plug and play mistakes

Low-score
Gross Polluter and OBD II passed,I know everybody knows this ,I just thought it would be a good idea of maybe having a bunch of people doing this,I am sure i we collect a few,i might make more sense to anybody willing to listen to us.

Re: plug and play mistakes

kilativ
This is 1998. Bad CATs. No plug and play for that one. Probably 4Runers was not programmed for monitoring CATs back then.

Re: plug and play mistakes

Low-score
Very true....

Re: plug and play mistakes

kilativ wrote
This is 1998. Bad CATs. No plug and play for that one. Probably 4Runers was not programmed for monitoring CATs back then.
Don't shoot the cats until you scope the upstream O2 sensors!  I had a CrAP repair with a similar vehicle and similar numbers (maybe not that high on HC), and it wound up being O2 sensors that weren't lazy enough to code, but lazy enough to adversely affect the catalyst reduction ability (sloppy fuel control).  The after-repairs test passed comfortably, with no catalyst replacement necessary!

I shit you not!

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: plug and play mistakes

kilativ
I am just looking at facts from VIR. That vehicle has 212284 miles on it, and I assuming it is time for CATs to go bad. Another thing, all gases are high. NOx, CO, HC, and have some O2 left. Plus slow HO2 sensor would probably set the code. But I agree with you, BASIC FIRST.

Re: plug and play mistakes

Reactor
Anybody caught antifoulers or spacers on the rear O2 sensors yet? I did on a riced out turbo GTI ('09 CAN). Had similar readings with no CEL.

Re: plug and play mistakes

Reactor,

I've heard about that, but never witnessed it first-hand.  All of the ricers that I test have a suspicious look about them, like stock pea-shooter exhaust systems and stock air cleaners that look like they've spent a lot of time in someone's closet or attic.

Sincerely,

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: plug and play mistakes

Mark
"ricers" LMFAO Your a Harley man I would guess

Re: plug and play mistakes

kilativ,

I agree with your gut feeling  ... cat.  I just like to be as thorough as possible, whenever possible.

The lambda calculations are 1.012 for ASM 5015 and 1.007 for ASM 2525, indicative of a slightly lean condition or exhaust leak.  My preferred diagnostic path in this OBD2 case would be:

1) Check for any DTCs in Modes $03 and $07.  Take a brief look for any applicable TSBs.

2) Take a look at Modes $01 and $06, and look for any suspicious readings that may have not coded.

3) Make sure that its running on all six cylinders, all the time.

4) Make sure that the upstream O2 sensor(s) can pass the min/max and response tests on the scope.

5) Make sure that there are no upstream air leaks, and verify fuel control.

6) Perform an intrusive catalyst test during an ASM 5015 manual mode.

I can usually do this in about an hour or two for most vehicles, but it often takes longer than that due to a constant stream of distractions and interruptions, and it is rare for a customer to have that kind of patience in my neighborhood.  That was one part of the CrAP program that I actually enjoyed, since my boss invariably told those customers that they had to leave their vehicles for at least 24-hours, or take it somewhere else.  Even with a decent-quality diagnosis, it was rare to find a CrAP customer willing to pay out of their own pocket when the repair estimate went over $500, so I was often forced to prioritize the repairs, and do as many as I could under the limit, with mixed results.

Sincerely,

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: plug and play mistakes

Mark wrote
"ricers" LMFAO Your a Harley man I would guess
Please understand that I don't use that term as an intentionally racist remark; its a pun on the word 'racer'.  I use it to characterize a certain attitude, one that favors noise and looks over actual performance.  I have plenty of friends; white, brown, yellow, and black, and I somehow manage to offend them all roughly equally.

I think that many Asian products are quite nice, and often favor them over the equivalent domestic and European products.  Here's my 30-year list of daily drivers, to show you what I mean:  78 Ford, 65 Ford, 71 Pontiac, 82 Honda, 81 Datsun, 86 Dodge, 80 Oldsmobile, 87 Toyota, 89 Toyota, 98 Kia.

My apologies if I offended anyone ...

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: plug and play mistakes

kilativ
barrym95838 wrote
The lambda calculations are 1.012 for ASM 5015 and 1.007 for ASM 2525, indicative of a slightly lean condition or exhaust leak.
Or, maybe leaking exhaust flex probe?

Re: plug and play mistakes

kilativ wrote
Or, maybe leaking exhaust flex probe?
Quite true.  I take pretty good care of my machine, though, far better than most of my customers take care of their cars (including me)!

Take it easy,

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: plug and play mistakes

just another shop owner
  I think the point should be Passed light, Failed tail pipe

  DAD will work?

 The air will get worse. STAR is not working, we get blamed again for a flawed test. Here comes a Hamilton type test stations.

Re: plug and play mistakes

I've saved and shared 20-plus VIR's with 2-BAR Reps., where 2000 and newer vehicles failed
emissions but passed OBD. I did get their attention. One Rep. even elevated the VIR's
to someone higher up in the BAR. Where the VIR's are now or what the BAR does with them is anyone's
guess.
One of the BAR Reps. even questioned me: "some of the vehicles could have been stone cold".
I wanted to get into his face!! That BAR Rep. does not have a Smog Check Technician License.
Heck, at least one of those 20-plus vehicles was a 2-Speed Idle, where I had to
precondition the Cat. for 3-minutes.
What puzzles me is that the BAR has ALL this data at their disposal.

Re: plug and play mistakes

Accused
I get this from BAR reps at the field office level.  I have been told that thousands of cars per week can be pulled from the VID that show this exact result. They know plug and play is a bad idea but were prohibited to speak out during the "Sherry" years and so were denied input on this.

Now it is law and there may not be anything to stop it.