some timing check procedures a/t

dmlusmc
some cars and manuals say that car if a/t must be in gear to check the right timing so then it would take two technicians to do it safely one sitting in the car with their foot on the brake the other with the timing light checking it. Also on the older ford taurus cars its very hard to see the timing marks on the passenger side so its best to turn the wheel for better visibility.

Re: some timing check procedures a/t

I have had to ask for help from someone else in the shop from time to time, to perform a timing or EGR functional with an acceptable safety margin.  If I was a one-man shop, I would have to reject those and move on.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: some timing check procedures a/t

D Rochells 150861
When you only get 5 a day, you gotta make shit work. Drive wheels on dyno, chocks, parking brake so long as it works and releases, straps, throttle sticks, bricks etc. Long vacuum lines to do EGR funky stuff. BRAINS, most important thing.

And on old Taruii, its better to turn the wheel than to have to find the star in the trannies hole, after digging around for the SPOUT.

Fuck you Ford, BTW.

Re: some timing check procedures a/t

justa
Banned User

Re: some timing check procedures a/t

D Rochells 150861
Maybe Im thinking of Tempo, well a Ford with a T in any case. Has the marks on tranny flexplate like VW.

Re: some timing check procedures a/t

I still see (and check) plenty of Tauri with missing labels or labels that do NOT state non-adjustable.  My old boss at Smog Hog got popped with a 3.8L UC Taurus set at TDC, and it's still on his record after almost 14 years (135721).

The Tempo/Topaz check usually can be made slightly less difficult by removing the resonator laying across the top of the radiator ... all you need is an 8mm socket.  I've smogged a couple of 3.0L Tempos too ... strange little turds.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: some timing check procedures a/t

justa
Banned User

Re: some timing check procedures a/t

D wrote

And on old Taruii, its better to turn the wheel than to have to find the star in the trannies hole, after digging around for the SPOUT.

Fuck you Ford, BTW.
D, Knowing you are from the bay area that statement gave an uneasy feeling.

Re: some timing check procedures a/t

just another shop owner wrote
Barry, a shop got nailed on that very car your talking about. Took the BAR to court and WON. The only time I have heard any one win.

 Bar came out with a BLAST. It stated put N\A.

 If you read the label it says 10 with spout pulled. Then farther on says it was set at factory and N\A (To that effect)
There are plenty of older Tauruses that do have adjustable ignition timing and the label does NOT say "not adjustable"

Re: some timing check procedures a/t

D wrote
Maybe Im thinking of Tempo, well a Ford with a T in any case. Has the marks on tranny flexplate like VW.
I've checked many Taurii with automatic equipped 2.5L platforms.   Many times you had to move the wiring harness away from the window to see the timing marks on the flexplate.

I failed one for timing when the fleet I serviced had replaced the transmission with one without the timing window.

Re: some timing check procedures a/t

Car's required to be in gear, I block the wheels and have e-brake on.

Re: some timing check procedures a/t

smgmn
Same, Fiend your a beast :). I aint letting that money get way myself or get fined. I chalk 2 wheels with 4 wheel chocks, e-brake hopefully works. Tell my wife i love her if i get ran over or it hits the new suv in the parking lot ..... LMFAO !!!

Mark

Re: some timing check procedures a/t

FiendFX
smgmn,

unless someone inside is gonna step on the gas... lol