tire pressure check survey.

smogg27
What do you guys do for tire pressure checks.
A) check them on all cars for free.
B ) check them for a fee. If so how much?
C) have a customer wave it and make them do it with in 7 days.
D) just don't do it and not mention it on the R.O.

What is the proper way of doing it.

I always wave it. If the customer wants it done we charge $10.00.

Re: tire pressure check survey.

FiendFX
Never heard of anyone charging for air besides the gas station self serve.

Re: tire pressure check survey.

A) All of them free.  It becomes a pain in the ass when the valve stem leaks after checking, or the hubcaps are covering the valve stems and shatter when removed or replaced, but I just do my best, and write it up at the bottom of the VIR.

If it's a dually with caked mud or rat's nests, or the hubcaps are zip-tied on, I'll just write "unaccessible" and proceed.

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: tire pressure check survey.

GrossPolluter
Check them all for free and write tire psi on the VIR

If you do not want to check them, list a tire pressure service fee. If they don't have to pay for it, most will not want to

Re: tire pressure check survey.

FRUSTRATED
There was a BAR blast advising that this service needs to be included in the smog check price, i.e. same as the transmittal fee.  Don't open yourself up to thousands of dollars worth of a citation.

Re: tire pressure check survey.

autojoe505
by law you are supposed to check the drive wheels. that is the wheels on the dyno on every car you smog.... however i doubt they are trying to bust people on this i will say if there is an issue and later found that low tires played a part, you might be wishing you would have just checked it real quick

Re: tire pressure check survey.

Dual rear or "dually's" wheeled vehicles and vehicles over 10,000 GVWR
are not required to be check, but make a note on VIR and invoice
to CYA!!!!
The Clowns at the BAR want to dictate what we charge for, BS!!!!
Then the consumer complains: "why is the price so high"????

Re: tire pressure check survey.

this is true. it's stated in the smog inspection manual. there was even a bar blast stated you must check tire pressure before smogging this year.

Re: tire pressure check survey.

007
If you read the bar blast the last sentance says follow the ARB guidelines, regulation 95550 is a law. Follow the law and you will be just fine. You can not write procedures or contracts that superceed or change the law. The law says the custimor can decline the service and the law says you can charge for the service. That is why the bar blast says to follow the ARB guidelines.

Re: tire pressure check survey.

Citation Addict
I check them in the name of saftey, especially if its a dyno test. The only time I do not is if the tires are the incorrect size for the vehicle.....Example: A lifted truck with the 36 inch Tire size.

Re: tire pressure check survey.

007
IF it is safety your are worried about, i hope you are strapping every car down. After 100k dyno tests, I have never had a tire cause a problem other then tech error letting the vechile get to close to the center plate and smoke a tire. Or if the tire is flat, which is very visable to the eye.

Re: tire pressure check survey.

FiendFX
there are cars will bald tires or bad tire wear you must strap the car down. But it's seldom.

Re: tire pressure check survey.

sandman
I just eyeball them.   mainly because I don't want a vehicle pulling and dancing on the dyno.   if its low i put air in them, if im very busy, most ill do is air up the drive wheels that will go on the dyno.  I never forget to write the tire pressure on the invoice/wo

Re: tire pressure check survey.

I agree with 007 ,customer may decline if already done within30 days or promises to do them within 7 days. We may charge for this service , customers usually decline. However if the drive tires are low I will adjust the psi for free.

Re: tire pressure check survey.

Damstar
Are you saying dually's do no have to be ran in Asm mode.

Re: tire pressure check survey.

kfworry
Most dual rear wheel vehicles are 10,000 GVWR anyway, so NO ASM.
I did have a Toyota Motor Home with rear dual wheels that WAS under 10,000 GVWR,
and the ASM was easy to run. That was the rare exception to the Dual Rear Wheel vehicle.
Check the GVWR.

Re: tire pressure check survey.

Damstar
Thanks man for the info!