what grinds my gears

Kriss Vector

Re: what grinds my gears

deviationmaster
 OIS is the biggest BS by the state for cheaters, PROGRAMMERS GLORY

Re: what grinds my gears

justa
Banned User

Re: what grinds my gears

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Easy-to-trick-OIS-must-watch-this-tp5031680p5031804.html

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: what grinds my gears

909 Smog
I had a guy down the street from me lose his tech license and shop for clean plugging cars using a different car.  He used to brag how smart he was and wasn't any way to get caught.  Eventually it caught up with him.

I've heard second hand from a guy with friends in the BAR that they already have a large list of shops using simulating devices on OIS.  The shops have no idea what the BAR is looking for to catch them and the simulating device data sticks out like a sore thumb.  Just like the busted shop down the street from me, all of the shops and techs are just hanging themselves and will be losing their shops and tech licenses in the future without even knowing it.  I have no sympathy for 'em.  I just wish it didn't take so long.

Re: what grinds my gears

Just the Facts

Re: what grinds my gears

Yep media attention critical! OIS has more tricks than we know and if you are a cheat you are a cheat. Maybe they designed something in there to confirm or deny fraud. I think media attention should be focused on the failure to verify tailpipe when cars are living longer and people are more neglectful than ever!

Re: what grinds my gears

909 smog I bet you're one of those guys who cheats in that ghetto area you are in. How much do you charge 250?

Re: what grinds my gears

cosmokramertheassman
^^909 taking the high road it seems.

Re: what grinds my gears

909 Smog wrote
... and the simulating device data sticks out like a sore thumb ...
Then that simulating device doesn't appear to be of adequate quality.  I know that there are plenty of individuals around with more than enough skill to build one that cannot be detected without direct video evidence.  It's only a matter of time before the red-necks and ricers hook up with them, if they haven't already.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

@z:  Fuck you, sir!

Re: what grinds my gears

Johnnybeme
I see a better way. Make a device that you substutue for the OBD2 connector. Then the tech will not even be in the loop. You get the kit with a OBD2 connector and mount it where the vehicle connector is and whala. Power and rpm are all you need and then of course the right program. Non smog shops would make tons of money and techs would not tell the difference. Actually would that not be a good UC setup? Boy better not give them ideas..............................................

Re: what grinds my gears

Kriss Vector

Re: what grinds my gears

Just the Facts

Re: what grinds my gears

Exactly easy man. It opens a whole new can of worms and maybe a change in visual inspection procedures. If these devices are even made it seems that it would be a punishable offense to purposely modify the OBD data port. I seriously doubt that this device is really usable because of vehicle specific checksums but it is an interesting twist I am sure will be dealt with in the future. I hope the idiots try and get the full penalty of the law. Charge more and be happy!

Re: what grinds my gears

none
Johnnybeme wrote
maybe a change in visual inspection procedures. If these devices are even made it seems that it would be a punishable offense to purposely modify the OBD data port.
JM
If I had to fail every car that has a controller in line and a new OBD2 port installed I would have to FAIL every AT&T fleet car I get in because they all have an "Autotap OBDII Streamer" hooked in under the dash. It looks like a factory GM or Ford OBDII connector in the original location but if you look up under the dash you see that the wires run to a module and the original OBDII connector is zip tied above the factory bracket and has another connector in it leading to the module too. The module collects data for maintenance or to tell on the driver.

Without looking underneath the dash you would never know the OBDII connector has been changed. It looks completely stock.

Here is a picture I took under the dash of a 2000 Cavalier from AT&T. The bottom one shows the DAD plugged into the A/M OBDII connector.