why is my star score dropping so low?

MIGI G
does anyone know why my score is dropping so low?
 I stop working test only about 2 years ago. work at a dealership now, only do like 3 or 4 new used cars a day or government fleet vehicles. ever since I started working at the dealer, my score just kept dropping. followed the book been doing this for 8 years now. had my score at .98 before and now it went from .78, .58, .29, now .05.....im like wtf.....i don't need my star score but dam if  really needed a job I would be fk......i just dont get how?????

Re: why is my star score dropping so low?

none
The cars you tested two years ago are being tested by someone else now who is failing them is my guess.

Re: why is my star score dropping so low?

MIGI G
if I try to call the bar office, do you know if they are able to tell me why its dropping so low?

Re: why is my star score dropping so low?

WealdstoneRaider
Once it drops below .10 you definitely weren't performing quality inspections.
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: why is my star score dropping so low?

MIGI G
I just think the system is broken, didn't you read the only thing different i haven't been doing is smog about 45 cars a day like I use to. I'm only doing like 4 or 5 every other day. quality inspections my ass.

Re: why is my star score dropping so low?

none
MIGI G wrote
I just think the system is broken, didn't you read the only thing different i haven't been doing is smog about 45 cars a day like I use to. I'm only doing like 4 or 5 every other day. quality inspections my ass.
It isn't what you are doing now. It is what you were doing two years ago though.

Re: why is my star score dropping so low?

I believe the volume of cars has a big effect on your score. I just dropped to my lowest score this time. Doing less than half of the cars I usually do.

Re: why is my star score dropping so low?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Your score drops, BFD. It's a hassle but you do the "Appeal thing" Never get a "Formal Appeal" and your score goes back up.

 DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT? STAR will never hold up in a Formal Appeal. It will be thrown out. Thus they will raise your score back up.

Re: why is my star score dropping so low?

Able
Thats the Million Dollar question!

my score has always dropped no matter how I've been inspecting. This situation is very similar among many techs here.

So every 6 months we just keep our fingers crossed.

Re: why is my star score dropping so low?

The star program works. I stopped clean piping in January of this year and my score went from .05 to .50

I understand its from two years ago, but what I don't get, I tested every car like if was a bar car. fail vehicle's that needed to fail and pass ones that pass by the book. and what do i get at the end of the day by being a honest tech to the star system is a fk you imao .

I suspected the volume would have something to do with it.
I call them today already a couple of times, straight to voice mail. seems like no ones home. I wonder if they are able to tell me the cause of why it goes down? has anyone had any luck with that?

Re: why is my star score dropping so low?

Re: why is my star score dropping so low?

planters
My score dropped below .40 for the first time last January. Before that I was always in the .6 to .8 range. I don't know why it went from sixties to low thirties, but might have to do with the new shop I started working in 2018 is in a lower income area with older and more junky cars.

But lucky for me when I checked my score this morning it went back up above .5.
That's a relief but I'm not sure what I did to make it go back up.

Re: why is my star score dropping so low?

So the majority of previously inspected cars you did are now failing. If you want to know if lower volume affects you wait another 2 years.
Exercise and dividends,dividends, DIVIDENDS.

Re: why is my star score dropping so low?

MIGI G
yeah let  Realistically wait 2 years to find out if my score will be affected,  because of the low volume I do IMAO Bar needs to get real....well most of the cars I smog now are government which are not part of the star program and slightly used vehicles from the dealership, which have 6 to 8 years of exemption for smog.....after I smog them.....
well about ready to throw in the towel for inspection and just do repair only......makes more money anyways thats why I stop doing test only I tired of it..... can't wait for the state to eventually cut the smog inspection side of smog....big smile for me alot of those bar assholes are gonna lose there jobs......there's not gonna be no need for them anymore.....but its gonna sucks for smog only techs tho

Re: why is my star score dropping so low?

BayAreaSmogTech
MIGI G wrote
does anyone know why my score is dropping so low?
 I stop working test only about 2 years ago. work at a dealership now, only do like 3 or 4 new used cars a day or government fleet vehicles. ever since I started working at the dealer, my score just kept dropping. followed the book been doing this for 8 years now. had my score at .98 before and now it went from .78, .58, .29, now .05.....im like wtf.....i don't need my star score but dam if  really needed a job I would be fk......i just dont get how?????

Lack of volume, lack of failures and you're probably not inputting any repairs in the system.

Re: why is my star score dropping so low?

smoggee
When you worked at the test only, did anyone else have your password?
Never attribute to conspiracy that which can be explained by incompetence

Re: why is my star score dropping so low?

Knitpickens
You can try , all I got is "don't preheat the catalytic" which I wasn't doing .I told them and kept asking if I needed to fail more cars he kept saying "I can't be any more clear " without saying yes or no . So, I think if it fails for emmissions you must also look for a cracked pcv hose,  a cracked gas cap , any visual failures will help keep your score up . But don't ask me , my score is less than STAR. I have been doing non star smogs now for a couple months and working a second job . Its less stressful .

Re: why is my star score dropping so low?

MIGI G
no I was the only one there. and the owner was absent.just had a service writer tho
12