what is a smog check?

007
What is this new referee propaganda bs, The new flyer asks this question what is a smog check?
Answer on the flyer "smog checks are designed to measure the amount and type of pollutants your vehicle is emitting." Really then why are we not doing that on 2000 and newer?  another quote on the flyer " smog check referees have the expertise and equipment necessary to resolve special smog check situations" Customer thinks they have the equipment to check his failed car, I just laughed. Let the referee explain it to him.

Re: what is a smog check?

FiendFX
The real question is why switch to OIS? They want us to buy extra equipment for what?

Re: what is a smog check?

Another bs crap from bar. In short terms: ''feel you are getting ripped off? Go to our specialized black ops smog technicians, they know more that those dirty looking monkey wrenchers.'' I lost respect to referee's when a colleague had a dilemma with a tundra. It had an intake and had a vacuum line blocked with a screw so it failed. The customer went to the referee and passed the truck with the screw in the vacuum line.

Re: what is a smog check?

I don't know about you but I am not answering another dumbshit question again 1-800-622-7733 get the help I have been providing free for years! I am also handing out pamphlets to shorten bad conversations! Praise be to BAR!

Re: what is a smog check?

justa
Banned User

Re: what is a smog check?

D Rochells 150861
I heard they were going to put Ref.org and CAP pamphlets in the DMV renewal envelopes of all the HEP cars...in my dreams after smoking crack.

Re: what is a smog check?

Calibration Required
Johnnybeme wrote
I don't know about you but I am not answering another dumbshit question again 1-800-622-7733 get the help I have been providing free for years! I am also handing out pamphlets to shorten bad conversations! Praise be to BAR!

JM

Exactly how I feel.

Makes my job easier? I'm all for it.  Customers that want to ask 101 questions leave me with no choice but to let them know that they get five free questions, anything more than that, I charge $5.

Re: what is a smog check?

locopoco
I threw everything in the trash except the holder and only 10 brochures.I don't want to look like I'm not cooperating with BAR's agenda, but this in my opinion ,is another BS wasted fund.Somebody got a good deal for printing and shipping of this crap.
My question is why now after all these years?there is always the 1-800.... number if there is a problem but in my 15 years in this location,I had maybe once or twice customers that required me to send them to referee and usually those were crappy and questionable cars that I would not test anyways.

Re: what is a smog check?

locopoco
OH, one more thing when the FED EX guy showed up with the package addressed from BAR and wanted a signature I almost crapped myself thinking it's UC bust.
iha

Re: what is a smog check?

iha
Seems that AsktheRef.org is Bar way of nudging Star stations aside. The industry is on a slippery slope with AB550 and its potential to gut OBD1, slide 96 and newer to OIS and we are screwed. Only thing that will be left are minimum wage jobs,, I see another 3 years before all the $ is gone. I will be at full retirement age so I suppose it wont matter.

Re: what is a smog check?

Karupt
I#is a way for sending all cars to the  ommunity colleges b where BAR will have its Rep ones in training So we are just helping them with free advertising and an easier transition when the state takes all our jobs except for the Certified Repair stations of course .In that case the Referee/rep ones will be sending vehicles to us for repairs

Re: what is a smog check?

eggs I don't think referee's can handle all the volume if they are trying to take over. What they gonna have student smog helpers help them since they are in community colleges?

Re: what is a smog check?

thirdeye
OBD2 is designed to turn on the MIL when the vehicles emissions exceed a specified threshold. So, in a way, OIS is measuring the pollutants of the vehicle.

Re: what is a smog check?

D Rochells 150861
Well the clean air car course et all is designed to make selfless highly competent techs and we all know how well that worked out.

Re: what is a smog check?

Z , why not ? they can fit at least four dynos at any given auto shop at any local community college .

Re: what is a smog check?

smgmn
Ive seen cars pass the obd test in the past, but gross polllute for Nox. So how is the ois gonna  catch that? Should start a new thread on this subject ois is a joke and they know it. It is so obvious what they are trying to do.

Mark

Re: what is a smog check?

smgmn
This post was updated on .
And just to add, i retrieved all that crap that came in the box my boss threw away, just incase a rep comes by and asks where it is. They have checked to see if we had the cap forms available. Hate to kiss those fuckers asses, but if thats what it takes to keep a roof over my families head im doin it!

Mark

Re: what is a smog check?

dmlusmc
Thats why I want to ethier get the real ASEs and learn the diag and repair side or shipout and find another field  that pays more with a bright future of stability. My thoughts are: real estate,care taking or accounting

Re: what is a smog check?

iha
I have a BS in Accounting... Sac State... and it does not mean a thing... all the Accounting, Architecture, Call Center Support, any field that can be shipped over seas is a dead end. You got to get into a field that is hands on, something that can not ship out to a low cost labor country... I worked for Intel in engineering tech support until those jobs got transferred to Costa Rica . I trained my replacements,, got to spend three months there,, basically it was a knowledge transfer.  Too young to retire , too old to be hired,,, so here I am. Hands on is the way to go..until the robots take over!!!

Re: what is a smog check?

Karupt
I agree IHA . I am in the same situation. ASE is the waygo and get hired by a repair shop .THE BAR does not care about the DIVISION they made in the 1980s called TEST ONLY and TEST and REPAIR . WITH the NEW CHEAT PROOF OIS , there will be no need for test onlies . NOW the customer is not being cheated ,see? plug this in and voila . ITs time to make your test only a test and repair or do like Justa , heck I even thought of selling burritos and tacos and sodas out of my shop . Thanks to star though I do not have a shop anymore . hey everyone have a good day I am off to get a breakfast burrito made myself hungry