question of the day

FiendFX
What is a pre-test?

An unofficial smog inspection.

What is the purpose/benefit of a pre-test? Does DMV knows if the car fails on a pre-test?

Re: question of the day

reactor

Re: question of the day

autojoe505
basically the only advantage is that it wont be marked a gross polluter, if it i does gp. but really in the bars eyes it is the same as a regular smog just no certificate will be issued if it passes no half assing allowed... honestly if you are a star station you should never do a pretest... only if you are a regular smog shop

Re: question of the day

reactor
The Cert doesn't get issued, so whoever asked for it saves $8.25
No idea why anybody want a Pre-Test though.

Re: question of the day

Citation Addict
If you are Test and Repair you use a pre test to run a baseline test to confirm a failure. You also use a pretest if somebody like a DIY customer wants to check the smog results after they do a repair, its the same with the technician to confirm an after repairs result after any major smog related repair is done.

As for the test results showing up in the DMV database, no. But in the state computer, yes it does.

Re: question of the day

909Smog
Non-STAR stations cant do tests on STAR or GP vehicles other than pre-test mode.

Re: question of the day

If you are STAR, it makes no sense, and is a complete waste of time, at least from an inspector's point of view.  One exception to this is a CrAP baseline test ... if it squeaks through the baseline with a certificate, you've instantly lost the repair and opened yourself up for FuPR side-effects.

If you are not STAR, it allows you to get the benefit of an initial fail, without the risk of losing the retest to STAR (via GP).  If you are repairing a directed vehicle, it's the best proof that a non-STAR station can offer regarding repair effectiveness.

When test-only first appeared, 007 used to use pretests to catch problems for walk-ins with directed paperwork, and offer his diagnostic and repair services for any fails, instead of just giving up and pointing the customer to the nearest test-only center.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/SMOG-REQUIRED-AT-STAR-STATION-ONLY-tp5003299p5003320.html;cid=1380762777337-377

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: question of the day

tampered
barrym95838 wrote

When test-only first appeared, 007 used to use pretests to catch problems for walk-ins with directed paperwork, and offer his diagnostic and repair services for any fails, instead of just giving up and pointing the customer to the nearest test-only center.
And just think of all the CAP $$$ he saved the taxpayers!
Charity begins at work

Re: question of the day

So, if the customer wants to get an extension for his registration and he desires to get a pre-test done instead, would this be valid?

Re: question of the day

I always thought pre-test is plain dumb for a STAR certified station. I think it's good for non-STAR station to get easy extra money from this to get a baseline of the emission testing. I also hearsay if you do a pre-test and the vehicle happens to be a GP, that vehicle wouldn't need to be smog every year.

Re: question of the day

Citation Addict
No, it has to be a full on test because the test results are still sent eventhough it was a fail.

Re: question of the day

If it vehicle fails as a GP, does it need to be smog every year?

Re: question of the day

kfworry
To my knowledge it has never been required to smog test a GP every year.

Re: question of the day

FiendFX
So it's just becomes a directed vehicle only I'm assuming.