field.  My current FPR is great. My boss, who doesn't do the same things I do and tests as they come in-well his FPR is struggling hardcore. You have to educate the customer not just tell them results. Sometimes, depending on the severity and the person I may test it if it's a COMPLETE inconvenience such as its their last due date for their tags... because well, it's not my fault the computer passes a pending code.

Re: pending codes on retest

Any update?Did BAR side with customer?
From fat to buff. Healthy diet and exercising is not expensive it takes will!

Re: pending codes on retest

138541
somebody else passed it

 License Plate VIN (Vehicle ID Number)

When originally tested
p0455
p0456
p0457
when came back for retest it had p0457 pending

Submit

Vehicle Information
STAR Certification Required Referee Certification Required Program Area
NO NO Enhanced
Number of Tests Found = 4
Test Records
Make Model Year Date / Time Pass / Fail Certificate Referee Inspection
DODGE GRAND CARAVAN SXT 2005 02/16/2018 05:08 p.m. P HN444414C NO
DODGE GRAND CARAVAN SXT 2005 02/12/2018 12:13 p.m. F NO
DODGE GRAND CARAVAN SXT 2005 03/21/2016 11:41 a.m. P YZ878137C NO
DODGE GRAND CARAVAN SXT 2005 03/16/2016 02:33 p.m. R NO