visible smoke

smog king101
Just failed a guy for blue visible smoke he didnt look very happy. Told me if he takes it somewhere else and it passes, then what. Then he drives off and returns and says his lights are blinking and werent before. This is the shit we as technicians have to deal with.  I told him if he wasnt happy with smoke test c the referee. I dont give a rats about his lights. He was there and witnessed his dam car smoking. What do u guys think?
Al

Re: visible smoke

Al
The lights problem I have had too many times that now I write them down on WO as soon as I get into car before the smog test. That way the pre-existing problem is documented on their estimate copy.

The smoke failure I refer to referee. I let them know the referee is there for this type of disagreement. That they give a free test. That you would only have to pay for the cert if it passed. I also inform them that if they want a refund for the smog check I performed that a passed cert from the referee would be the only way to get one.

But I would never tell a customer that I didnt give a rats ass about him or his car. Even though I think it.

Re: visible smoke

Mark
Anywhere he goes the machine is going to show a failure.
The shop is going to want to know why. Smoke failure is
very subjective. It changes with oil level engine temp
possibly how far up the ramp and if there is a ramp can
change the amount of smoke. Also the mood of the tech
that tested it that day. I would say if you saw smoke,
then it smoked If it don't smoke now then something
changed. Something that is not your problem and out of
your control.

Re: visible smoke

oiram5
Most customers will always be upset when their vehicle fails. Document everything u see,hear or smell on the invoice and VIR. make sure u always advise customer of issues found while performing the inspection and it should save u alot of headaches from those "special customer".I personally document everything on invoice and make customer sign next to the documentation of issues found. If a customer ever challenges the work u have done all u can do is keep calm and send them to a referee. Try not to be rude/mean and be professinal when dealing with those "special customer" we all get. Investing in video cameras wouldnt be a bad idea.

Re: visible smoke

reactor
I recommend taking a picture of the tailpipe smoke. I always take a pic of all visual failures- that comes handy in case they make request for refund. Especially since it's possible to temporarily mask the problem using oil additive.

Re: visible smoke

justa
Banned User

Re: visible smoke

RussellJames

Re: visible smoke

firewalker
Give money back. BAR allways sides with customer. You will sleep good today!

Re: visible smoke

smog king101
Had customer call me and said he took it to other shop and passed. Heres the kicker he said when he did the snap it was smoking twice as much and he passed it. I told him to take to ref or call bar, and if ref passes it , i will refund him . What a laugh man.

Re: visible smoke

sandman
     fine line there,  but I usually fail visible smoke if throughout the dyno run its smoking (besides the bar snap test), and if the costumer is there and covering up his/her nose.  sometimes I just let the machine decide, I mean that's why the machine is there right?

Re: visible smoke

what kind of car was it?

Re: visible smoke

vehicle doesn't fail for visible smoke during dyno run. it's after the dyno testing.

Re: visible smoke

smog king101
2003 chevy cavalier over 200k miles on it. I really hope i get a visit from bar.

Re: visible smoke

FiendFX
if a vehicle is really burning oil, you can mask the smoke but not mask the smell. after the dyno run, examining the tailpipe for smoke for 10 seconds, any smoke black, blue or grey within those 10 seconds is consider a fail. i would note on the VIR if it was smoking a lot or a little and the color. you did your job.

Re: visible smoke

OceanViewTch
BAR snap test...tailpipe during the idle test...tailpipe during the BAR snap test..crankcase during the underhood visual inspection.....for the techs that actually look under the hood...there is a visible smoke test failure consumer information sheet.fail that shit!!

Re: visible smoke

smog king101
This was during the snap test. Blue smoke on snap!

Re: visible smoke

justa
Banned User

Re: visible smoke

reactor

Re: visible smoke

kiddowntheblock
I've seen lots of cars that'll fail the snap test before the dyno, and pass it after the dyno test. I've also seen cars that'll smoke on the first snap but will pass on the second and third.  I fail the former, and pass the latter, but ill do the snap test a few times, waiting 3-5 minutes between each one. Smoke is such a subjective thing that I will take a video if there is any doubt. If the customer complains about a smoke failure, I show them the visual smoke failure info sheet, and tell them any shop willing to pass them while it is smoking is not following the law. Most customers will leave the shop without complaining too much after that.

Re: visible smoke

smog king101
After dyno . i perform it when its on the other emission related prompt screen. Then enter results!
12